Cable cutters

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I need a decent pair of cable cutters that won't break the bank that I can get from somewhere like Bunnings? Can someone recommend something? I'm tired of fraying my cables..

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The Park CN-10 aren't cheap but do perform really well. Should be a buy once, never again type proposition though.

Cables will blunt or dint most standard side-cutters pretty quickly.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I use balustrading cable cutters, designed for 5mm cable. will last you a life time cutting gear cables. think I bought them from bunnings

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Dont waste your money on a set of electrical side cutters. They don't cut steel cable square and blunt quickly.
You need some proper shears, like the Park Tool CN-10.

Side cutters only pinch the cable between the sharp edges of the jaws. Steel cables are too tough to cut that way. A shears jaws slide past each other and ensure a clean cut.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
My channel lock sidecutters have been doin a bang up job cutting cables for a few years now. And alot of electrical wiring in between cable changes.
Cheap and gnarly electrical side cutters won’t last, but they don’t last cutting copper wiring either so eh.

Edit: they did my braided brake lines too.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have had a set of these for years and have cut shitloads of cables with them and they work goodly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DMan

I'm actually using cable cutters supposedly for SS cables up to 2mm but they are still shit. They look like these but were about $40 I think https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-stainless-steel-clean-cut-wire-cutters_p4310420. I have a heap to do Saturday... Which coincides with my trip to the big smoke where they have a large Bunnings...
I'll either grab some Irwins or some balustrading cutters then. Thanks guys

Last edited:

DMan

@DMan are you near a TradeTools TotalTools? Force or similar do decent cutters for about $40.
No unfortunately. I live in the asshole of the universe as far as getting something like cutters. Already rang both our automotive parts shops and mitre 10 etc.. Nothing. Useless.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I got one of these from cycling deal, $30 posted and a nice solid build quality. So far so good, cuts cables like a cable cutter cutting a cable

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
you want parrot beak shears, not electrical cable cutters or side cutters
I use and swear by my HIT cutters, but I also have a set of Toledo cutters, good japanese steel