Cable cutters

stirk

Burner
I have had a set of these for years and have cut shitloads of cables with them and they work goodly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
These are what I bought, great stuff and do the job very well, good for tough toe nails also.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have the same cutter as fatboy. They have cut 5mm stainless ballistrade wire, shifter cables, chesed through 6B&S and probably done several thousand cuts. Still work like the day I bought them.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Why buy a tool limited to one use buy quality side cutters. Knipex are the best side cutters they'll last the normal person a life time, made for cutting piano wire.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Because I need them now I might have to get a decent pair of new side cutters locally and then order some cable cutters. I should be able to cut 4 cables before they blunt surely....

Flow-Rider

Burner
Because I need them now I might have to get a decent pair of new side cutters locally and then order some cable cutters. I should be able to cut 4 cables before they blunt surely....
If you have an old set of side cutters that aren't too blunt, you can hit the jaw part with a sharp blow of a hammer and it gives you a clean cut, That's all we ever done as kids.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
If you have an old set of side cutters that aren't too blunt, you can hit the jaw part with a sharp blow of a hammer and it gives you a clean cut, That's all we ever done as kids.
Maybe I can try that. Work out the length and pull it back out to cut it, then refit it.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Got a bench grinder? Dumb enough to put an angle grinder in a vice? (don't do that)
  1. Find a pick or use grinder to sharpen the end of a spoke into a point.
  2. Cut the gear cable with whatever you have at hand that'll get through it (tin snips, the cutty bit on vice grips, kitchen knife, hammer??)
  3. Use the grinder to grind the cable end you just cut down to square (a bit at a time, let it cool down in between so you don't melt the plastic outer/inner).
  4. Use the point on the pick to open up the inner plastic sheath again.
  5. Done
That has always worked for me :) I've got a bench grinder I picked up from the Coburg market for $10.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Why buy a tool limited to one use buy quality side cutters. Knipex are the best side cutters they'll last the normal person a life time, made for cutting piano wire.
To add to my post above - Knipex side cutters are what I use for the initial cut. They make dedicated cable cutters for like $100, but I got a pair of their side cutters for a birthday (I think they are about $50?) and have used them heaps over about 5 years and they are still perfect. Much more versatile.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Noob. Buying a new tool is a reason in itself! N+1 applies to tools as well as toys.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Got a bench grinder? Dumb enough to put an angle grinder in a vice? (don't do that)
As if I’m gonna listen to you ya goat fiddling water filled fork guy.

Just crank that vice up to just before it cracks the plastic. She’ll be right

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Yeah, but that helmet isn't going to be too comfy come head meets tree moment...and I thought the new Giro lid looked like a brain baker...

Cool tech though, just maybe not for helmets.