CAD

Adi

It's my birthday!
What do I say? Looks killa!

Call me stupid... but I can't see anything wrong with the seatstays :lol:

Sweet frame.. you should give it a name ;)

stinkybastard

Likes Bikes
According to Tys post your an Industrial designer, are you still studying ID or have you finished (QUT ID or elsewhere). Im a Industrial designer currently working in Bris. Thats why Im intereseted about which CAD package your using.

adam

Likes Dirt
yeah, i wanna know what one youve got too. I can get AutoCAD 2000 but i really want to get solid works. Ive got a few frames i want to plot up.

Adam

stinkybastard

Likes Bikes
I use solid works nearly everyday at work. It would be a great package for frame design (its good at doing solids and extrusions with varying profiles ie.: easton rad style tubing, the surfacing side is limited but getting better). Solid works also allows for live linkages, you could deisgn a full suspension from and then easily see how it will react, change some dimensions and see the difference. New version alos allow you to restrict movements due to applied force , (ie spring rates etc). There are heaps of decent CAD packages out there, many can be obtained as trial or educational type copy for free, each package does differnet thing better ( or worse). I use solid works as it allows parametric control ( change one part in an assembly and other parts related to it will all update automatically). This package also allows 3D parts to be exported dirrectly to formats that alow production using CNC etc, good for bike parts.

Brett

Likes Dirt
I'm in 3rd year industrial design at QUT. it's AutoCad 2000 and took 5 hours to model. I've used solidworks 2000 and it goes pretty sweet but i don't have access to it any more. I've got a copy of rhino so i might come up with some better looking stuff in the holidays. ah yeah mountain cycles does all their design work with solidworks.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Geez....how tha hell did i miss this thread ?!

Looks good Brett, wanna send me the .DWG file so i can have a play with it ? ;)

And, i agree with stinkybastard, solid works is that shit for modelling stuff like frames. Check the Evil DH proto and the PDC proto.....all done in solidworks.(i also have it here at work)

super 8

Squid
Not bad for Acad 2000, I too am an Industrial Designer working in Brisbane. I also studied at QUT graduated in 2000. Now work in rail
vehicle design using CAD packages such as Catia and Alias Studio Tools
(surface modelling). Anyway nice job was it for a project?

Have you guys check out the MTB park yet? If you go out there
and I'm there say hello, I have a black Super 8 with 2002 Shivers
can't miss it.

Anyway good work catch you later

Brett

super 8

Squid
Forgot to add by the way Catia and Alais are the shit. Solid works is a second rate package I have all of these packages at home and have tried them all.

Have a nice day :twisted:

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
super 8 said:
Forgot to add by the way Catia and Alais are the shit. Solid works is a second rate package I have all of these packages at home and have tried them all.

Have a nice day :twisted:
Well i assume you didn't pay for them all ?!?! I agree Catia is nice, so is Pro Engineer(never even laid eyes on Alias) but when YOU are the one paying for them everything changes. Dollar for dollar IMO Solid Works wins hands down.

I currently have Acad 2000(i'm shit on that), Solidworks 2003(not much better at this) and Mastercam V9 w/solids. On this i can do anything.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
super 8 said:
Now work in rail
vehicle design
Sounds interesting. Got any pics/images of any of your work ? You can see some very basic stuff of mine(only 2D) on the bike in my sig.

super 8

Squid
Alias Studio Tools is a surface modelling/rendering/animation package
Apparently the best around

Only been on this forum a few times how do you attach an image
to your reply?

Thanks

Bretto

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
super 8 said:
Alias Studio Tools is a surface modelling/rendering/animation package
Apparently the best around

Only been on this forum a few times how do you attach an image
to your reply?

Thanks

Bretto
Ah, you have to host it offsite or upload it to the gallery. Especially for non bike stuff i use www.mygonzo.com to host my stuff. It's free too. For bike related stuff just upload it to the Gallery here. I've personally never uploaded anything to the gallery though so you might have to read the instructions found here http://www.farkin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=190

Don't go to any hassle though.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm currently studying Industrial Design at University of Western Sydney. We use Solid Edge (heard of it??) at uni. That looks awesome what you have done there... makes me want to scrap my uni assignments and start drawing frames.
What is good about solid edge too (could be the same with Cad) is that you can construct all pivot points and set motion to the drawing... good for drawing DH rigs. :shock:

Brett

Likes Dirt
I joined all the objects before i exported it into 3DS to make it easier to put materials on, and when you explode it it's pretty much impossible to do anything so the DWG will be pretty much usless. that and you'll see how dodgy it really is.

next semester we have an open brief to design anything we want, naturally i'm going to try and do something bike related any ideas ?

lindsay

Likes Dirt
Solid Edge is very similar to Solid Works. I've used solid edge a bit but i suck at it. You can make some of the coolest looking stuff with it.