Byron Bay MTB Park

dunndog

Eats Squid
Hey guys, so just spent a week up at Byron Bay, what a fucking magnificent piece of real estate that spot is! The weather was shit for local standards, I was laughing at the locals wearing beanies and woolen jumpers on a 20 degree day just cos it was overcast/showery, but I guess it's all relative.. had a few surfs, the water temp is warmer than Melbourne in the sun!! Awesome.
Anyway, went into a couple bike stores asking about local DH trails, scene, etc. and told it doesn't exist. No scene, nearest track 60 k's away, no one's really into it in the area. But then one guy told me that a Byron Bay local (Ivan I'm pretty sure he said) has a big stouche of private land, has council approval for a 'mtb park' and as of 2 days ago has started digging. He couldn't tell me if it was dh, fr or what but said it's very mountainous and is definately not just a bit of a singletrack loop..
Anyone know anything about this? I've asked about dh near byron on here recently and got little response, and older threads seem to reveal there's a couple spots but not really around there, but no one has mentioned this? Ofcourse if it's sensitive tell me and I'll delete this, but given there's council approval I dare say he's not keeping it a secret. Hope it's true as we intend to go back regularly and perpetuate the whole 'holiday makers making it too unaffordable for locals' thing!

cressa

Likes Dirt
Commenting to subscribe to thread. Have heard nothing but would love to know more. Byron - Tweed is a massive black hole for MTB.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Commenting to subscribe to thread. Have heard nothing but would love to know more. Byron - Tweed is a massive black hole for MTB.
Yeah it sure seems to be, some serious hills going on around there too. I'm told much of it is privately owned, owners have been approached in the past about building trails but everyone's too green to allow such mass destruction of the native habitat.. The potential is amazing but I guess with water temps not getting below 20, why wouldn't you go surfing..

wavike

Likes Dirt
Surfing in the morning and riding for the arvo. Can never have too many toys or fun. Down bryon way probably to many on dole to afford bikes.

ethan.s

Squid
hey guys, im going to jump on this thread aswell an see what becomes of it..i live down the coast an hour or two from byron, would love to see a riding scene happen in this area.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Incase you guys are interested, the guy in Sunshine Cycles in Byron Bay is who told me about it. Go pick his brain.

murfmtb

Likes Bikes
i live 20 min west of byron i have 4 dh tracks .sorry didnt see your erlier thread.iv herd of this place they got a grant from the gov cant remember how much.im not sure he know what hes doing from what iv herd it is xc.i want to get in contact with him about it ,to get some good tracks would love to see what the properties like.ill try get in contact.

dunndog

Eats Squid
i live 20 min west of byron i have 4 dh tracks .sorry didnt see your erlier thread.iv herd of this place they got a grant from the gov cant remember how much.im not sure he know what hes doing from what iv herd it is xc.i want to get in contact with him about it ,to get some good tracks would love to see what the properties like.ill try get in contact.
WHAAAT! You tell me this now!!! Nah all good, didn't bring my bike anyway.. I'll keep you on record for next time though! Good luck finding out more about this place, hope it works out to be good. And yep, sunrise cycles it was.

murfmtb

Likes Bikes
my mate sent them an email and they said perfect timing just started building with and excavator :biggrin1: and they will need some help fine tuning soon.they had nick bowman from the international mountain bikers association help them desine it so should be good still dont know if its dh or xc but might talk to them when they are up and running about axpanding.

MTB Rod

Likes Bikes
Any further news on this thread would be very welcome??
A lot of North coast riders will be very interested in this as one of our local riding areas is effectively off limits
If anyone in the loop can keep us updated it would be good to hear

tommy gun

Likes Dirt
Byron MTB track

Yep Ivan, www.byronbayfarmstay.com.au
He has told me this so far
The trail will be intermediate grade single-track (with some difficult options) and just over 2 km in length. The trail will comprise wider flow sections in the open paddock and tighter technical trail in the rainforest. If the trail is popular/successful we will extend the trail (eventually I’d like to have about 16 km of trails on the farm).

Cant wait for the 16 kms

Hey guys, so just spent a week up at Byron Bay, what a fucking magnificent piece of real estate that spot is! The weather was shit for local standards, I was laughing at the locals wearing beanies and woolen jumpers on a 20 degree day just cos it was overcast/showery, but I guess it's all relative.. had a few surfs, the water temp is warmer than Melbourne in the sun!! Awesome.
Anyway, went into a couple bike stores asking about local DH trails, scene, etc. and told it doesn't exist. No scene, nearest track 60 k's away, no one's really into it in the area. But then one guy told me that a Byron Bay local (Ivan I'm pretty sure he said) has a big stouche of private land, has council approval for a 'mtb park' and as of 2 days ago has started digging. He couldn't tell me if it was dh, fr or what but said it's very mountainous and is definately not just a bit of a singletrack loop..
Anyone know anything about this? I've asked about dh near byron on here recently and got little response, and older threads seem to reveal there's a couple spots but not really around there, but no one has mentioned this? Ofcourse if it's sensitive tell me and I'll delete this, but given there's council approval I dare say he's not keeping it a secret. Hope it's true as we intend to go back regularly and perpetuate the whole 'holiday makers making it too unaffordable for locals' thing!

Byron MTB track

It's great to see there's some interest in the mtb trail we are building at Byron Bay! As a super-keen biker it's a dream to be building single track on the family farm. We've just finished our 4th day with the excavator with probably three to go before we have about 2km of trail carved. Then it's time to fine tune.... We're planning a volunteer/testing day sometime in late July/August - all welcome!jun2012 012.jpg The trail has been designed with IMBA to have good flow & to suit intermediate to advanced riders. We're going to allow public access but haven't yet worked out the best way to do this. Will keep you posted!

bpow

Likes Dirt
:thumb::biggrin1: Thanks for the info
keep us posted and I like pics!!
i live in Byron and would ride a couple of times a week if there was a trail close to home. Im sure it will be well recieved.
Good luck!

MTB Rod

Likes Bikes
Hey thanks for posting Ivan
I spoke to Angela a couple of days ago and had a good yak
Keep the updates coming
I'm sure you will have a few keen to help bed it all in !

cressa

Likes Dirt
This is all very exciting. Would love to be involved in some testing and fine tuning.

And I too am a fan of pics... ;)

We made some good progress with the excavator last week and now have some trail in the rainforest - sweet! There are some small sections we couldn't access with the excavator so some hand-building coming up! Some more pics attached.forest trail 2.JPGgap jump.JPGnatural berm.JPGtrail in forest.JPG

dunndog

Eats Squid
This is bullshit. I brought this to you guys' attention and i'm not even up there to ride it. Might be a good alterior motive for another romantic/family oriented getaway to Byron..
By the way, it's looking really good so far, getting heaps done! How good is earth moving equipment?!