Calling all Meta AM29 and TR29 owners and other bike owners!

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
Hi everyone,
I've been having an issue with my Meta AM29.2
The chain guide ISCG tabs appear to be welded in the wrong spot... reason being the photo shows the ISCG adjustment is as most clockwise/forward as it can go. I can only rotate it back towards the rear wheel.

I compared it to a few other bikes and their chain guide fixing bolt is on top of the chain ring and in front of the crank spindle.

This is the second One Up chain guide i have gone through, i currently have a 32t chainring and the guide needs to be set on the 34t setting which leaves 6.50mm from top of the chain to the top of the guide this allows the chain to come off on rough terrain due to how high it is. Once i sit on the bike with 27.5% sag the chain will rub on the guide while climbing.

I contacted Commencal Australia over 12 months ago and they sent me a link/photo to the old ISCG E.13 article showing position of the 05 and 03 guide tabs and the angles... Not sure how i would work that out! But from their email they think it's fine... i beg to differ.

What are Rotorburners thoughts? Have i set this up wrong? Compare with your current bike/s

Thanks in advance!

Apologies for the large photos and screenshots, files were too large.

Attachments

Last edited:

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
My Meta is a 27.5 and a few years older but here’s a pic for reference. I’ve never had issues with it
Thanks!
As you can see compared to my drop pin in my original image, the chainguide center bolt for you is forward of your crank arm.
Also, your One Up guide allows you to rotate forwards/clockwise where mine is maxed and no-whete near your postion.

I'm wanting to find images to show Commencal Australia, because i can't get a guide to work.

Thanks

Attachments

K.C.

Likes Dirt
dropping chain? warranty the sram derailluer for weak (or not fit for purpose) clutch or swap to shimano and crank the clutch tight, gear change will be a little more clunky with tighter clucth but no chain drop is a win for me every time

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had one of those guides on another model bike model and could not get it set up with out rubbing on the chain. I replaced it with a LG and now happy days.
I never dropped a chain with it so it did that part well.

On your bike it does look funny. It still looks like it would be a challenge to drop a chain with the guide being in that position. so agree with KC above it could be more then one thing. I know of some one that had a sight that would drop chains with a guide in high gears.

I think you would really need the crank and chain ring off to compare with another bike. It would be really strange for the tabs to be in the wrong spot on a mass produced bike.

Can you get your hands on another guide to rule out it is not the guide?

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
I had one of those guides on another model bike model and could not get it set up with out rubbing on the chain. I replaced it with a LG and now happy days.
I never dropped a chain with it so it did that part well.

On your bike it does look funny. It still looks like it would be a challenge to drop a chain with the guide being in that position. so agree with KC above it could be more then one thing. I know of some one that had a sight that would drop chains with a guide in high gears.

I think you would really need the crank and chain ring off to compare with another bike. It would be really strange for the tabs to be in the wrong spot on a mass produced bike.

Can you get your hands on another guide to rule out it is not the guide?
Here's some more photos of the same guide... different bike. Hardtail has a different brand guide which was also tried. Along with MRP and E.13 guides.

With these photos, you'll notice the top guide is central on top of the chainring. Chainguide bolt is in front of the crank spindle. Not slightly left/rearward like the when on the Commencal.

As the Commencal guide is as high up on the chainring/most forward. It is not covering the chainring when the chain is on it.
These photos show the chainguide is covering the chain as soon as it's on the chainring. Not before it locates on the chainring.

Hope that makes some sense haha

Derailleur was new when i got the bike. Still tight and not been an issue. Problem is the guide is covering the chain before it hits the chainring.
I rotate three chains for even wear. Chainring has been replaced too. Issue is still current.

Next step is to remove the cranks and check that it is 50 degrees from center of bottom bracket to center of rear axle measured at the lower rear ISCG 05 tab.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

BRADSTA

Likes Bikes
Just came across this post, not sure if you have sorted the problem or not?

I have the new Meta AM29.2 and also had problems with the chain rubbing on a Oneup guide,
I tried a 1mm washer on the tabs to push the guide outboard which helped in the 10t gear but found i needed to slightly file the inside of the guide to clear chain rub in the granny gear while climbing.
Your top guide looks like the first version so not sure whats different over version 2 (mine) but the mounting is the same as yours, maxed out forward can only rotate back.

Attachments

T-Rex

Template denier
Junior ran a One Up on his 21 frame, Ride Alpha on his 22 frame, no issues with either.

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
Just came across this post, not sure if you have sorted the problem or not?

I have the new Meta AM29.2 and also had problems with the chain rubbing on a Oneup guide,
I tried a 1mm washer on the tabs to push the guide outboard which helped in the 10t gear but found i needed to slightly file the inside of the guide to clear chain rub in the granny gear while climbing.
Your top guide looks like the first version so not sure whats different over version 2 (mine) but the mounting is the same as yours, maxed out forward can only rotate back.
Junior ran a One Up on his 21 frame, Ride Alpha on his 22 frame, no issues with either.

I called Commencal AU last week. Turns out the guy i have been sending emails to with no response no longer works there...
Sending an email today and hopefully hear back from them soon, Could have been a bad batch for some reason, i guess these things do happen.
Otherwise there would never be a recall on anything, I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks