Can America be fixed?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
they dont have to amend their beloved 2A, it just needs to enforced as written as it was throughout most of their history. The whole "it means anyone can have a gun" caper is a fairly recent development and it used to be widely accepted that unfettered access to guns was not a right.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
they dont have to amend their beloved 2A, it just needs to enforced as written as it was throughout most of their history. The whole "it means anyone can have a gun" caper is a fairly recent development and it used to be widely accepted that unfettered access to guns was not a right.
It could be enforced, but who the fark is going to be doing the enforcing? no-one, or no authority that I can see - in the forseeable future.
When the "right" of people to own and carry firearms, and OPEN carry in some states, is given a far higher priority than the health and safety of the citizens who just want to live their lives without being maimed or killed, then the nation is fucked, probably beyond repair. That's where America is right now.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
1: red line is the expiration of the 1994-2004 assault weapons ban
Interesting graphic, and spot on I reckon.

The cowards who do this are emboldened because nobody can come near them if they're packing an assault rifle. They'd be far less confident of turning up even with handguns I reckon, though of course they still do.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Interesting graphic, and spot on I reckon.

The cowards who do this are emboldened because nobody can come near them if they're packing an assault rifle. They'd be far less confident of turning up even with handguns I reckon, though of course they still do.
Yeah look it’s potentially a bit misleading because it’s a showing mass shootings, and at face value it seems it’d be easier to affect mass casualties with a semi automatic rifle carrying 30 rounds than a hand gun or hunting rifle - so there’s probably some confirmation bias in it and it might look different if it was all gun deaths.

But its a pretty stark trend regardless and considered in context of the political discourse and the explosion of social media from ~2005 onwards it’s sobering.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
If you look at the weapon of choice for the last.... actually pick any shooting, or any cluster of shootings. The answer is always the same: AR-15.

The Assault Weapons Ban worked. Reinstating it would go a long way to stop these from happening.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yeah look it’s potentially a bit misleading because it’s a showing mass shootings, and at face value it seems it’d be easier to affect mass casualties with a semi automatic rifle carrying 30 rounds than a hand gun or hunting rifle - so there’s probably some confirmation bias in it and it might look different if it was all gun deaths.
Yeah for sure.

I think that style of weapon seems to encourage a particular type of crime. The Christchurch guy again couldn't have done what he did without an assault rifle.

The 'genie is out of the bag' in the States I guess, but the answer certainly isn't to keep selling the bloody things.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Agreed 100%, was just acknowledging that it paints a particular picture that isn’t necessarily the whole story.

Even if you believe people should be able to own firearms for “protection” (from other people with firearms :rolleyes:) which is objectively pretty nuts, that they should be able to purchase military weapons that are literally designed for killing people as efficiently as possible is an indefensible position. And yet!

moorey

call me Mia
The don’t care about the constitution. They don’t even know it. It says nothing about everyone having the right to own and carry a gun.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed’

And was written in a different time, where the country’s, and people’s personal safety was under threat….and guns took ages to load and fire a single inaccurate shot. Completely irrelevant in modern society and for the weapons they want to carry.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I guess this is a good spot for something good.
It is dissapointing that his prediction about being arrested was incorrect. I'd much prefer to see images of police storming his home and dragging him away in cuffs and shame. But I do look forward to watching this play out.