Buying advice - women’s bike

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
And not even a women’s specific MTB... For the missus (honestly!).

She has a late 70s Peugeot Mixte which is cool, but it’s 17kg and a pain to get on the bus bike racks. It’s also a bit clunky and rattly... But she likes the upright step through bikes - she prefers to amble along and the riding position is kind to her car accident whiplash ravaged neck.

She liked the Tokyobike, but I cannot come at $900 for something that has screw on cassette.

https://www.tokyobike.com.au/tokyobike-bisou

Spec is pathetic for the dollars, but the hipsters love them!!

I reckon this is the go https://www.liv-cycling.com/au/beliv-f-2018

Anyone got any other ideas for 500-1000 for something in this style?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You will struggle unless there has been a revolution lately. I ended up getting a large Jamis girls bike from Analconda. It was being run out so I paid less than half RRP. Junked most of the running gear though. Then I fitted decent running gear. Fox 32s, redpower XL wheels, Lev dropper, decent bars, Deore/XT 1x11, hydro brakes and 2.3/2.1 tyres. Weighs in under 12kg. Rides very nice as long as you dont knee yourself in the chin.

Some stuff I had, some new and some used from here. Probably more than $1,000 but not by much. Had some pics somewhere, will see what I can find.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Can't believe I'm writing this, but Big W have a step-thru that's labelled as a Diamond Back, that's alloy framed with mostly okay gear if you don't expect too much, for around $300.

Haakon

Spend more.
Happy to spend what it takes to get a decent bike.

We got this Reid a while back https://www.reidcycles.com.au/ladie...NLBE0mSgLIlVZY788nFRnF8k5HeqEZUBoCYEUQAvD_BwE

It was a nice bike, well enough made and rode smoothly. But it had a steep head angle and was a twitchy bastard. Compare to the old Peugeot that is rock solid. She came off it once and that was the end of that bike! She was doubting her sanity and thought she had forgotten to how to ride for a while.

So she is being a bit more discerning and test riding things first!

Last edited:

Haakon

Where do you plan on taking her? Step through and MTB are mutually exclusive.
I have my old hardtail converted with an NX 1x11 and a women’s saddle - have had her on it a couple of times around the easy trails at Kowen, but there is minimal enthusiasm...

Haakon

Can't believe I'm writing this, but Big W have a step-thru that's labelled as a Diamond Back, that's alloy framed with mostly okay gear if you don't expect too much, for around $300.
That’s the spec level on the $900 Tokyo bike! Might be worth a look... That level of Shimano kit can be ok if looked after properly and it’s not going to be pushed beyond its design limits on this bike.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If she has a bit of a rattled body, get her a dual suspension bike, what some town tyres on it, and left her be comfy.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Be careful of frames that only take a 1" fork/headset if you want to updrade to some decent forks.