Camper Trailers - Who's got one.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We've been through a couple of soft floors. First a real cheapie (real old one for like $1000 or something). Then got and Adventure Camper and then an All Terrain. We sold up and went back to tenting for a bit as finances were tight building a house GFC etc.

Few years ago we decided to get a camper again and decided to go hard floor. We considered the Ultimate but ended up going with the TVan.
About a year ago got a nice rig to match (Dual Cab Cruiser).

Haven't really looked at carrying bikes on trips yet but this is pretty much for us to travel around a bit with the kids now and when we eventually get to retirement age it will be just for us and hopefully all paid off lol. Kids sleep in their own swags.
We do prefer to keep the fridge in the car though.

There is just so many out there to choose from these days. At least unlike bikes and cars the value of camper trailers doesn't seem to drop quite as much.

campin2.jpg

Last edited:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pebble what's the deal with the Tvan floor, it never looks like it rests on the ground properly in other pics, but on yours it appears supported on all sides? Is that so you can set up on uneven ground?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The Tvan floor is supported by six adjustable legs. The floor is always above the ground. Easy to set up the floor nice and level on pretty much any surface. On the sand I put cheap enamel plates under the legs to spread the load.

Pebble nice awning, I just set up a 3m Supapeg awning on the side of mine. Have two triangular sails to cover the entrance and also act like a safari roof over the body (I use an additional solar panel). Nice set up.

Last edited:
It comes down to budget mostly, but walk away if it has more than about 6-8 poles in pole bag, some of the cheaper campers have about 20 and that means you're in for a big setup time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nn

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes it has 6 adjustable legs that support the base, Hubby is a surveyor so he's probably pretty good at making it level.

I must say when we had the All Terrain soft floor the awning wasn't too much trouble to put up, we actually had it permanently zipped on and would flip it over the main roof of the camper to stow away or when not in use (tie down at opposite corners of course). It was just a matter of pulling it off the roof and setting up the poles and ropes.

With the TVan we brought a mount bracket off some people on the Track Trailer forum, and purchased an ARB awning to fit to it, just makes it easier. The full awning that came with it seems like it takes a fair while and we don't tend to stay in one spot for too long. The sail awning was ok and we thought about getting a second one but this set up seems to be efficient.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Last I heard at Cape Leveque having a ball. If you're ever up there, the 15km along the squeaky white beach to Hunter creek is absolute heaven on a fat bike. If you time it right with the tide turning back in, the inlet becomes a boiling mass of teeth, jaws, fins and flesh as the big predators come in for a feed.

Great fun and with a fat bike along, make each trip a much richer experience.
We just heard from Emma with a bunch of photographs and this little video.

[video=youtube_share;i3oM_AfSMW0]https://youtu.be/i3oM_AfSMW0[/video]

"Hi George,

The bike racks are going great and we are loving having the bikes. We did the Munja Track, which is a very solid 4WD route (140km in 6 hours) filled with plenty of rock jumps. If ever there was a test for a bike rack – this would be it. I will also do some posts and have put a few things on Facebook and my blog if you want to share any of it.
Kind regards,
Emma."

There are some terrific action photographs of the rig tackling tough 4WD obstacles but the one that resonated with us here at the iSi factory was one photograph that showed why we go through all this effort in order to get out to some wonderful places with the family and just have fun.

That said, the whole rig looks quite at home out there.

Escape the crowds of the Gibb River Road and take a rough but very scenic trip along the iconic Munja Track - this one is a real Kimberly adventure.

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
Escape the crowds of the Gibb River Road and take a rough but very scenic trip along the iconic Munja Track - this one is a real Kimberly adventure.
100% agree! The Munja track is amazing... and the scenery and landscape when you get there make the drive even more rewarding!

My Prado with 2" lift and a 4X4 ISI carrier have completed the Munja track and the Gibb River Road 4 times (twice in each direction). The ISI rack soon becomes one of the things you don't consider as a possible failure point and there is not even a rub mark on the frame of my carbon XC bike after well over 3000k's of corrugations, dust and rocky tracks.

Highly recommend both the trip and spending the money on the right set up

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
100% agree! The Munja track is amazing... and the scenery and landscape when you get there make the drive even more rewarding!

My Prado with 2" lift and a 4X4 ISI carrier have completed the Munja track and the Gibb River Road 4 times (twice in each direction). The ISI rack soon becomes one of the things you don't consider as a possible failure point and there is not even a rub mark on the frame of my carbon XC bike after well over 3000k's of corrugations, dust and rocky tracks.

Highly recommend both the trip and spending the money on the right set up
David? Is that you? G'day! I loved reading of some of the places you travel to. We're still scheming to get into Walcott Inlet too.

