Can 1x10/11 be too hard for some riders?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hi all,

I'm window shopping for a new bike and wondered if a 1x10 or 1x11 will be too hard to live with in terms of my power as a new rider?

Obviously you know nothing about my leg power but I can climb a few hills in the granny gear!

Just wondering if it makes more sense to go with a 2x10 setup or a 1x10?

Ideate

It is for me. I rock a dual ring setup but no front derailleur. When it starts to get tough, I chuck the chain down to the 22t ring with my hand. Current setup feels much better than my old 42t cog with a single 32t ring. Much cheaper also, plus no chain length issues or need for long rear derailleur cage because it's only a 11-36t cassette. Only problem is the manual ring change but if I need to go down there then I'm probably ready for a pre climb break anyway ;)

Z

Zaf

Just go 1x and shrink the front chainring if the gearing is too high, or grow bigger legs.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro

Ivan

Eats Squid
Yes it can. If your fitness level means you need to use a very low gear at some points during a ride, either to recover or climb steep hills, then 1x is probably not the optimal solution for you.

I like 1x, but u don't think it is better than 2x (or 3x), as each have their pro's and cons. I see Tracey Mosley races the Enduro World Series with a Shimano 2x drivetrain, so even someone with her fitness and strength can appreciate a low gear at times.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Give it a try before you jump.workk out what gears you will lose, then try riding a few times limiting your gear selection to what the 1x system would give you. I did this, only going to 1x9 though. Rode a few times only in the middle ring and worked out my legs would get used to it.

Considering going to 1x11 now from 1x9 to get a couple more gears back, 1x9 with an 11-34 cassette doesn't quite have the range. I'm not missing my granny gears, just find I'm spinning out on the road a bit so will go from a 32+11-34 to 36+11-40 or 42

HamboCairns

Yes it can. If your fitness level means you need to use a very low gear at some points during a ride, either to recover or climb steep hills, then 1x is probably not the optimal solution for you.

I like 1x, but u don't think it is better than 2x (or 3x), as each have their pro's and cons. I see Tracey Mosley races the Enduro World Series with a Shimano 2x drivetrain, so even someone with her fitness and strength can appreciate a low gear at times.
I hear talk of 1x for entry level bikes at some point but I can't see that happening unless they have a 15 speed cassette!

Thanks for your input :)

I was looking at a Norco Torrent 7.2 and a Scott Scale 720 Plus, the former has 1x, the latter has 2x.

HamboCairns

Give it a try before you jump.workk out what gears you will lose, then try riding a few times limiting your gear selection to what the 1x system would give you. I did this, only going to 1x9 though. Rode a few times only in the middle ring and worked out my legs would get used to it.

Considering going to 1x11 now from 1x9 to get a couple more gears back, 1x9 with an 11-34 cassette doesn't quite have the range. I'm not missing my granny gears, just find I'm spinning out on the road a bit so will go from a 32+11-34 to 36+11-40 or 42
That's some serious leg power! I need my granny gear right now!

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
I've got a 2x10 hardtail which i can and do ride just about everywhere, i've been cycling for a year or so and i have definitely improved my fitness, stamina, aerobic capacity, lost weight etc. but i don't take it too seriously, i just enjoy the ride. I bought a flash new D/S bike with a sram 1x11 and while i only use it on trails and single track the gearing is definitely making it more of a workout for me. I'm getting used to the limited range compared to my 2x10 but really, for me, i should have tried it first, i would have likely sacrificed the weight advantage and fashion points for a 2x. Mine has a 32t front ring and i'm not going to change it, i think i'm improving to the point where i can enjoy my ride and recover fairly well so i'll stick with it.

dj jedijunglesnow

Likes Dirt

You could save some $$ by going 1x10 with a wide range cassette . Sunrace do a really good one, just got it on my bike. Went 36 + 11-40, so would suit you well. Set up rocks, stoked with it.

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Way too hard for me.I have 2x9 w 34/22 x 11- 34 and 3x9 set ups.
Happy w that . As I have said before it depends on your age size fitness and the terrain esp sharp uphill switchbacks.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Here's an actual scientific calculated comparison or SRAM 1x11 speed and 2x10.

Personally ride 1x11 (32t and 10-42) and feel a beginner/unfit rider could ride a 28 or 30 with no issues.
Sometimes the thoughts of having a "granny" gear helps you persevere through the climbs, when if you look at the actual ratios, you can be pretty close to granny gearing anyway with 1x and a small front chaining.

