Can America be fixed?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Democrats keep the Senate, possibly extend their majority if they win the Georgia run off (likely).

House still up in the air, but looking like the slimmest of Republican majorities.

It's like Americans understand that irrational election denying conspiracy peddling Trump canoodling cultist fuckbags do not represent their best interests or something. Today is a good day.

moorey

call me Mia
Democrats keep the Senate, possibly extend their majority if they win the Georgia run off (likely).

House still up in the air, but looking like the slimmest of Republican majorities.

It's like Americans understand that irrational election denying conspiracy peddling Trump canoodling cultist fuckbags do not represent their best interests or something. Today is a good day.
You mean that like 49.9% are oblivious to, if not intentionally sending their country down the drain. It’s an historically good result in the midterms for a new government, and yet still a devastating indictment on society.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
You mean that like 49.9% are oblivious to, if not intentionally sending their country down the drain. It’s an historically good result in the midterms for a new government, and yet still a devastating indictment on society.
Can you not let me have my fun?

I'm still confidently betting that (at most) 30% of Americans have gone full Maga cultist and an equal amount will vote anything but Republican as long as Trump is still holding the reigns. What's really positive about what's happened is that (except for Florida) the majority of non-aligned voters, independents and non-brainwashed Republicans can see what's happening. It's plain to see if you dig into the results.

moorey

call me Mia
Can you not let me have my fun?

I'm still confidently betting that (at most) 30% of Americans have gone full Maga cultist and an equal amount will vote anything but Republican as long as Trump is still holding the reigns. What's really positive about what's happened is that (except for Florida) the majority of non-aligned voters, independents and non-brainwashed Republicans can see what's happening. It's plain to see if you dig into the results.
I know, you’re right. That’s just still way too many insane people with guns for my liking.

I genuinely think Trump will rage quit and run as an independent….ripping the GOP apart. I wish I knew who was going to step up for the Dems in 2024. Can’t be Biden again, no way it’s Harris. I’d like it to be Warren, but I’d accept Whitmer. More likely another old white fossil with millions to blow on a campaign.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I genuinely think Trump will rage quit and run as an independent….ripping the GOP apart.
Confident I'll eat about 25kg of popcorn in the process.
I wish I knew who was going to step up for the Dems in 2024. Can’t be Biden again, no way it’s Harris. I’d like it to be Warren, but I’d accept Whitmer. More likely another old white fossil with millions to blow on a campaign.
Biden has done a great job but will be too old, optics no good and the critical Gen Z vote probably won't be galvanized by an 82 year old. Harris has been a disappointment, Warren too easy to paint as a far left radical.

Whitmer is tough as nails and has a monster track record now, plus seems to have the same appeal with progressives and centrists that Biden does. Her with VP new boy 82nd Airborne Veteran Wes Moore would be unstoppable imo against an uncharismatic flub like DeSantis.

Minlak

custom titis
Help! _ I have tried to keep up and understand - I have seen media coverage saying Trump should now give up and that things went well in the "Mid Terms" but I actually do not understand what any of it means - Does any one mind a goldfish (I have the attention span of a goldfish make it simple) response to what I am meant to understand

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Help! _ I have tried to keep up and understand - I have seen media coverage saying Trump should now give up and that things went well in the "Mid Terms" but I actually do not understand what any of it means - Does any one mind a goldfish (I have the attention span of a goldfish make it simple) response to what I am meant to understand
Alright I'll give it a go...

Republicans were supposed to destroy the Democrats in the mid-term elections - the opposition party typically does anyway, but Republicans had record inflation, supercharged gas prices and extrapolating cost of living on their side. Everyone and their dog was predicting a red wave that would wipe out the Democrats, turn Biden into a 'lame duck' President (one without control of the House or Senate and thus wouldn't be able to get shit done), leaving them ripe for the finishing kill in 2024. Trump duly decided to take credit for all of this, using the expected landslide to announce his candidacy for the President in 2024.

Only none of those things happened and Democrats snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Trump is having a meltdown on Truth Social (seriously, it's next level unhinged off the meds stuff) and because he endorsed so many crappy candidates that went on to lose competitive races, Republicans are fucking pissed. They're even more pissed that Trump fundraised over US$100m for the mid-term cycle, yet only $15m of that went to support any Republicans in races. Hence a whole bunch of them now publicly saying he's done and should move on.

Mind you heaps of them said the same post January 6 then fell back into line like the gutless cowards they are, so we'll see....

moorey

call me Mia
Confident I'll eat about 25kg of popcorn in the process.

Biden has done a great job but will be too old, optics no good and the critical Gen Z vote probably won't be galvanized by an 82 year old. Harris has been a disappointment, Warren too easy to paint as a far left radical.

Whitmer is tough as nails and has a monster track record now, plus seems to have the same appeal with progressives and centrists that Biden does. Her with VP new boy 82nd Airborne Veteran Wes Moore would be unstoppable imo against an uncharismatic flub like DeSantis.
The more pessimistic me thinks that if the aGOP can completely purge themselves from Trump (and I’m not sure they can), that almost anyone they put up can win in 2024. Even if Trumps base are pissed at how they’ll perceive he was treated, they’ll still vole Red, and the swinging voters and moderates that abandoned them in the mid terms will return to the GOP unless the Dems give them a reason not to.
I can’t see voters looking past the options of a gay man, an unknown woman, a radical woman, a black woman or an 82yo man clearly showing mental decline. Bernie is sharp as a tack but it’s too late now. AOC is sometimes touted, and I love her, but that’s moronic, she would be slaughtered by the establishment, let alone what the Republicans would do to her. If she was even shaping up as a serious challenger, she’d be Paul Pelosi’d by a nutter.
I was never a big Harris fan, but my already low opinion of her has bottomed out during her time as VP. I know it’s not her role to be on the limelight, but she’s taken milquetoast to a new level.
On the flip side, while I was tipping the Dems to to hold the House and that’s looking less likely, I think there’s enough moderates in there to prevent an revenge impeachment of Biden for something yet to be decided…but the Jan 6 inquiry is toast….maybe.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

Alright I'll give it a go...

Republicans were supposed to dest...
Morning, morning, morning, good morning....

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Good. Bring on the MAGA / Republican fratricide.

As an aside, his announcement was underwhelming af. Plot twist: he's just announcing a run so he can scam more money from idiots to pay off debts / lawsuits / more debts. Then he'll bail citing some bullshit before he has to face DeSantis in a primary.

moorey

call me Mia

As an aside, his announcement was underwhelming af. Plot twist: he's just announcing a run so he can scam more money from idiots to pay off debts / lawsuits / more debts. Then he'll bail citing some bullshit before he has to face DeSantis in a primary.
And by that time he will have turned 30% of America against DeiSantis. It only gets better herein. Yes, it’s a grift, but he’s really only taking money away from people who would have bought more guns and Chick-fil-A.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

He also wants to get in the election race so that he can claim that any of the impending criminal and civil cases against him are false and are only there to stop him becoming elected.

Minlak

custom titis
So can Biden win a second term or do they need a new candidate? - sorry if already mentioned but my eyes glaze over as soon as I open this thread :)