We do feel a degree of awe for what Emma and her family are doing because Munja track is a killer with a single axle trailer. Each trailer wheel spends much of the trip falling into one hole after another or bouncing over one rock after another. Especially when you need a bit of momentum to get up some of those steep loose and rocky pinches. Completely different operational dynamics to a car with a wheel at each corner. That's tough on equipment that's designed for vehicle use only. You wouldn't believe the amount of kit we ship to the most random of remote places all over the world.

The other thing when you have a trailer, you're never quite sure if you will get through and to avoid trying to reverse out to have another go, when you have bikes handy it's so good to pedal up ahead and have a good look. Beats walking because out there it takes forever to walk far ahead. On the bike you can check out the next km or so quickly before committing the car and trailer.

Handy to get the kids out on their bikes too because there wouldn't be too many smiling faces on that track. Certainly not for the one in the middle seat....

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Because of this thread, we've recently received a steady stream of questions about balancing a load of bikes front and rear on a trailer and also getting the bikes off the top of a camper trailer because it becomes a pain to set up camp.

Proper load balance on a trailer is not just for hard core off-highway applications like the Tvan example earlier in this thread. A balanced trailer is particularly important in achieving good trailer dynamics in the event of a high speed emergency turning manoeuvre. if you've ever experienced a trailer wobble at speed you will know exactly what I mean.

Plenty of applications on popular softer off-highway camper trailer products like the Jayco Swan where the family has lots of bikes to travel with plenty of distance to travel safely. And the convenience of pivoting the front forward and rear down in order to deploy pull out beds. Gold on the popular Jayco Expanda caravan range as well.

It's also good to then be able to move the carrier assembly to the car as well. It's funny how many people are surprised that we suggest solutions to swap between car and trailer. For us it'd be a show stopper if we couldn't travel with bikes on either the car and trailer.

In the example above, swap either of the 2 or 4-bike carriers between the camper and the car quickly and easily. It's great to base camp with the trailer and move the carrier to the car and explore areas that may not be appropriate to drag the trailer through. When you have the flexibility you use it to make the most of each trip and because we make it easy to swap, you don't go looking for excuses to leave the bikes alone.

Hope that helps.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
image.jpg Just got this little 80s Jayco. Meant to be the offroad version but the wheels are tiny. Wanted a folder but have newborn and princess wife so had to compromise. Will see how we go and get another in the future. Need to work out how to get bikes on it.

scblack

Leucocholic
Because of this thread, we've recently received a steady stream of questions about balancing a load of bikes front and rear on a trailer and also getting the bikes off the top of a camper trailer because it becomes a pain to set up camp.

Proper load balance on a trailer is not just for hard core off-highway applications like the Tvan example earlier in this thread. A balanced trailer is particularly important in achieving good trailer dynamics in the event of a high speed emergency turning manoeuvre. if you've ever experienced a trailer wobble at speed you will know exactly what I mean.

Plenty of applications on popular softer off-highway camper trailer products like the Jayco Swan where the family has lots of bikes to travel with plenty of distance to travel safely. And the convenience of pivoting the front forward and rear down in order to deploy pull out beds. Gold on the popular Jayco Expanda caravan range as well.

It's also good to then be able to move the carrier assembly to the car as well. It's funny how many people are surprised that we suggest solutions to swap between car and trailer. For us it'd be a show stopper if we couldn't travel with bikes on either the car and trailer.

In the example above, swap either of the 2 or 4-bike carriers between the camper and the car quickly and easily. It's great to base camp with the trailer and move the carrier to the car and explore areas that may not be appropriate to drag the trailer through. When you have the flexibility you use it to make the most of each trip and because we make it easy to swap, you don't go looking for excuses to leave the bikes alone.

Hope that helps.
I have the same Swan Outback you picture here. There is no ability to fit the rear bike rack built in to the Swan setup.

What is the way you anchor the rack? What is the cost for the fabrication? I assume you have a 50mm hitch to enable switching between camper and car.

Maybe PM me with the answer. Thanks.

Last edited:

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I'm looking for the same one NSM, Not a compromise for what we want... I was thinking about building a folder but the price of the old jaycos is hard to beat.

I haven't worked out carrying 6 bikes yet though, I'll be interested to see what you do.

No Skid Marks

I'm looking for the same one NSM, Not a compromise for what we want... I was thinking about building a folder but the price of the old jaycos is hard to beat.

I haven't worked out carrying 6 bikes yet though, I'll be interested to see what you do.
I'm guessing making a metal rack. Scared to drill into roof but probably will to avoid making a massive rack.
Will look into maybe glueing checker plate onto rood and just strapping one or two bikes flat on top to avoid drilling. Can probably fit wheels into camper folded when colapsed.
i paid $3500 but still have to register it, brakes and wheel bearings done a year ago, yet to check if fridge works or gas system for fridge and cooker leak yet.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Just got this little 80s Jayco. Meant to be the offroad version but the wheels are tiny. Wanted a folder but have newborn and princess wife so had to compromise. Will see how we go and get another in the future. Need to work out how to get bikes on it.
There were no off road versions in 1980's.

