Can I build a better Ragley mmmbop for around $2k?

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Geoblocking has largely fucked it. Occasionally one used to be lucky with sale stock of varying items, as long as waiting isn't a problem. Now, most of the stuff isn't any cheaper from overseas, and you're unlikely to save much, normally it costs more. Buying a second hand or sale bike and swapping parts isn't a bad idea, as long as steerer tube length isn't a problem.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure what the intention of this build was other than price, but there’s currently a Kona Honzo DL on Gumtree for $2k and a Commencal Meta AM hardtail for $1950.

If the size is right you could have a complete bike shipped to you and be ready to ride immediately

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm 43 and my back is fine for now. I don't ride as hardcore as some of you, I don't race, I don't send it, I don't roost etc. I bimble along and ride the flow trails and pick my way up and down technical stuff.
Everyone here does the same. Blame the interwebs to make everyone sound like Shaun Palmer and Danny Macaskill.

Walk up hills and pick up the bike and carry it through rock gardens FTW.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Not sure what the intention of this build was other than price, but there’s currently a Kona Honzo DL on Gumtree for $2k and a Commencal Meta AM hardtail for $1950.

If the size is right you could have a complete bike shipped to you and be ready to ride immediately
The idea was to see if I could build a better bike using the same frame (Ragley mmmbop 2020).

It seems that Chain Reaction reduce the full bike price compared to the UK and that's why building a bike is more expensive than a full build in this case.

Also I love the frame and colour! Same with the Ragley Big Al (29er).

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I built a Dartmoor Primal last year, upgraded the fork on my FS bike and thought yeah need an HT, I'll use the take-off fork for that. Used s/h cranks/BB, used GX Eagle so wheels would be compatible. Was around $3K :oops: due to paying for new stuff at retail prices. Found Sun Ringle Duroc wheel set from cyclingdeal at $400, but by the time I got a 12spd cassette, tyres and rotors there wasn't much change from $1000 !
The Primal is a nice bike but I paid through the nose for it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Time for a holiday...order your gear, have it delivered to your hotel, enjoy the holiday, enjoy the bike/gear. Sure you won't come out ahead but you'll have a great time