Camelbaks

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want a replacement bladder for an old 1.5l that split. I cant find a replacement except for a crux which I dont think will fit and costs just as much as a whole new one.
Are Camelbaks still the way to go or are they all pretty much the same now?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Yeah, I’d lost the lid for my 1.5L bladder. Was looking like it was only another $10 to buy a whole new camelbak from 99 bikes.

Luckily I found the lid in a camping tub last weekend when we went away!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I only have water in my pack also.

I only buy the Hydrapack bladders now since the bladders with a screw on lid also seemed to leak around the lid eventually.

The Hydrapack bladders open right across the top and have a slidey thing to close it. Dries out much easier since you can open it up easily for air after a ride.

I prefer the Camelback bite valves and you can mix and match those with any pack. Easy to find on Ebay too if you need.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
I only have water in my pack also.

I only buy the Hydrapack bladders now since the bladders with a screw on lid also seemed to leak around the lid eventually.

The Hydrapack bladders open right across the top and have a slidey thing to close it. Dries out much easier since you can open it up easily for air after a ride.

I prefer the Camelback bite valves and you can mix and match those with any pack. Easy to find on Ebay too if you need.

I've always found that the screw-on lids are easy to cross the thread on, even on my camelbak bladders. I'm in the habit of reversing the cap till it clicks then screw it clock-wise.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I've always found that the screw-on lids are easy to cross the thread on, even on my camelbak bladders. I'm in the habit of reversing the cap till it clicks then screw it clock-wise.
I've done that one too. Especially when you are in a hurry and not paying attention.

I had a screw on lid / bladder join fail on my last year before doing Andos / Oaks on a cool day.

I had my own personal arse waterfall of cold water that would gush out when riding a few kms to the trail head :)

Just emptied out half and folded it up and kept going. Lucky it was a cool day and you do get used to soaked shorts

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've done that one too. Especially when you are in a hurry and not paying attention.

I had a screw on lid / bladder join fail on my last year before doing Andos / Oaks on a cool day.

I had my own personal arse waterfall of cold water that would gush out when riding a few kms to the trail head :)

Just emptied out half and folded it up and kept going. Lucky it was a cool day and you do get used to soaked shorts

I haven't had a bladder fail yet (touch wood). My first backpack was a 'camelbak mule 3L' and a mate of mine gave me his smaller one that he had stopped using with a new genuine camelbak bladder but said he couldn't get the plastic taste out of it, so I bought an aftermarket bladder for it. I'm really surprised I haven't burst a bladder on some of my big stacks but I've seen a few failures out on rides.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I haven't had a bladder fail yet (touch wood). My first backpack was a 'camelbak mule 3L' and a mate of mine gave me his smaller one that he had stopped using with a new genuine camelbak bladder but said he couldn't get the plastic taste out of it, so I bought an aftermarket bladder for it. I'm really surprised I haven't burst a bladder on some of my big stacks but I've seen a few failures out on rides.
Admittedly it doesn't happen much when it does finally goes it is a tough one to get around. I've had a few die but luckily mostly close to home.

Most have leaked at the bottom where the hose and bladder connect. Never happens at a convinient time either. One oozed water through the front of the bladder - the bladder must have gave out and the material on the front facing slide leeched out the water.

Some of those new bladders sure do have killer plastic smell. I have put one of the official bladder cleaners through it but that didn't fix it fully either.

I leave mine in the wardrobe in a bladder hanger now. Bugs sometimes jump in if you let it air off in the shed - don't do that one :)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I clean bladders with denture cleaner. Leaves a hint of mint.

Best placr to store them is fully fry in a dark cupboard orsitting with cold water ready to go in the fridge.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I have reverted to the crappy anaconda 1.5L ones that you can get for $12.

Handy tip my mate gave me was to chuck it in the freezer right after the ride after a quick rinse.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I've had some of the generic cheapie ones with horrible chemical tastes that never went away. The Camelbak ones do as well for a bit (or if you leave the water in them for a few days) but they're way better.

The organic chemist in me is not so keen to be drinking too many plastic volatiles...

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I take the bladder out and put it in the freezer , not after every ride , but do it often .

Ive also got a ice machine , fill it with ice before rides when leaving home, then top it with bottled water just before riding ,

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I take the bladder out and put it in the freezer , not after every ride , but do it often .

Ive also got a ice machine , fill it with ice before rides when leaving home, then top it with bottled water just before riding ,
The insulated mil spec camelbaks with the insulated tubes are especially good for this.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use one at work in the warmer months, often with Aqualyte. I rinse it out with water at the end of the day and use Milton tablets to kill bugs a couple of times a week. Replace the bladder in September when it starts to warm up.
For my riding Camelbak I only use water, rinsing it out before each use.
The only bladder fail I've had was caused by a dose of Milton solution and leaving the Camelbak hanging up outside after a night shift. Came back in the evening for the next shift and found it puffed up pretty hard. I didn't squeeze the air out and I think with the high temps it got pressurised and developed a pin hole leak on the seam at the bottom.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
My genuine CB bladder got a pin hole leak a couple of years ago.
I stuck a piece of Tarzan cloth tape over it - still going strong two years on.

I'm lazy with it - just chuck water in when I need it. Hardly ever wash or rinse it - but use bi-carb soda if I do.
Only so many fucks I can give in one day.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk