Cairns bike hire.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I have no doubt that Hambo's bike would be one of those ones that you get on and it just immediately feels wrong. Like "the person who set this up has never seen a bike before" wrong.
Nope, it rode pretty good, even with the low end fork that was on at the time.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a spare day in Cairns a few years back and hired a bike from the shop near the trail head.
Was a Norco Fluid dually. Only other option was an E-bike and like you, @Jpez, ewww.

Took a big OTB on a rock garden and rolled the bike (which was very heavy) so that I would take the hit rather than forking out for repairs.
Fairly certain I KO'd myself for that damn Norco.

Needless to say, I reckon skip Smithfield and go to Atherton for a day

*Also be mindful of fork, shock and tyre pressure. They set them up 'for the trails' which was code for really fucking hard to save on replacing rims.
The Smithfield trails and rock hard tyres were not a good mix

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a spare day in Cairns a few years back and hired a bike from the shop near the trail head.
Was a Norco Fluid dually. Only other option was an E-bike and like you, @Jpez, ewww.

Took a big OTB on a rock garden and rolled the bike (which was very heavy) so that I would take the hit rather than forking out for repairs.
Fairly certain I KO'd myself for that damn Norco.

Needless to say, I reckon skip Smithfield and go to Atherton for a day

*Also be mindful of fork, shock and tyre pressure. They set them up 'for the trails' which was code for really fucking hard to save on replacing rims.
The Smithfield trails and rock hard tyres were not a good mix
I had an identical experience. He was a nice guy (shop is no longer there) but the bikes were setup to last, not to ride well. We go up there a fair bit and have decided just to take our bikes, it's cheaper and they aren't shit.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Isn’t your preferred bike an 80s Mongoose? ;)
The 'goose is 90's, the Graecross Jackaroo is 80's. They both ride pretty good, but the Jackaroo would really struggle at Smithfield :D

Can't get the adjustments wrong on a rigid fork. ;)
Check the tyres, go!

Or an elastomer :D
Blasphemy! I have not owned an elastomer since I fitted the Bombers. Most elastomers had preload.

Jpez

Down on the left!
@Jpez, you end up riding up here? Weather's been a bit shit for riding of late...
No mate. We were in Port Douglas the whole time and had a few good weather windows. I considered riding the Bump track as the LBS does a shuttle but truth be told I was just enjoying sitting beside the pool so never got around to it.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
No mate. We were in Port Douglas the whole time and had a few good weather windows. I considered riding the Bump track as the LBS does a shuttle but truth be told I was just enjoying sitting beside the pool so never got around to it.
The permanent dent in my arm probably wishes I did that too ;)