Can anyone tell me how to get a tubeless tyre on and off without obscenities?

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I recently had to replace a spoke on my Sun/RINGLE DS1 rims. Which meant taking the Schwalbe Evo Racing Ralphs off which were full of Stans sealant. On the one hand you'd think all that goop would help get the tyre off and lubricate the bead - well it does but it gets everywhere and on your hands too and that's when the fun begins. Now with slippery hands do you think I can get enough grip on the tyre to get it off? Same story getting it back on - I'm damn sure when it was dry I had nowhere near the same amount of trouble.

How do others handle the situation? I'd hate to have to do this on the trail.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Did you unlock both beads from the rim? Unlocking both so they drop into the central channel will take the tension off & make it easier to get the tyre off. Although not all rims & tyres are created equal, and some combinations are a royal pain in the arse to fit & remove.

Carry a rag in your trail kit so you can clean the goo off your hands too; it'll make things a heap easier.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Use correct technique + leave the tyre in the sun for a while before attempting fitting/removal. :thumb:

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Did you unlock both beads from the rim? Unlocking both so they drop into the central channel will take the tension off & make it easier to get the tyre off. Although not all rims & tyres are created equal, and some combinations are a royal pain in the arse to fit & remove.

Carry a rag in your trail kit so you can clean the goo off your hands too; it'll make things a heap easier.
Yes I unsealed both beads and squeezed them into the centre of the rim where it's deeper. Yeah I was wondering about the rim/tyre combination being a tight one...as I recall it wasn't before and it is one I have used on a couple of wheels. I ended up sucking up all the sealant into a GEAX bottle and cleaning the rest out with a rag. I guess it must be a little on the tight side because I never have any problems reinflating them a quick burst of compressed air and the beads hit the rim's edge and pop onto the hook and seal without much fuss at all. Take the good with the bad huh?

I like the sun idea to warm and expand the tyre. And the tape over the mouth is brilliant!

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Weirdest thing happened; after riding yesterday without any issues at all, I hung the bike up on its hook in the garage and this morning I find it with the tyre bead on one side half off the rim! For 2 days since reinflation the tyre has remained seated and not lost any pressure. Que pasa? I've had tubeless go down overnight before, for no apparent reason, but I've never seen this. It was like the pressure blew the bead off the rim. Very strange. And it was easy as anything to get the tyre back on. The only thing I did yesterday before riding was let off some of the pressure, it was about 50psi after reinflating with the air compressor and I dropped it down to 34psi (rear). I have been running Stans tubeless conversions for quite a few years now very reliably but once in a blue moon you get these strange events occurring.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Does your garage get real hot? Hear any gun shot like sounds?
Od tyres can get a bit loose. Or maybe you damaged it a bit. There's a line around the tyre near the bead, check it's in line with the rim all the way around on both sides.