That will be modified with lift and bigger wheels. A popular retrofit at one stage before factory versions became available.

Check it has had the chassis reinforced (from the picture your drawbar suggests this hasn't been done), the original ones were like licorice sticks even on road (and not strong enough for rear bike rack to be fitted).

Also all cabinet framing was only stapled together meranti (not even glued) and rough roads shake them apart.

Wind up mech should be inspected regularly. Most of us with these old girls (yes I bought one 10 years ago for she who must be obeyed) have made up safety posts (ie broom handles with clips each end) that are attached to each corner jack to prevent the roof collapsing if a wire snaps (unfortunately not unknown).

I'm guessing making a metal rack. Scared to drill into roof but probably will to avoid making a massive rack.
Will look into maybe glueing checker plate onto rood and just strapping one or two bikes flat on top to avoid drilling. Can probably fit wheels into camper folded when colapsed.
i paid $3500 but still have to register it, brakes and wheel bearings done a year ago, yet to check if fridge works or gas system for fridge and cooker leak yet.
Be careful.

The roof assemblies on these, unless rebuilt are very prone to rot around the edges (made from ordinary ply, not outdoor grade, and again only stapled/nailed) The aluminium sheet is stapled to the frame and for most of this age, many staples will be rusted through and it is only the mastic (which dries out and shrinks) and the surface applied silicone most owners apply to stop leaks (but offers no structural enhancement) holding it on in many cases. They are not very rigid or strong, nor designed to be.

I think my instruction book quotes no more than 30Kg can be carried on roof structure.

The old Jaycos are cheap and can work well used within their design limitations, but are nothing like the quality of the early 1990's ones or later (easily identified by much more substantial chassis dimensions and plastic roof), which in tern are nothing like the contemporary one in the picture above (it is a different league again).

Plenty of info available on camper and Jayco forums.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Just got this little 80s Jayco. Meant to be the offroad version but the wheels are tiny. Wanted a folder but have newborn and princess wife so had to compromise. Will see how we go and get another in the future. Need to work out how to get bikes on it.
Good work, I hope you get years of fun camping with it.:love:

My old MY2000 Jayco Flight was an on-road model. I underslung the axle under the leaf springs to add about 4inches height to the camper. Really helped in light off-road work.

As redbruce says, its a good idea to get a couple of extra support posts for the roof. New models come with them, you just need two to be fitted diagonally opposite from each other in case the roof mechanism lets go. Its very rare, but does happen sometimes unfortunately.

As for the roof, my new one is rated for 100kg weight on top. I would THINK (don't quote me on this), that if you only carry the bikes and weight when the roof is DOWN, that the weight on top would not be too much of an issue. The weight limit is more to do with the extra stress placed on the lift mechanism. So while the roof is locked down I reckon you could virtually carry what you wanted on the top. As long as you never lift the roof with heavy weight you should be fine. So to fit the bikes racks and bikes should be fine, but never lift the roof with them in place.

As for the lift mechanism, do this when you pack up: wind the roof down, pop the locks into place, and THEN wind up the mechanism until you hear the system start to click once or twice. All it needs is a little bit of tension in the lift mechanism, which stops the cables from flopping around in travel which might cause them to come loose.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah wsn't intendint to leave bikes on when raising roof. Guessing I might even fit a bike or two with wheels off inside camper when folded.
Thought of just ripping suspension off and starting again, maybe independant even. and bigger wheel arches if possible, and wider track maybe9at least match my Prado).
Sounds like I should use it a few times to get ideas and sell up though. Start again.
Any tips on checking fridge and gas system. I think fridge is battery, outside plug in power or gas operated, but might be wrong. Not got around to checking it out yet. Busy washing everything and getting electrics sorted for ego. And of cause there's rain.

scblack

Leucocholic
Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah wsn't intendint to leave bikes on when raising roof. Guessing I might even fit a bike or two with wheels off inside camper when folded.
Thought of just ripping suspension off and starting again, maybe independant even. and bigger wheel arches if possible, and wider track maybe9at least match my Prado).
Sounds like I should use it a few times to get ideas and sell up though. Start again.
Any tips on checking fridge and gas system. I think fridge is battery, outside plug in power or gas operated, but might be wrong. Not got around to checking it out yet. Busy washing everything and getting electrics sorted for ego. And of cause there's rain.
I'll bet you could not fit bikes in when folded down. But I don't know the floorplan of that camper. They are pretty tight for room when folded down.

No idea on the fridge or gas system sorry. My campers have always been new so I would not have a clue to check up. BUT with the age of it, it could well be worthwhile getting the gas lines etc checked out professionally. If you have a leak, the worst potential could be a fire or explosion and you don't want your family around when that happens. No idea what that would cost, surely not too much, but could be money very well spent.