Canada

diggerz

Likes Dirt
Planning to be in Whistler sometime in July staying for about 6 months.

Yes there will be riding!

Anybody have any tips on best (dirt cheap, I'm a poor student) places to stay are? I've looked at the Youth hostel, the one that the Olympic athletes stayed at, and that seemed pretty good (about 30 - 40 CAD per night for a shared room), but I'm just seeing if there are any other options out there.

I've also heard it's pretty expensive in Whistler. Seeing as I'm going for 6 months, I'll need to shop for groceries etc. Anybody have any tips on where to shop that isn't $8 for an apple?

Any other general info about anything past travelers have experienced and care to share is greatly appreciated!

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Staff accommodation. Doesn't get much cheaper, and in summer you don't have to be staff to get in.

Cheap eats: Kraft Dinner. One of the snowboard shops used to sell three boxes for 99c. That means you can have three meals a day for less than a dollar.

You can live cheap in Whistler. Back in the day, we got by on $15 a week for food. We weren't especially nutritional though. Problem will be that you're riding bikes, and those things can be expensive to keep running.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dont stay at the youth hostel, great accomo but too far from the action. you will spend all your beer money and time on busses!

diggerz

Likes Dirt
Staff accommodation. Doesn't get much cheaper, and in summer you don't have to be staff to get in.

Cheap eats: Kraft Dinner. One of the snowboard shops used to sell three boxes for 99c. That means you can have three meals a day for less than a dollar.

You can live cheap in Whistler. Back in the day, we got by on $15 a week for food. We weren't especially nutritional though. Problem will be that you're riding bikes, and those things can be expensive to keep running.
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll focus on lining up a job first before accommodation, because having a job might make accommodation sort itself out.

I had my scepticisms about the Youth Hostel, thought there might have been something out of character.

Thanks for the heads up on where I should actually be posting my questions Jazza, will post in that thread from now on.

Thanks again!

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
I've looked at the Youth hostel, the one that the Olympic athletes stayed at, and that seemed pretty good (about 30 - 40 CAD per night for a shared room), but I'm just seeing if there are any other options out there.
HI Whistler is the shit my friend. I stayed there for a month in 2013 and had a great time, staff are awesome and its about a 10-15 bus ride to the village, if you get a bus card its fairly cheap too. Rooms fit four people, theres a locker and a bit of space under your bunk for storage. Kitchen is well set up and the living area is great as well. I miss my time there, the atmosphere in that hostel was awesome.

Stay there for the first two weeks if you cant get staff accommodation. That way you can meet people make a few buddies and network a little bit. People often post rooms for let on the notice board inside. Opportunities came up fairly often

Last edited: