Camron park BMX/MTB free ride park

ogjon

Likes Dirt
Anyone been t0 Cameron park BMX/MTB free ride park?

It's not far from Edgeworth in the Newy area

council made park, looks ok but man it rides rough, why do council use frigging gravel? haven't they bothered to watch dirt jumps on you tube to see how they should build things properly?

unitec

Likes Dirt
Maintenance

Anyone been t0 Cameron park BMX/MTB free ride park?

It's not far from Edgeworth in the Newy area

council made park, looks ok but man it rides rough, why do council use frigging gravel? haven't they bothered to watch dirt jumps on you tube to see how they should build things properly?
If you look carefully at many of the you tube videos you also will see that the riders maintain the jumps before they ride.
It's true that councils are not DJ experts & don't always get it right but the most common cause for public DJ's failing is lack of maintenance and lack of ownership by local riders.
My view is that you need to get your local crew together and look after the jumps like you built them yourself in the bush. Pull out the rocks & use plenty of water before you ride & the trails will become smooth in no time.
Cheers

ogjon

Likes Dirt
the problem with cameron park council jumps is that they're made entirely of gravel with very little dirt on top

D

Deleted member FN2187

the problem with cameron park council jumps is that they're made entirely of gravel with very little dirt on top
The reason councils don't make jumps out of top soil is because they would last a week with kids riding over them. Gravel is substantially more stable and the jumps will retain shape when jumped on, walked over or in the rain. Be grateful that your council built them in the first place, it is a massive public liability nightmare. You can do some maintenance on them to make them better to ride. Take out a shovel, a broom, a watering can and a copy of the "how to build trails" section in the trail building forum. Just sweeping and watering down the jumps will make them a whole lot better. If that doesn't fix your problem, grab a whole bunch of mates who like riding, walk deep into the bush, find a mellow gradient and start digging.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
We have our own jump site on private property

I like to take my bike with me when I go into town & like to hit up the skate parks & council/hmba made trail, just wish the councils would build jumps the way the general public would like them built & not how they(council) think they should be built.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The reason councils don't make jumps out of top soil is because they would last a week with kids riding over them. Gravel is substantially more stable and the jumps will retain shape when jumped on, walked over or in the rain. Be grateful that your council built them in the first place, it is a massive public liability nightmare. You can do some maintenance on them to make them better to ride. Take out a shovel, a broom, a watering can and a copy of the "how to build trails" section in the trail building forum. Just sweeping and watering down the jumps will make them a whole lot better. If that doesn't fix your problem, grab a whole bunch of mates who like riding, walk deep into the bush, find a mellow gradient and start digging.
No point being grateful to a council that builds shit jumps out of the wrong dirt.

And it's not a public liability nightmare.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
No point being grateful to a council that builds shit jumps out of the wrong dirt.

Exactly, I for one don't like wiping out on gravel it friggin hurts compared to wiping out on jumps that are built entirely of dirt, plus dirt/clay packs in harder & can be made to be silky smooth.

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
i remember riding the bmx track at argi years ago, seemed to be made out of the sharpest gravel possible

so where is this? anyone got a map or address or anything? :help:

D

Deleted member FN2187

Yes they make them out of the wrong dirt. But first remember high grade aggregate is incredibly expensive. Secondly, if they were made out of good quality top soil they would last a week without regular maintenance. The council would not pay someone to maintain jumps, so therfore they are made from shit dirt which lasts a lot longer between maintenance. They make them really basic because they expect beginners to ride them also, not to mention they are alot safer should you crash.

As far as public liability is concerned, I have been involved with council on build/maintenance of several sets of jumps over the years. To be clear, if you crash and hurt yourself on council built jumps, the council is legally and financially responsible for your medical costs. The insurance they take out for these incidences costs a ton of money. So they don't have to build you shit, but they do. If you don't like them, fix them or build your own.

I'm not disagreeing with you that they are shit. Just know what is involved with planning, organising and getting approval to build these jumps in the first place.

if anything the gravel there is causing more crashes than anything else. castle cove trails and wahroonga pump track arent made of shitty gravel (wahroonga skills area is, but thats beside the point) and they are still up and running. a hardening agent like the one at wahroonga would give a better surface to crash on that doesnt cut you up and its low maintenance, and you can actually build decent jumps with it.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
If your kid made yall a card that said 'hoppy berthdai' you tell it that was a pointless waste of time or help it learn how to spell ?

I wouldn't suggest making serious modifications to council built parks. My sister in law works at a council, she was very, very interested to know who'd dug up the Hornsby jumps recently. She said it was something they take pretty seriously. They do what they can until someone helps them learn to do better.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes they make them out of the wrong dirt. But first remember high grade aggregate is incredibly expensive. Secondly, if they were made out of good quality top soil they would last a week without regular maintenance. The council would not pay someone to maintain jumps, so therfore they are made from shit dirt which lasts a lot longer between maintenance. They make them really basic because they expect beginners to ride them also, not to mention they are alot safer should you crash.

As far as public liability is concerned, I have been involved with council on build/maintenance of several sets of jumps over the years. To be clear, if you crash and hurt yourself on council built jumps, the council is legally and financially responsible for your medical costs. The insurance they take out for these incidences costs a ton of money. So they don't have to build you shit, but they do. If you don't like them, fix them or build your own.

1) Good dirt jump dirt can typically be obtained free of charge. And dirt jumps should be maintained by riders. This works at public other dirt jump facilities.

