Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Anyone going to put a bike components order in soon. Could I add a couple of derailleur hangers in there? I’m struggling to need anything else to make an order worthwhile (this is new territory for me).

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Anyone going to put a bike components order in soon. Could I add a couple of derailleur hangers in there? I’m struggling to need anything else to make an order worthwhile (this is new territory for me).
Damn - just did one tonight... sorry mate

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I think having so many forks and shocks sitting gathering dust has created a weird feeling that is the cause of this inability to fill my cart….. it could be guilt but it might be indigestion so I’ll give it a day or two.
have a look at the tyres..... they are often significantly cheaper from German online stores than buying local or wiggle/crc/merlin.

The trade-off is the 4-5 weeks of your package doing Fuck All in a Frankfurt airport freight warehouse.

ForkinGreat

My latest order reached the IPZ (International Parcel/purgatory Zone?) in Frankfurt a day after being dispatched by Hibike.
The package has sat there from the 7/9/22 to current.

This bit on DHL's FAQ page is interesting...

If the shipment status has not changed for more than 5 working days, you can request an investigation. If you are the recipient of the shipment, we recommend that you first consult with the sender of the shipment. This generally results in a quick fix for you.
All of us ordering from Germany should probably do this :) every 5 working days, on the fkg dot.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Anyone have items with UPS at the moment? Mine has been sitting for 10 days As label created. Emailed the sender but no response as yet. To contact UPS I have to create an account. Grumble.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Anyone have items with UPS at the moment? Mine has been sitting for 10 days As label created. Emailed the sender but no response as yet. To contact UPS I have to create an account. Grumble.
UPS are generally quite reliable. This sounds like the seller has created the label and is possibly waiting for the part to come in (hopefully not)

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
UPS are generally quite reliable. This sounds like the seller has created the label and is possibly waiting for the part to come in (hopefully not)
Cheers. Thinking the same. Hopefully they respond soon.

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
Ordered from ali express a couple of days ago... will be interesting as the last time i ordered something from ali it took like 4 months. One of the things I ordered was a chainring.. already got sick of waiting and ordered another one within aus.
So the ali express stuff I ordered has partially arrived... chainring two days ago and a few more things today. That's pretty bloody fast!

treble

Likes Dirt
my Hibike order is having it's 1 month anniversary in a Frankfurt warehouse of fuckery.

DHL is all "Covid, Brah! LOL" , or would be if I could actually contact the fuckers directly.
Hrmm, I ordered a frame from Hibike last night and woke up to a an email requesting an extra 77 euros shipping this morning. At checkout I was only charged the usual 20-odd euro shipping fee. I was considering wearing it because the frame is still worth it. But maybe I should cancel after reading your experience @ForkinGreat

ForkinGreat

Hrmm, I ordered a frame from Hibike last night and woke up to a an email requesting an extra 77 euros shipping this morning. At checkout I was only charged the usual 20-odd euro shipping fee. I was considering wearing it because the frame is still worth it. But maybe I should cancel after reading your experience @ForkinGreat
The shipping surcharge request after purchase seems to be a current Hibike thing. A lot of sellers seem to be charging extra for wheels and frames nowadays, but Hibike seems to be the only one I know of that has the surprise bullshit shipping surcharge request. It's in their T & C that I (and no-one else) never look at.
I think @ozzybmx (??) was saying that 40 euro seems to becoming a fairly standard shipping charge from the Germans.
Can you get the same frame cheaper elsewhere? Are you still going to get it cheaper than getting bent over via "Australia distro tax"?