Can I repair Level T Brakes cut at the caliper cheaply?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Picked up a couple of sets of Level T brakes cheap and the seller said the hose would need to be "reconnected". Wasn't until I checked them last night I found they've been cut at the caliper :mad:

Being cheap brakes I don't want to put any money into them, so is there a cheap way of unfucking them? Can only find full hose kits online, but being they "screw into" the caliper can I just get the nut, olive etc as parts?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
So he has chucked out the nut and the olive from the caliper?
If you still have the cut off should be able to move the olive/nut across to the uncut hose ?

nathanm

Eats Squid
So he has chucked out the nut and the olive from the caliper?
If you still have the cut off should be able to move the olive/nut across to the uncut hose ?
yeah nut and olive wasn't included unfortunately. Looks like I need to source a new nut which I may have if they're the same as Shimano? and a stealth-a-majig.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The olive cannot be reused because it is squished onto the hose. The barb insert, which supports the hose end against compression, can be salvaged, but given the low cost of a new one, with olive, it's not worth the effort to extract.

moorey

call me Mia
Write one of your strongly worded letters to SRAM. I’m sure they’ll fix those AND send you a set of new Code RSC’s for your trouble.

moorey

call me Mia
Do you think theyd give me the parts I need for free? It's probably worth giving it a crack actually, whos there Australian distro? Or should I just email SRAM HQ?
Oh absolutely, particularly if worded strongly enough with additional masked threats of ACCC involvement.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It would be really nice if Sram would use the 'stealth-a-majig' on their OEM brakes, and advertise it as a feature. Surely it wouldn't cost much more at production, and No more cutting hoses to remove / install from frame!

moorey

call me Mia
‘Big olive/barb/banjo’ are behind this. Smart companies and riders choose external routing.