Calories burned fit vs fat

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Does a fit regular rider burn the same amount of energy as someone out of shape who has never ridden?

I know the fitter you are the more efficiently you use your stored energy.

I'm just wondering say a regular rider and someone who never rides burn the same amount of energy over a set distance traveling the same speed. Given that the fit guy will have much lower heart rate and therefore a heart rate monitor would calculate that the fit guy is burning less fuel.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Does a fit regular rider burn the same amount of energy as someone out of shape who has never ridden?

I know the fitter you are the more efficiently you use your stored energy.

I'm just wondering say a regular rider and someone who never rides burn the same amount of energy over a set distance traveling the same speed. Given that the fit guy will have much lower heart rate and therefore a heart rate monitor would calculate that the fit guy is burning less fuel.
The less fit guy will burn more juice

driftking

Wheel size expert
It would depend on exercise level. Your body does get better at utilizing it's energy pathways more effective but that said 100%sprint for someone unfit and someone fit is the same just the fit person will perform significantly better.
Generally the more weight you carry and your muscle composition will make a huge difference. More weight means more energy to move that weight. More muscle mass also required more calories so there are lots of variables. Though if you were to keep everything exact and test a fit vs none fit person both exercising at thier own capacity say both at 60% I would expect the fit person to burn less yes. How much less not sure I have not checked studies on this.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Hard to say.
Brain dump....

Fit rider has a higher metabolism so the burns more energy.
Fit rider has more muscle so the also burns more energy, just to support
Fit rider has better burst so more energy. Accelerates faster to set speed.

Fit rider's muscles tend to be more tailored to a specific activity so less energy
Fit rider has better blood flow, Less energy
Fit rider has less fat so less energy
Fit rider has better skill so less energy

I think generally fit rider is more efficient

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
over a set distance traveling the same speed
Indeed in this case the fitter rider will expend less energy - presuming the speed is sub maximal ( sub maximal effort).

It is an interesting question as many people believe as we get fitter we become more efficient, which we do at a sub maximal intensity. Concurrently, as one gets fitter they develop more and larger mitochondria so they can go at a harder intensity for longer periods of time, simply because they can provide more energy to the working muscles. So as we get fitter it is easier to lose weight because duration and intensity and be ramped up.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Indeed in this case the fitter rider will expend less energy - presuming the speed is sub maximal ( sub maximal effort).

It is an interesting question as many people believe as we get fitter we become more efficient, which we do at a sub maximal intensity. Concurrently, as one gets fitter they develop more and larger mitochondria so they can go at a harder intensity for longer periods of time, simply because they can provide more energy to the working muscles. So as we get fitter it is easier to lose weight because duration and intensity and be ramped up.
I still remember my first decent climb over a year ago. I was ready to pull over and vomit, sweat was pouring out, I was seeing stars, and he is just having a conversation about how its a nice day, that guys got a nice bike, etc. At the same speed, incline, etc the fat guy will definitely burn a lot more energy, though for sure the fit guy has the greater ability to burn energy. If the fit guy was to burn max energy the fat guy will be near the bottom of the hill, sweat pouring out, seeing stars, and vomiting.

Last edited: