Cane Creek Double Barrel Vs Double Barrel with Climb Switch. Opinions needed

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
Hi fellas,

I'm looking to buy a Cane Creek double barrel air and I'm wondering if anyone has happened to use both shocks and actually noticed a difference with the climb switch and can see the extra benefit/price difference in the shock?
Also, happy to here if you have one and ridden it yourself and feel that you need the climb switch adjustment.
Currently using a Fox Float CTD and run it fully open on everything except for the road i change it to trail mode.
My riding style is aggressive and prefer the downs more than the ups...

Keen to hear your opinions and views.

Thanks

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
I have an inline with is pretty much the same concept. I ride around mostly on fully open except in fire road climbs when the CS goes on. Or if riding a long XC section I will have it half on. It doesn't work like CTD it's not a lock out but it dials up the LSC and makes the bike very versatile.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Used both on the same bike, the climb switch is not for me and are now running a standand CCDBA.

I tend to forget to turn it off for the descents, and while it was pretty good on smoothish fireroad ascents and riding to the trails, I just found it didn't suit my riding style nor the bike really needed it.

Jensonusa had both at the same price when I bought my CCDBA, might be worth a dig around. (heard a LBS rumour the climb switch models not being as reliable??)

moorey

call me Mia
I confess I worried about this. The new (s/h) frame that arrived last week has a CCBD air. 90% of my riding is regular trail riding these days, plenty of climbing, but also fun fast descents. I wasn’t particularly impressed with the initial feel of it, just sitting on it, and not being a CS, I was dubious about it on the long climbs. I don’t run the climb/PP very much, but it’s good to have particularly 3 hours into the ride when I’m flagging.

BUT, I love this thing! Did almost 4hr/60km on it, and really didn’t miss the climb/PP. Maybe it’s the frame that pedals well (spitfire), but never felt myself looking for the switch. The shock itself feels a world apart from ctd/rp23 based on one ride, but I plan to swap around shocks on the frame, just to test it out.

I haven’t ridden a CS yet. I know if I had one I’d flick the switch…but I don’t, so I’ll ride it as it is and love it, and never even think about it.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I confess I worried about this. The new (s/h) frame that arrived last week has a CCBD air. 90% of my riding is regular trail riding these days, plenty of climbing, but also fun fast descents. I wasn’t particularly impressed with the initial feel of it, just sitting on it, and not being a CS, I was dubious about it on the long climbs. I don’t run the climb/PP very much, but it’s good to have particularly 3 hours into the ride when I’m flagging.

BUT, I love this thing! Did almost 4hr/60km on it, and really didn’t miss the climb/PP. Maybe it’s the frame that pedals well (spitfire), but never felt myself looking for the switch. The shock itself feels a world apart from ctd/rp23 based on one ride, but I plan to swap around shocks on the frame, just to test it out.

I haven’t ridden a CS yet. I know if I had one I’d flick the switch…but I don’t, so I’ll ride it as it is and love it, and never even think about it.
Hahaha... told you that you would love it....... !

moorey

call me Mia
Hahaha... told you that you would love it....... !
Yes, you did. However, you forgot to ring me to tell me to raise my dropper an inch. Started too low, and was too lazy to raise it. Fugging thighs are killing me today. You're dead to me.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Yes, you did. However, you forgot to ring me to tell me to raise my dropper an inch. Started too low, and was too lazy to raise it. Fugging thighs are killing me today. You're dead to me.
ah... you poor petal... did you hurt your mangina?

placebo

Likes Dirt
Got sent a climb switch model instead of the normal CCBD air by Jenson. Only real advantage I've found is that you can change the settings using a 4mm hex instead of the normal cane creek tool. I've got another bike with the coil, so I always carry it in my pack anyway.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I've had a CS for over as year, zero issues so far. The CS switch basically ups the dampening and slows down the rebound. IMO it doesn't make climbing any easier and the difference in feel is quite small. I'd say 20-30% firmer. If you forget to flick it on/off, you may not even notice on the up, but def on the down :)

At the end of the day, I'd rather have the option of a switch than not.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
It's very bike and shock set up dependent. Although most new bikes pedal well enough not to need it. If your bike is set up soft for DH style character you'll find it boobs more etc.
I never bother using any lock out myself. Maybe on road or fire road climbs, but can live without it.
I'd only get the smaller chamber shock if your bike needs it. The bigger shock will have better performance in most instances.

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys.

I used a 08 DHX5 air previously before my Fox CTD shock. The pro pedal adjustment the DHX5 had was reasonably noticeable and slowed the rebound and ramped up the compression a fair bit, more noticeable than an old RP23 shock. Which sounds like what the new climb switch model DB air does.

I'm riding a Morewood Sukuma, pedals extremely well (I can beat roadies up the old freeway and the Fox CTD is in trail mode) I've got Pikes up front and 1x9 gearing (30t up front and 11-34t on back). So DH is definitely my strong point. Considering how well the Sukuma pedals, it makes me think that i won't have a major benefit with the CS model and worth the extra coin. And after doing a bit more research on other forums, most people seem to feel the same. And the people that have the CS model ride more the alpine style riding and have a longer climbs then i would here.

I've been offered a CS model cane creek for $600ono which has the XV air can and had just come back from a full service/tune by NS dynamics apparnetly.
NS have the standard Cane Creek DBA for $495 and already has the normal air can installed. CCDB air w/CS is $780

Cane Creek recommend I use the normal air can size. So i would have to swap out the XV air can, if i was to go with the one I've been offered. Which makes the NS service kinda pointless and it might not be tuned for my bike, so it may not feel quite right. I can't find a standard air can for sale... yet. But an XV air can is about $80 so roughly that i would assume.

So my dilemma is, should i consider buying the second hand CCDBA with cs for $680ono when i can find an air can. Or, buy the standard CCDBA from NS for $500 early in the new year, knowing it's going to suit my bike and that it comes with warranty if anything was to go wrong?

Thanks again for your help.
Jake

bgarry

Likes Bikes
You can also add 2 Large Volume Reduction Spacers in the XV Can which will bring it back equal the Volume of the Standard Can

http://www.canecreek.com/products/s...add-reduction-spacers-how-much-do-they-reduce

Regards,
Brendan

Thanks guys.

I used a 08 DHX5 air previously before my Fox CTD shock. The pro pedal adjustment the DHX5 had was reasonably noticeable and slowed the rebound and ramped up the compression a fair bit, more noticeable than an old RP23 shock. Which sounds like what the new climb switch model DB air does.

I'm riding a Morewood Sukuma, pedals extremely well (I can beat roadies up the old freeway and the Fox CTD is in trail mode) I've got Pikes up front and 1x9 gearing (30t up front and 11-34t on back). So DH is definitely my strong point. Considering how well the Sukuma pedals, it makes me think that i won't have a major benefit with the CS model and worth the extra coin. And after doing a bit more research on other forums, most people seem to feel the same. And the people that have the CS model ride more the alpine style riding and have a longer climbs then i would here.

I've been offered a CS model cane creek for $600ono which has the XV air can and had just come back from a full service/tune by NS dynamics apparnetly.
NS have the standard Cane Creek DBA for $495 and already has the normal air can installed. CCDB air w/CS is $780

Cane Creek recommend I use the normal air can size. So i would have to swap out the XV air can, if i was to go with the one I've been offered. Which makes the NS service kinda pointless and it might not be tuned for my bike, so it may not feel quite right. I can't find a standard air can for sale... yet. But an XV air can is about $80 so roughly that i would assume.

So my dilemma is, should i consider buying the second hand CCDBA with cs for $680ono when i can find an air can. Or, buy the standard CCDBA from NS for $500 early in the new year, knowing it's going to suit my bike and that it comes with warranty if anything was to go wrong?

Thanks again for your help.
Jake

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
You can also add 2 Large Volume Reduction Spacers in the XV Can which will bring it back equal the Volume of the Standard Can

http://www.canecreek.com/products/s...add-reduction-spacers-how-much-do-they-reduce

Regards,
Brendan
Thanks Brendan, seems like it would be more messing around and more cost. Although I've read it's quite easy to change the air can.
Anyone know how much a standard air volume can costs or how much the air can spacers/reducers are?
Thanks

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find the climb switch handy when standing pedalling in a high gear on the climbs, if your a granny sit and spin, not so much.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Sorry sorry sorry.
I shouldn't have said bigger can. I meant don't get the Inline unless needed as the piggy back DB will have more oil reserves and more surface area for air cooling the oil etc.
Get whatever sized air can your bike needs.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got the CS on a LT tallboy. The cs get's used on long/steep climbs and also on the 25km to and from yarra trails I do along bayswater/mullum mullum area bike paths - good for that.
Once you spend the time tuning it, it's the funk

Last edited:

oriion

Likes Dirt
Ridden both DB air + CS and also recently the inline.

Inline was just way too weak for me, as I'm a fatass and need more air can volume than the inline offered - even with a high pressure i bottomed it out several times, and was scared if i pushed it anymore i'd pop a seal.

The DB Air & Air CS are quite different feeling shocks. the CS option i use frequently and the difference for me is night and day.

Lots of variables need to be considered. Weight, riding style, regular trails.

for me the CS is an outright champ.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Thanks Brendan, seems like it would be more messing around and more cost. Although I've read it's quite easy to change the air can.
Anyone know how much a standard air volume can costs or how much the air can spacers/reducers are?
Thanks
It only takes a few minutes to add/remover volume spacers, you get some free with the shock. I've got a XV can on a V10 and run it with the big fat volume spacer. One of the +s with this shock is that you can set it up so many different ways.

empire

Likes Bikes
From my experience on a banshee prime I don't think the cs lever is absolutely necessary. Provided you have a reasonably efficient rear suspension design (like banshees ks link) then you should be fine.