This is all dependant on what you need at the top end vs bottom end, this is where 1x doesn't cover everything. Ie. Bike packing or XC racing.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I should point out that w 30 front x 42 rear you only have a 30 x10 or 11 top gear which is too low for fanging down hills ,road riding or touring.
also it's cheaper 2x9 cos all the koolaiders are selling their old stuff cheap on RB !!!!!

Ideate

I should point out that w 30 front x 42 rear you only have a 30 x10 or 11 top gear which is too low for fanging down hills ,road riding or touring.
also it's cheaper 2x9 cos all the koolaiders are selling their old stuff cheap on RB !!!!!
That's right rowdy.

When I was on my 1x32t ring, I'd spin out in 11t and it'd crunch and carry on when I was in 42t (using a Zee derailleur though). 2x seems way better and less hassle.

My range is:

22x36: 0.611
34x11: 3.091

Where as on a single ring setup:

32x42: 0.762
32x11: 2.909

Which looks like nothing in terms of these fractions but you do feel it in the real world. The obvious downfall of 2x setup for me is the manual hand changing of the front ring which I don't mind because 80% of my time I don't need it.. but when I do, it's there.

Plus I get all the advantages of a 1x setup :spy:

Last edited:

Markee

Likes Dirt
I'll add my two bobs worth.

I was using Shimano 1x10 32t 11-36, with added 40t OneUp range extender + RadR cage and struggled climbing and ran out of top speed descending.

Now on Shimano 1x11 34t 11-40 with added 45t OneUp range extender. This gives me the climbing ability and the top speed.
The step changes between the gears are not to bad and if I can't push the lower gear I change up and slow down, that's all it takes til fitness and strength improves.

I think you'll find Cambo that unless you do a lot of climbing regularly you will adapt to a 1x setup much quicker than you think. The first 6 months to a year into new cycling will see the biggest changes.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I've had various 8 speed, 3x9, 1x10, 2x10 and 1x11 drive trains on MTB's over the years. All of them involve compromise and none are perfect. Lots of people hate on front deraillers for adding weight/complexity etc, but I've never really had a problem with them. I prefer the 1X drive trains though, just for the simple fact that I can put the dropper lever in the perfect position when there is no front shifter there.

If you're worried about pushing a 1x drive train, you can go pretty small on the front chainring and still be OK. My current bike came with a 28T front ring (sram 1x11) which initially I thought was tiny and a joke, but the only place I've run out gears has been rolling down the bike path going to and from the trails. I bought an MTB and not a roadie so I don't care about that. I never run out of gears on the trails and I can still get up everything I used to with my old 2x drive train. My 2c.

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Ive always told people that i struggle to see how you can get the climbing power (granny gear) and the top end (blasting down a fire trail). Mind you if i weighed 30kg less and was a pro, i'd do it, but i am 105kg and coming up to 50. i'm sticking with my 2x setup. Mind you my last bike was 3x and i loved the top end on that thing.

Horses for courses at the end of the day. Try 2 x 11. if you think you can, ditch the front derailleur, if your happy dont. If your not racing for sheep stations, and your not a weight weenie, I think you'll stick with 2x.

Either way, just get out and ride. You cant do it forever.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ive always told people that i struggle to see how you can get the climbing power (granny gear) and the top end (blasting down a fire trail). Mind you if i weighed 30kg less and was a pro, i'd do it, but i am 105kg and coming up to 50. i'm sticking with my 2x setup. Mind you my last bike was 3x and i loved the top end on that thing.

Horses for courses at the end of the day. Try 2 x 11. if you think you can, ditch the front derailleur, if your happy dont. If your not racing for sheep stations, and your not a weight weenie, I think you'll stick with 2x.

Either way, just get out and ride. You cant do it forever.
You certainly don't get the gear range on a 1x as you would with 3x but at the end of the day, it's what ever suits you and the trails you ride. Some people even enjoy single speed. The advantage in gearing out weighs the weight reduction for me and I don't have many problems with front derailleurs only when it's really muddy but I still find a way to shift.

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
1x12 comes out next month I think (Jenson already have it on their site for sale), this will give you the range of a 2x system with the #soendurobrocool of a 1x set up...can't lose