Can a Australian be sued from another country?

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Legal question folks, as above can I be sued by someone from another country??

Not internet related

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You probably mean something more like:
- can a decision of a court in a foreign land be enforced in Australia?

Or

- can "someone" take legal action against me in an Australian court from abroad?

I believe for either question there are a lot of variables...

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm not a legal person but we do have a trading program or agreement to hand over fugitives with some countries. What have you done Bad Arse ?

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I think you might be all clear but I would check with a legal person if it's something really bad.

Countries with which Australia has concluded extradition agreements[edit]

Australia has extradition treaties with the following countries:

Albania,[1] Argentina,[2] Austria,[3] Belgium,[4] Bolivia,[5] Bosnia & Herzegovina, Brazil,[6] Cambodia,[7] Canada,[8] Chile,[9] Colombia,[10] Cook Island, Cuba,[11] Czech Republic,[12] Democratic Republic of the Congo,[13] Denmark,[14] Ecuador,[15] El Salvador,[16] Estonia,[17] Finland,[18] Fiji, France,[19] Germany,[20] Greece,[21] Guatemala,[22] Haiti,[23] Hungary,[24] Iceland,[25] Indonesia,[26] Iraq,[27] Ireland,[28] Israel,[29] Italy,[30] Japan, Jordan, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia,[31] Lebanon, Liberia,[32] Lithuania,[33] Luxembourg,[34] Macedonia, Malaysia,[35] Marshall Islands, Mexico,[36] Monaco,[37] Montenegro, Nauru, Netherlands,[38] Nicaragua,[39] Norway,[40] Panama,[41] Papua New Guinea, Paraguay,[42] Peru,[43] Philippines,[44] Poland,[45] Portugal,[46] Romania,[47] Samoa, San Marino,[48] Serbia, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, Slovenia, South Africa,[49] South Korea,[50] Spain,[51] Sweden,[52] Switzerland,[53] Thailand, Tonga, Turkey,[54] Tuvalu, United States of America,[55] United Arab Emirates, Uruguay,[56] Vanuatu, Venezuela.[57]

Countries with which Australia has proposed extradition agreements[edit]

There is one country with which Australia is negotiating extradition treaties:

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you might be all clear but I would check with a legal person if it's something really bad.

Countries with which Australia has concluded extradition agreements[edit]

Australia has extradition treaties with the following countries:

Albania,[1] Argentina,[2] Austria,[3] Belgium,[4] Bolivia,[5] Bosnia & Herzegovina, Brazil,[6] Cambodia,[7] Canada,[8] Chile,[9] Colombia,[10] Cook Island, Cuba,[11] Czech Republic,[12] Democratic Republic of the Congo,[13] Denmark,[14] Ecuador,[15] El Salvador,[16] Estonia,[17] Finland,[18] Fiji, France,[19] Germany,[20] Greece,[21] Guatemala,[22] Haiti,[23] Hungary,[24] Iceland,[25] Indonesia,[26] Iraq,[27] Ireland,[28] Israel,[29] Italy,[30] Japan, Jordan, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia,[31] Lebanon, Liberia,[32] Lithuania,[33] Luxembourg,[34] Macedonia, Malaysia,[35] Marshall Islands, Mexico,[36] Monaco,[37] Montenegro, Nauru, Netherlands,[38] Nicaragua,[39] Norway,[40] Panama,[41] Papua New Guinea, Paraguay,[42] Peru,[43] Philippines,[44] Poland,[45] Portugal,[46] Romania,[47] Samoa, San Marino,[48] Serbia, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, Slovenia, South Africa,[49] South Korea,[50] Spain,[51] Sweden,[52] Switzerland,[53] Thailand, Tonga, Turkey,[54] Tuvalu, United States of America,[55] United Arab Emirates, Uruguay,[56] Vanuatu, Venezuela.[57]

Countries with which Australia has proposed extradition agreements[edit]

There is one country with which Australia is negotiating extradition treaties:
Just-feeling-things-for-now..
my-shout-for-beers-next-time.......and-what-a-shout!!!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Croatia??........
On a holiday? Did you have travel insurance? Its possible you'll have some form of cover...

If you never intend to return to Croatia you are probably clear. Maybe...maybe not. Are you the dirty dingo? Got caught out doing dirty deals internationally?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Eat-a-bag-of-dicks!-might-sound-more-familiar?

ayyyee:high5:
I'm not sure you can be sued for eating dicks...unless you pinched the dicks from a private collection or there was some other reason you were not supposed to be eating them?

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Not sure extradition treaties would mean jack for being sued anyway - they're used for criminal matters, and being sued is normally a civil matter.

In either case though, unless you were talking pretty serious matters it's unlikely that they'd follow you back here. The expense involved in going through our legal system to force you to comply with the foreign ruling would normally be prohibitive. But yeah...probably strike Croatia off your holiday list for quite a while.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not sure extradition treaties would mean jack for being sued anyway - they're used for criminal matters, and being sued is normally a civil matter.

In either case though, unless you were talking pretty serious matters it's unlikely that they'd follow you back here. The expense involved in going through our legal system to force you to comply with the foreign ruling would normally be prohibitive. But yeah...probably strike Croatia off your holiday list for quite a while.
He hasn't said what he has done yet, if it was something civil in Croatia and he doesn't pay up it might turn into criminal or it might be criminal in the first place.

Last edited:

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt

It's a civil matter, no maiming or deaths or drugs

Thanks thatsnotme