Can I ask a question regarding gearing and hubs?

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can I go smaller than 14t on the back?

I've got a Shimano hub (Stocko on the STP's) with a spacer kit installed, and want to go smaller on the front, say 26t... I'd then have to get a 13t or 12t to compensate. Maybe a cheapish ~$200 SS hub that'd fit?

Will.

Last edited:

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
coggs in the rear usually go down as 11T

i remember seeing 10t single cog some time a few years ago. But basically you dont go any lower because of chain too little chain wrap around the cog

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First of all make sure what gear ratio you really want. You don't want to have to buy another chainring or cog if the gearing doesn't feel right after one week.

If your are using your stock crankset then you may have a bit trouble going down to 26t. You would have to use an inner (granny) chainring with 64pcd (4bolt) - that would look untidy and you may need to adjust the chainline with the SS spacers. The middle ring only goes down to 32t (104 pcd 4 bolt).

If you want to go small on the front then you usually need a BMX type crankset that will take chainwheels instead.

Remember that the less teeth on the rear (or front) cog the faster it will wear out, so you will need to replace it sooner.