Can planes make metal expand permanently?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18757
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18757

I orderd a BMX from the US and they shipped it over to my dads work, and he is going to be away for a while so he had it courier deliver it to my house. I pulled everything out of the box and start to assemble it. I realise that my multi tool doesn't fit properly in any of the bolts. It's as if the multi tool is a tiny bit to big. What's wrong? Any ideas at all?

Edit: I tried two different multi tools that had been sitting in the garage for a while.

fatass

Banned
It's a BMX. Root of your problem, but I doubt that the air compression or what from a plane will make metal expand, unless it is a really really really soft metal. (more than that gold foil stuff?). The only thing would be air from tubes, but tubes ain't made of metal. Send it back and buy another MTB.

Ryan

Radministrator
Just a guess, but if it's from the US it has probably has Imperial (eg: in inches) sized bolts rather than metric (eg: in mm) sized ones. The reason for this is that Americans are retarded and cannot accept change in even the simplest or most logical form.

D

Deleted member 18757

So, I have to go buy a imperial multi tool? Would my LBS have one?

Ryan

Radministrator
So, I have to go buy a imperial multi tool? Would my LBS have one?
No, the answer is yes, airplanes can make bolts expand and the new sizing they expand to is called "imperial".

The easiest solution is to air-freight the bike back across the International Date Line (Hawaii should do it) then have it shipped back to you by sea. Flying it back in the direction it came will reverse the process, then shipping it by sea will make sure it doesn't happen again.

D

Deleted member 18757

No, the answer is yes, airplanes can make bolts expand and the new sizing they expand to is called "imperial".

The easiest solution is to air-freight the bike back across the International Date Line (Hawaii should do it) then have it shipped back to you by sea. Flying it back in the direction it came will reverse the process, then shipping it by sea will make sure it doesn't happen again.
Aah sarcasm!

So whould my local bike shop have a imperial multi tool thing?

D

Deleted member 18757

Mission... Okay I am going to go get one tomorrow, thanks everyone.

tu plang

knob

Ryan, dont go spraying your uneducated materials rubbish around here.

Obviously the only way to fix the problem is to have them shipped back to the US by sea to avoid further deformation of the metal and then have them brought back by submarine, where they will return to their original size due to the extreme pressure. EVERYONE knows flying back wont shrink them again.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
God you people are stupid.

Just fly the bolts back and return them on a boat/submarine, why send the whole frame, ya dolts! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
God you people are stupid.

Just fly the bolts back and return them on a boat/submarine, why send the whole frame, ya dolts! :rolleyes:
Don't be silly, they have expanded permanently. That means forever.

What he needs to do is order a set of Allen keys from the same place he got the bike. The plane trip will make those expand to fit the bolts. Problem solved and he only pays postage one way

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Or, maybe they could be flown around the world again and that way they would be a full size bigger and thusly fit normal Allen keys again, albeit the next size up!

Isn't it actually Allem keys or something such?

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Don't be silly, they have expanded permanently. That means forever.

What he needs to do is order a set of Allen keys from the same place he got the bike. The plane trip will make those expand to fit the bolts. Problem solved and he only pays postage one way
Now im with it,put the allen key in said bolt,send it,expand bolt and allen key,send back,problem solved!
Im going to ring sweden,nobel prize will be on the way!