Can this SRAM X0 Derailler be fixed?

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
If so.. please tell spanky how....

to the untrained pigs optics.. looks like just the 'cage' has been fuxorred, due to a stick trying to intersect the RD's relative position in time and space... as you can see... the stick won...

any suggestions on repairs? places to get spares?

'elp

s

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just get out the rubber persuader!

If that fails; hit up: Page 20 here for the spare parts lists.

Just get your LBS to order them in for you. I'm assuming it's just the cage assembly and possibly jockey wheels.

Good luck.

John U

MTB Precision
I cracked a the back section (plate) of the cage on a medium X0 2006 rear derailleur. It worked ok for a while afterwards but then started to snag on shifts into a harder gear. I did a search on the web to try and get an idea of the cost of the part and the best I could find (only 1 of about 2 sites i could find with the part) was in the US and wanted about $100. I am not sure what the pricing is like here and would be interested to know if you find anything out.

The question I had to ask myself was was it worth fixing when a new X0 derailleur can be had for about $200 (pre 2010). The bike it was on now has an X9 derailleur. The old X0 is there for spares if needed.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I cracked a the back section (plate) of the cage on a medium X0 2006 rear derailleur. It worked ok for a while afterwards but then started to snag on shifts into a harder gear. I did a search on the web to try and get an idea of the cost of the part and the best I could find (only 1 of about 2 sites i could find with the part) was in the US and wanted about $100. I am not sure what the pricing is like here and would be interested to know if you find anything out.

The question I had to ask myself was was it worth fixing when a new X0 derailleur can be had for about $200 (pre 2010). The bike it was on now has an X9 derailleur. The old X0 is there for spares if needed.
On that subject, Monza wanted $89.95 (off the top of my head, can't find the email) for a replacement short cage X.9 assembly.

For some inconceivable reason I believe they are trying to put the cage option out of range? Can't think why...

John U

MTB Precision
On that subject, Monza wanted $89.95 (off the top of my head, can't find the email) for a replacement short cage X.9 assembly.

For some inconceivable reason I believe they are trying to put the cage option out of range? Can't think why...
If that's the case the Mid cage XO I had was one the carbon ones and I am guessing would have been double that.

As spanky's isn't one of the carbon jobbies it may be worthwhile fixing it.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wouldnt a nice new virgin derailler be so much better though? i wouldnt bother going through the hassle of trying to repair it to find its still not working right. go buy yourself a shiny new 2010 coloured one!

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Thanks for all your input guys, spanky ran off with the credit card this morning and found a new 2007 X0 derailleur for not much more than a replacement cage would cost... so, guess it becomes spare parts for the new one....

still super p*ssed it occurred... first smashed derailleur in almost ten years of riding..... and sh*t loads of beer did not help at all..

s

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
or did it...
admittedly the beer made spanky feel better about many things... but, the deralleur was still f*cked this morning as the hangover crept into spankys life....

so, to be technically correct... the beer did not help fix the derailleur, but probably stopped quite a few other things being smashed....

s

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Thanks for all your input guys, spanky ran off with the credit card this morning and found a new 2007 X0 derailleur for not much more than a replacement cage would cost... so, guess it becomes spare parts for the new one....

still super p*ssed it occurred... first smashed derailleur in almost ten years of riding..... and sh*t loads of beer did not help at all..

s
You need to get up here more often S to just get some sticks into your life, there like leaches, they just love to hang on, and sometimes will extract blood from you!..First in 10 years, you need more drambuie in your life as well!

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Yeah, pig was all planned to do Yellowmundee laps tomorrow... on his first day off in what seems like forever.... and he don't have one working cycle out of four.... broke two of them yesterday...

so p*ssed at the moment

spanky

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Yeah, pig was all planned to do Yellowmundee laps tomorrow... on his first day off in what seems like forever.... and he don't have one working cycle out of four.... broke two of them yesterday...

so p*ssed at the moment

spanky
Let me know when your up for a night mission, the turgid boys all need to get the cobwebs out of there lights, and the mundee is running sweet at the moment, except for the snakey's..also a trek out to lidsdale for a night session, great track, lots of bumps and jumps and fun, not much climbing as well(yippee), let us know S.
T

Binaural

Eats Squid
Should be fixable, provided you have not screwed up the thread on the jockey wheel mounting screw. Might be best to take that one into the shop and see if they can put a screw in, or use one off a second bike if you have one.

Incidentally, never try and fix the handlebar shifter - I once spent about 2 hours trying to put one back together after opening it up and allowing springs and cogs to go _everywhere_. Not happy, Jan.