Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

treble

Likes Dirt
Can you get the same frame cheaper elsewhere? Are you still going to get it cheaper than getting bent over via "Australia distro tax"?
Unfortunately it’s the only example of the right frame/size/colour I’ve found anywhere. no local stock. I'll have a think for a bit and see what else is available while they gather the other small bits I ordered from their distro.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
apparently my package is awaiting getting finger-banged by Aus customs now... :p

It's on its way
Most recent update
International arrival - awaiting clearance
MELBOURNE VIC
Date & time Sun 2 Oct, 2.14pm
I think it's the 4-5 week wait for an order from the Germans that kills me. It's all pre-need replacements, so not like I needed them a month ago, thank Jeebus.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Hrmm, I ordered a frame from Hibike last night and woke up to a an email requesting an extra 77 euros shipping this morning. At checkout I was only charged the usual 20-odd euro shipping fee. I was considering wearing it because the frame is still worth it. But maybe I should cancel after reading your experience @ForkinGreat
I just got slugged an extra 7 Euro from Hibike. While it's not much extra, my delivery only has spokes, brake rotors and one foldable tyre. Nothing that I would call bulky and the standard postage should cover it... I will definitely look elsewhere before purchasing from Hibike next time.

I'm only 2 weeks into my wait so looks like I have a few more ahead of me too :(

treble

Likes Dirt
I just got slugged an extra 7 Euro from Hibike. While it's not much extra, my delivery only has spokes, brake rotors and one foldable tyre. Nothing that I would call bulky and the standard postage should cover it... I will definitely look elsewhere before purchasing from Hibike next time.

I'm only 2 weeks into my wait so looks like I have a few more ahead of me too :(
7 id be fine with. 77 is a fair increase for what sounds to be a fairly ordinary delivery service though

ForkinGreat

7 id be fine with. 77 is a fair increase for what sounds to be a fairly ordinary delivery service though
True, they seem to be copying the Americans, without the fast delivery time-frame that usually comes with steep shipping charges from the USA.

That being said, Dirt Merchant are charging $500 USD :oops: (FAAAAAAAAAAAARK!! ) to ship a Banshee Prime frame to Aus.

yuley95

True, they seem to be copying the Americans, without the fast delivery time-frame that usually comes with steep shipping charges from the USA.

That being said, Dirt Merchant are charging $500 USD :oops: (FAAAAAAAAAAAARK!! ) to ship a Banshee Prime frame to Aus.
wow! I bought a whole bike from Chain Reaction (delivered in the biggest box you've ever seen) and it was just $200 for delivery...

Litenbror

Eats Squid
wow! I bought a whole bike from Chain Reaction (delivered in the biggest box you've ever seen) and it was just $200 for delivery...
I'm looking at £230 for a frame from the UK with DHL 2-3 day delivery. Being as big as CRC has it's advantages with shipping costs.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Let's see what air freight from Taiwan is like... Ordered a XTR FD via ebay last night, email says it will be dispatched on Monday....
An update of sorts.... FD ordered 16/9, posted 19/9. Taiwan Chunghwa Post tracking is abysmal, but suggests being in Aus (but where?) 29/9. Seemingly not coming via Aus Post, because tracking number not recognised. Ebay's delivery estimate is anywhere between now & 28/10.....

Subsequent to the FD I tracked down small & big XTR chainrings (have some XT middles to pick from that will work for now).

Small ring, also from Taiwan, ordered 21/9, sent 23/9. Quantum Logistics + Aus Post tracking both show it being in Singapore since 27/9. Ebay delivery estimate sometime by 18/11.

Big ring ordered from Japan 30/9, shipped today, 3/10. DHL (Express apparently) est. delivery this Friday, 7/10.

ForkinGreat

Hibike order got here today, thank Jeebus.
Just some time pedals and bits and bobs. Most stoked about Oakley sunnies. jawbreakers fit my face really well. prizm black lens but also got the clear for night riding.
Discount off Australia prices made it worthwhile, but the 4-5 week wait sucks. Pro tip - get stuff you need, but not need immediately.

yuley95

I’ve got multiple items from German stores sitting at Frankfurt airport… it’s been 2 weeks so i likely have a couple more weeks waiting.

Chain reaction has been faster but one order from them recently is lost in no man’s land with the Courier company only showing’ we have it’ and that was 3 weeks ago…

ForkinGreat

I’ve got multiple items from German stores sitting at Frankfurt airport… it’s been 2 weeks so i likely have a couple more weeks waiting.

Chain reaction has been faster but one order from them recently is lost in no man’s land with the Courier company only showing’ we have it’ and that was 3 weeks ago…
get onto that courier company, rattle their cage to get some action.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Small XTR chainring which had sat in Singapore since 27/9 is now showing up as being in Aus as of today, so could be another 10 days of the AP national tour before I get it.....

yuley95

Bike Components delivery turned up after about 4 weeks. Rose bikes order the same.

I've had a couple of chain reaction deliveries lately that were good and were here is about 2 week but am now having a nightmare with two deliveries that were stuck in a weird limbo in a Melbourne warehouse for about a week and after I emailed Chain reaction to get the to investigate, both deliveries now show as 'delivered' even though they weren't! Arrrrgghgghhh.

Further to all that, I have an order from HiBike that was never sent as they were apparently waiting for me to approve the extra 7 euro they were charging me for delivery. I thought they just charged it and sent the parcel and after waiting 4 weeks I emailed to chase it up and they asked if I was going to approve the extra cost. So I did and it's now on the way 4 weeks later (with half the spokes I need to build a wheel :(.

Another Few Ex delivery (big delivery) was making great time and reached Sydney on Sunday night. I got an email straight away about paying customs/duty etc which I was expecting so paid straight away and by Monday morning it was in Melbourne. Unfortunately tracking now says it is pending as there is 'insufficient description to classify commodity'. I've rung customer service twice to try and rectify it but they just tell me they'll get someone from another department to call me back then nothing happens...

I'm feeling a lot of love for Bike Components and Rose Bikes at the moment given their items actually turned up! Very worried about the Chain Reactions ones though...

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I placed a Hibike order a couple of nights ago. A seat, padded shorts, 2 pairs of grips and some knee guards. Nothing excessively bulky.

Paid their 22 pound shipping fee with the order and then got the email, which isn't very clear, that they were hitting me with an extra 16 pound shipping fee...

Interesting that they take your money when you order, then basically hold it to ransome while they send an email which looks like an invoice, with a little section of it that asks for extra money. Very shifty. Not sure Hibike will be getting many of my orders into the future...

yuley95

I placed a Hibike order a couple of nights ago. A seat, padded shorts, 2 pairs of grips and some knee guards. Nothing excessively bulky.

Paid their 22 pound shipping fee with the order and then got the email, which isn't very clear, that they were hitting me with an extra 16 pound shipping fee...

Interesting that they take your money when you order, then basically hold it to ransome while they send an email which looks like an invoice, with a little section of it that asks for extra money. Very shifty. Not sure Hibike will be getting many of my orders into the future...
It’s very unclear and pretty dodgy. They’re off my list. They were my go-to German store for a while but I’ve got no confidence in them now.
It’s bad communication as in reality, their delivery costs are often still lower than bike components, for example, but the way the go about it is not transparent and unnecessarily complicated.