Cairns World Cup!!

indica

Serial flasher
http://www.cairns.com.au/

THE Cairns mountain bike fraternity is hopeful Cycling Australia will recognise its efforts to bring the world's best downhill riders back to the Far North whenit submits a bid to the sport's world body later this month.
The bid is due to reach the UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale) by January 29, and is expected to nominate Cairns as the host city for three world-class downhill tournaments in the next four years.
Events Queensland has already confirmed its backing, in partnership with Cairns Regional Council, Tourism Tropical North Queensland and local stakeholders, to host the 2014 and 2016 World Cups and 2017 World Mountain Bike and Trials Championship.
It is now up to Cycling Australia to relay that message to the top.
"We're supporting Cycling Australia in its bid and hoping for the best," Cairns Mountain Bike Club president Frank Fallapi said.
While stressing he had no part in formulating the bid with Cycling Australia and was unaware of the details to be submitted to the UCI, Fallapi remained confident of a good outcome for the region.
"We've done a lot of work in the lead-up to this to get all the logistics in order and we know what needs doing with the tracks," he said.
The Smithfield trails hosted the 1996 World Championships, when Cairns was regarded as the world's downhill mountain biking hot spot.
"We had the opportunity to do this 20 years ago and ended up with nothing," the president said.
Interest is well and truly back, though, and any events that do come Cairns' way would only help to exploit the explosion of interest in the sport.
New tracks in Atherton have proven popular and a new "Gravity Enduro"class will be introduced when the FNQ Minjin Cupsix-round series begins on April 4.
"I was so excited to see so many bikes when I was up in Atherton last and the tracks are classic world trail funky and flowing," Fallapi said.
"The Enduro series will cater for the riders looking for that all-mountain experience.
"A lot of people are buying bikes that can handle trails and down- hill and this event will bring it all together."

Last edited:

morticus

Likes Dirt
Well i will have a crack at it - I don't think the old track would be up to current World cup standards, so would need a complete redesign, The current track could be used but i think would need some tweaking... and the unbelievable? Im sure that would have something to do with skyrail... if only!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
C'mon Cycling Australia. Do something useful for the sport of mountain biking and get us on the world scene again.

indica

Serial flasher
Alright. The word is a complete rebuild of the 96 track and a sealing of the shuttle road.

the main guy in cairns doing all the leg work is frank our club president.
but the whole club is working hard to make it happen,
so fingers crossed it happens, it would be amazing to get the world cups back in cairns

exciting things to come for cairns and mtb'ing in aus in general.

Mammy

Likes Dirt
I remember the fanfare of the 96 campaign.
Jacob's track was a game changer.
Would be rad if it was the original track.
Would be awesome to bring back Napalm for the event.
Good luck all involved!

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Cannot wait. Parents live in Daintree, so will have to make my annual visit coincide with the WC. Fo sho.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
I can't wait to meet your parents! ;) Is four nights okay?
I'm sure there'll be plenty of RB'ers who will offer a room... I'm less than a couple of minutes ride from the trailhead! Fingers and toes crossed we get it, but I'm dreading the thought of the work that will go into it.

OliRas

Likes Bikes
I Wish

It would be great for cairns to host the world cup, although I sure a fair bit of trail maintenance will need to be done. It would not only be good for the MTB community but the rest of the local business because of the tourism.