2) You have some serious misconceptions about public liability. Council is not legally and financially liable for medical costs. They are not even liable at law (in NSW anyway). Start here, focus on Division 5.

D

Deleted member FN2187

1) Good dirt jump dirt can typically be obtained free of charge. And dirt jumps should be maintained by riders. This works at public other dirt jump facilities.

2) You have some serious misconceptions about public liability. Council is not legally and financially liable for medical costs. They are not even liable at law (in NSW anyway). Start here, focus on Division 5.
1) To build jumps you would require at least 3 tipper loads of dirt to make anything worthwhile. Pray tell: Where do you suggest that this amount of dirt and the transport costs involved comes from? It IS NOT FREE.

2) Read your own document:

CIVIL LIABILITY ACT 2002 - SECT 5K

Definitions
5K Definitions

In this Division:
"dangerous recreational activity" means a recreational activity that involves a significant risk of physical harm.
"obvious risk" has the same meaning as it has in Division 4.
"recreational activity" includes:

(a) any sport (whether or not the sport is an organised activity), and
(b) any pursuit or activity engaged in for enjoyment, relaxation or leisure, and
(c) any pursuit or activity engaged in at a place (such as a beach, park or other public open space) where people ordinarily engage in sport or in any pursuit or activity for enjoyment, relaxation or leisure.

This in other words requires that the council or land owner to cover themselves for liability.

construction sites usually have quite a bit of dirt they need to get rid of when digging foundations and basements, some of it is really good for making jumps and often they just want to get rid of it. so instead of them paying to dump the dirt somewhere, we can get free clay and they dont have to pay anyone to get rid of their dirt.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1) To build jumps you would require at least 3 tipper loads of dirt to make anything worthwhile. Pray tell: Where do you suggest that this amount of dirt and the transport costs involved comes from? It IS NOT FREE.

2) Read your own document:

CIVIL LIABILITY ACT 2002 - SECT 5K

Definitions
5K Definitions

In this Division:
"dangerous recreational activity" means a recreational activity that involves a significant risk of physical harm.
"obvious risk" has the same meaning as it has in Division 4.
"recreational activity" includes:

(a) any sport (whether or not the sport is an organised activity), and
(b) any pursuit or activity engaged in for enjoyment, relaxation or leisure, and
(c) any pursuit or activity engaged in at a place (such as a beach, park or other public open space) where people ordinarily engage in sport or in any pursuit or activity for enjoyment, relaxation or leisure.

This in other words requires that the council or land owner to cover themselves for liability.

1) People currently pay to dump the sorts of dirt you are after for jumps. If you can't get it for free, you're not trying hard enough. And I'm telling you this having just walked out of a meeting with a landfill site discussing this very issue.

2) Maybe you should start again read more than just the definitions. Seriously, how the f#ck did you come to that conclusion? Review these sections:

5L. No liability for harm suffered from obvious risks of dangerous recreational activities
5M. No duty of care for recreational activity where risk warning
5N. Waiver of contractual duty of care for recreational activities

D

Deleted member FN2187

1) People currently pay to dump the sorts of dirt you are after for jumps. If you can't get it for free, you're not trying hard enough. And I'm telling you this having just walked out of a meeting with a landfill site discussing this very issue.

2) Maybe you should start again read more than just the definitions. Seriously, how the f#ck did you come to that conclusion? Review these sections:

5L. No liability for harm suffered from obvious risks of dangerous recreational activities
5M. No duty of care for recreational activity where risk warning
5N. Waiver of contractual duty of care for recreational activities

Well I must concede. You should lobby your local council and get some proper jumps made. Good luck.

haltz

Likes Dirt
The problem with the Cameron park..park is that it was started by a trail/BMX track builder not dropping their name but they knocked up almost every line their to about the 3/4 mark then pulled out the job due to the council not supplying anymore good dirt, coming from an earthmover/builder/digger/rider I think the common sense direction would have been to complete the lines 100% one at a time so they weren't left with a bunch of half assed lines, that led to the council coming in after the builder pulled out over budget to finish the park off, so not so much flack on the councils behalf, i wish I grew up in a time where the council at least put in effort to dirt jumps not just knock down what I spent 98% of my spare time diggin my ass off on, just go ride barnsley, killi, EK or even them little ones down behind the dirt jump park they're fun.
As for spare dirt, in the last 4 hours of work today I stockpiled about 300 tonne of of absolutely sexy trail building fine sculpting clay, find somewhere local to maitland we can use and I'll send it your way

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
The problem with the Cameron park..park is that it was started by a trail/BMX track builder not dropping their name but they knocked up almost every line their to about the 3/4 mark then pulled out the job due to the council not supplying anymore good dirt, coming from an earthmover/builder/digger/rider I think the common sense direction would have been to complete the lines 100% one at a time so they weren't left with a bunch of half assed lines, that led to the council coming in after the builder pulled out over budget to finish the park off, so not so much flack on the councils behalf, i wish I grew up in a time where the council at least put in effort to dirt jumps not just knock down what I spent 98% of my spare time diggin my ass off on, just go ride barnsley, killi, EK or even them little ones down behind the dirt jump park they're fun.
As for spare dirt, in the last 4 hours of work today I stockpiled about 300 tonne of of absolutely sexy trail building fine sculpting clay, find somewhere local to maitland we can use and I'll send it your way
yeah, sounds good, just drop it off at cameron park!