Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Just received my DHL parcel from Bike24.

For anyone interested, I ordered 5th August, Frankfurt Airport Terminal party from 6th-18th August, arriving with me on the 22nd (Melbourne)
17 days isn't too bad considering I saved $70 on a pair of tyres and $150 on brakes and rotors
Mine is also showing as delivered this morning just after 10.

I ordered on the 5th of August as well.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ive had 3 places argue with me lately that after paying for Express postage that its ok for them to take a day to pack it as Express is not Express anymore, taking 3-4 days between inner city postcodes. Including MTBdirect and after a heated live chat I told them I would never order another item from them again EVER.

Fork and dropper posted by @Scotty675 yesterday in Hobart ! Looks like #2 son will be riding a 29er at the Melrose18 this weekend.

animalman86

Likes Bikes
Ive had 3 places argue with me lately that after paying for Express postage that its ok for them to take a day to pack it as Express is not Express anymore, taking 3-4 days between inner city postcodes. Including MTBdirect and after a heated live chat I told them I would never order another item from them again EVER.
You have to wonder where places like MTB direct fit in, given that many of their items are priced similarly to bike shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

You have to wonder where places like MTB direct fit in, given that many of their items are priced similarly to bike shops.
For most of us here who stockpile spares, they fit in as a local mail order shop who occasionally has good deals but more often, somewhere where we buy when we have to.

Paying more than what we would from other overseas sellers BUT don't begrudge paying more when buying from them as its usually a necessity or an emergency.

The thing they need to do 100% is get the f%#k down the post office with it and get it shipped quickly.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
The thing they need to do 100% is get the f%#k down the post office with it and get it shipped quickly.
Yeah mate, they're going to see your order come in and not worry about the 2000 others they got that day and rush down to the post office for you. Well they might have, but you are NEVER going to buy from them again. ..lol get your head out of your arse.

ozzybmx

Yeah mate, they're going to see your order come in and not worry about the 2000 others they got that day and rush down to the post office for you. Well they might have, but you are NEVER going to buy from them again. ..lol get your head out of your arse.
No head in ass for 4 days Express and argued with me.

Hope they continue to get their 2000 a day.

Not that it will worry them but they've seen the last of my chump change.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
It is not hard to staff for your typical volume of orders. And it is reasonable to expect same day dispatch for orders for in stock parts that come in on a business day before midday. I have worked in a smaller business doing just this. Last thing you want is adding an extra day particuarly for an express order (regardless of how slack AusPost is).

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's not a brick and mortar shop, their only task is to post items.
They would be offloading multiple shipments daily (especially with 2000 orders a day ;)) so to miss 4 days worth is bog ordinary

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I can’t recall where I read it but MTBD use a distro warehouse I think. So order goes to warehouse and then is picked, packed and sent. Unsure if they share it with others but if it is then would explain the delay in posting as running around do orders for multiple companies. It may been here i read that, can’t recall.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I can’t recall where I read it but MTBD use a distro warehouse I think. So order goes to warehouse and then is picked, packed and sent. Unsure if they share it with others but if it is then would explain the delay in posting as running around do orders for multiple companies. It may been here i read that, can’t recall.
If it's still the same as it was about 3 years ago, then yep - they do (I went there to drop off a return as it's just up the road from work). And yep, the same mob warehouses for a bunch of different online companies.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
If it's still the same as it was about 3 years ago, then yep - they do (I went there to drop off a return as it's just up the road from work). And yep, the same mob warehouses for a bunch of different online companies.
It was probably your post I read and stored for some reason.:) Pushys/Bikebug seem to dispatch pretty quick.

ozzybmx

It's not a brick and mortar shop, their only task is to post items.
They would be offloading multiple shipments daily (especially with 2000 orders a day ;)) so to miss 4 days worth is bog ordinary
That's it ! Post the stuff people have ordered.

Relying on a 3rd party to do it... then trying to justify it to a customer who has just paid $15 for express is piss poor.

CRC's whole model was about getting that package out. Guaranteed next day anywhere in the UK and not too many more days right into our hands in Australia.
100,000 items packed in their own family owned warehouses every week.

Take control of you own destiny and stand out from the crowd to succeed.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I just did a hibike.com order and I get an email today asking for an extra 10euro shipping fee due to weight

The shipping costs are higher due to weight /dimension of the parcel. We kindly request a PayPal payment so your order can be completed.
has anyone else had this issue?

