Canberra rides and beers

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Looking more like that I'll be joining for beers on Friday.

Should be able to get the REmedy rolling again for a ride - something I haven't done for a good number of months now, ride, that is!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Cool, works for me too. Just will need to drive out to Capital so keeping it tame/civil :p

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
@droenn is around the corner from me so I'm happy to look at that option, aren't you north side @johnny?
I thought he was northside for some reason.

So, who's northside and wants to rideshare?

I do have to raise something though, I have a young kid who cannot be vaccinated. So hanging out in a crowded indoor setting might not be a great option for me. Capital has a high roof, so that's one positive, but what's the ventilation like and are there outdoor options even for when its raining?

Litenbror

Eats Squid

I do have to raise something though, I have a young kid who cannot be vaccinated. So hanging out in a crowded indoor setting might not be a great option for me. Capital has a high roof, so that's one positive, but what's the ventilation like and are there outdoor options even for when its raining?
Capital is good for ventilation but will be crowded on a Friday night. Outside options were pretty good the other week when I was there and it was raining.

Scotty T

Walks the walk

Big space that's pretty well ventilated but I would be hoping we can all hang outside as I'm paranoid about lots of people too even without your kind of issue. They have some shelter outside, and I think they improved on that with COVID because everyone was outside, can anyone do a fly by before Friday to take a look?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Outside they had two tents set up with open sides and benches inside as well as the tables under the overhang out the front which is where we sat. Overall it's pretty good but like you guys I'm generally avoiding crowded places. If it's going to be too crowded there's always the arboretum and a 6 pack option?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Anyone know if we can make a booking for an outside spot at capital?

any other venues with good outdoor areas? I can get there early to try and get a spot.

also happy to grab a 6er and go somewhere, but it would require shelter.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Anyone know if we can make a booking for an outside spot at capital?
They are booked out Friday. They only book 50% of the area to allow for walk ins. If we want to avoid people altogether and go to an outdoor spot we could do Black Mountain Peninsula or even Stromlo under the BBQ shelter or the pavillion, if Handlebar is open option of tap beers or your own, I have hung out under the pavillion in the rain before having beers.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
If it's going to be too crowded there's always the arboretum and a 6 pack option?
Can't think of any sheltered picnic-ish area at the Arbo in case of rain, otherwise that would be good, they are lacking those kind of outdoor areas.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
@droenn is around the corner from me so I'm happy to look at that option, aren't you north side @johnny?
I was over near Stromlo until a few weeks ago, now back Belco side after a few years....

Its going to be hard to get a booking anywhere as most places are leaving space for walkins and only accepting large groups for bookings.

Old Canberra Inn is another choice as they have outdoor options - think the rain is forecast to be mostly done by the afternoon / evening.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Can't think of any sheltered picnic-ish area at the Arbo in case of rain, otherwise that would be good, they are lacking those kind of outdoor areas.
Yeah I think your on the money with the pavilion at Stromlo and hopefully handlebar is open.