can you shuttle derby black stump with your own vehicle

steel-o

Likes Dirt
hi going derby with a few guys and will have a shuttle vehicle with us. can we shuttle ourselves to the top of black stump or is access restricted to shuttle companies only.

Atlas looks accessible form public roads?

cheers for any feedback.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Yeah I thinks it's do-able from Cascade Dam Road....
(just be aware there are some access roads with signage to deter "unauthorised" shuttles.....but I think that's at Weldborough...)

But you should spend some money in town to offset the free shuttles!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I seen some fuckwits heading up to Black Stump in a rental Corolla.....
It was like a Benny hill sketch.

If you have a 4x4, it's and easy shuttle. Toyota corolla....not so much.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

rstim

Likes Dirt
Yeah you can self shuttle, they have signs to try and deter people from doing it but it's a public road so you can't be stopped. Atlas and blue teir can be self shuttled but the unless you have a dedicated driver someone will miss out on all the fun.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
As has been said, if doing so, please support the local businesses and spend some money in town while there. I love a good self shuttle, but always more than happy to pay vertigo for some whenever I'm there.
Don't shuck with Buck.

PJO

in me vL comy
got landcover discovery hired but also some shuttles from vertigo so a micx of both.
You'll have no problems in that car. You can access all the shuttle points in a private car, anything with a moderate level of clearance and 4x4 will do for the Black Stump/Return to Sender, Atlas, and Blue Tier shuttle points. The Black Stump shuttle has the roughest road, reckon Atlas and Blue Tier could even be done in a two-wheel drive as long as it had a bit of clearance.

As has been said, if doing so, please support the local businesses and spend some money in town while there. I love a good self shuttle, but always more than happy to pay vertigo for some whenever I'm there.
Don't shuck with Buck.
Happy to pay but on busy days the shuttles do get fully booked, no option apart from riding or "self" shuttling. Was up there on the weekend and the morning shuttles for Blue Tier were booked out.

Also, if driving up it is:
7-8min to Black Stump from Derby trailhead.
23-25min to Atlas from Derby trailhead (if you head out towards Branxholm and go up Mt Paris Dam Rd), a bit longer if you use the sealed road to Weldborough and then head up.
30-35min to Blue Tier from Weldborough. (add another 22min if coming from Derby)

As suggested spend your money in the town, if not on shuttles then elsewhere, The Hub do decent pizzas and meals as well as a well stocked beer fridge.

Last edited:

steel-o

Likes Dirt
spending with vertigo

get 4 shuttles booked across 4 days = 200 buck per person.

but some morning/ afternoons are free so doing some back stump self shuttles. hope the satisfies spending enough in town.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last time I booked Black Stump shuttles with Vertigo it was limited to 3 uplifts over 3 hours which I thought was a bit shit as you can easily do more.
Self shuttles for Black stump would be better in my opinion to make the most of your time there.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Question about self shuttling.

I only have a Honda CRV, not the most capable off road vehicle. Would you be able to self-shuttle Black stump or are you better off paying the $33 to the shuttle operators?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Go see Richard at Mad and pay him to shuttle. You could hook up with other riders as well. The turn around spot doesn’t have the most room.

rstim

Likes Dirt

I only have a Honda CRV, not the most capable off road vehicle. Would you be able to self-shuttle Black stump or are you better off paying the $33 to the shuttle operators?
You'll be fine in the CRV it won't have any problems getting to black stump, just don't drive like a maniac and you'll be fine.

binner

Hath shat hymself

YES, self it if its not the weekend or busy day

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
If self shuttling make sure you have a UHF, and communicate as per the signs. There are a few skinny sections, and if you hear someone is coming down a section you are approaching, pull over until they pass, then comm that you are coming up. Makes for safe, smooth passage.

Mad do $10 shuttles from the carpark. Turn up, pay and load.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
If self shuttling make sure you have a UHF, and communicate as per the signs. There are a few skinny sections, and if you hear someone is coming down a section you are approaching, pull over until they pass, then comm that you are coming up. Makes for safe, smooth passage.

Mad do $10 shuttles from the carpark. Turn up, pay and load.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I think it would be great if one of the businesses in Derby offered UHF hire, it's not something that you'd usually think of taking on your MTB vacation.