There was no indication at checkout that there would be a shipping surcharge, as there is for wiggle/CRC etc

ozzybmx

I just did a hibike.com order and I get an email today asking for an extra 10euro shipping fee due to weight
Pretty rude of HiBike :oops:

Call their bluff and say its cheaper at Bike24 ?

There is only Bike24 and HiBike still on the €20 shipping, all the rest have went to €40.

ForkinGreat

Pretty rude of HiBike :oops:

Call their bluff and say its cheaper at Bike24 ?

There is only Bike24 and HiBike still on the €20 shipping, all the rest have went to €40.
Nah, just looked, more exxy at bike24, and I had some oakleys in the order - geocockblocked at bike24 :(

unfortunately the hibike cunce seem to have me over a barrel on this one.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

I can't find anything in Hibike's terms and conditions or shipping charge info sections that would indicate why I would need to pay extra.
Bulky goods such as wheels etc explicitly have the words "bulky goods" on the product page, so there's no issue with surprise charges for that sort of gear.
None of the things I ordered are "bulky", and I don't see how a bulky/heavy package is calculated.
There appears to be no indication of a threshold for extra fees or charges. :rolleyes:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I can't find anything in Hibike's terms and conditions or shipping charge info sections that would indicate why I would need to pay extra.
Bulky goods such as wheels etc explicitly have the words "bulky goods" on the product page, so there's no issue with surprise charges for that sort of gear.
None of the things I ordered are "bulky", and I don't see how a bulky/heavy package is calculated.
There appears to be no indication of a threshold for extra fees or charges. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I’d be putting it to them it’s up to them to design the website to accurately predict shipping costs, rather than trying to stick you with unexpected fees post-sale. You agreed to pay the listed amount and any miscalculation on their side is an issue for them not you. You could go down the “Just cancel my order” route - but bear in mind they’re German, and will probably take it literally and might actually just cancel your order… :p

ForkinGreat

Yeah, I’d be putting it to them it’s up to them to design the website to accurately predict shipping costs, rather than trying to stick you with unexpected fees post-sale. You agreed to pay the listed amount and any miscalculation on their side is an issue for them not you. You could go down the “Just cancel my order” route - but bear in mind they’re German, and will probably take it literally and might actually just cancel your order… :p
I doubt that Hibike gives two shits about foreign customers. It's far less hassle to send goods domestically, or even in the Euro-zone, than internationally.
It's just the "fuck you, we fart in your face, foreign scum" attitude and behaviour of Hibike. Still cheaper to pay the extra, than to buy from UK online or locally. :confused:

I think I've found the "LOL fuck you" part in the terms and conditions. https://www.hibike.com/general-terms-and-conditions-and-revocations-n702

PRICE ADJUSTMENT
If our costs rise unforeseeable between the time of contract conclusion and the delivery date due to alterations in freight rates, exchange rates, public deliveries and conditions, we are authorized to raise the price for commercial customers according to these additional costs.

SHIPMENT
We choose the most favorable dispatch way for you. Installments are, so far not avoidably, permissible. The delivery time occurs fundamentally as fast as possible, except for fixing dates confirmed in writing. We reserve for us an increase of dispatch charges investment if a supply occurs for technical reasons in several parts. In the case of a sending back, the sender bears the costs and the dispatch risk. Unstamped shipments can not be accepted and will be sent automatically back to you. In the case of an authorized sending back the used postage is compensated to you.

I paid the extra 10 euro. I'd better fucking well get all the parts I ordered and paid for. JFC, what a crock of shit.
Their T&C are the most vague and all-encompassing agreement. I wonder if other online sellers have T&C like that.

I would call it a weasel clause in the T&C. It is deceptive and gives Hibike carte blanche to charge whatever they think the customer will put up with, IMO.

At least wiggle/CRC tell the customer upfront if they will get internally and savagely violated on shipping charges.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

HiBike were my goto shop before the Rona kicked off.
Since then they temporarily added a International shipping surcharge, have shit stock of everything and have geoblocked a lot of brands.

Nothing special about them nowadays and a few other German shops have jumped in with less geoblocked gear and better stock.

ForkinGreat

HiBike were my goto shop before the Rona kicked off.
Since then they temporarily added a International shipping surcharge, have shit stock of everything and have geoblocked a lot of brands.

Nothing special about them nowadays and a few other German shops have jumped in with less geoblocked gear and better stock.
which ones Ozzy?