Cane Creek.

kane1174

Likes Bikes
I switched out the Fox Float X Factory on my Bronson to the Cane Creek DB Inline coil as I could never get the Fox dialled right. Best investment in my bike I ever did, don't think I'll ever go back to air again.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
So, a few of you know I've been battling this Inline for a while now (JTmofo!) Well, i finally made a heap of progress! Turns out the whole "dialing in" some LSR etc had me fu@ked. In my mind, turning the dial right was adding dampening, or slowing the return of the shock. No, it was more like righty chattery, lefty plushy! I had 15 turns of LSR on it, and it was virtually un rideable from chatter, went back to 8 turns, boom, beautiful! Gotta admit, it seems a little backwards to me adding turns would speed it up, but hey, i am only a spray painter! It's not far off spot on now, I'm wrapped. Told ya JT, I'm trying! Cheers!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So, a few of you know I've been battling this Inline for a while now (JTmofo!) Well, i finally made a heap of progress! Turns out the whole "dialing in" some LSR etc had me fu@ked. In my mind, turning the dial right was adding dampening, or slowing the return of the shock. No, it was more like righty chattery, lefty plushy! I had 15 turns of LSR on it, and it was virtually un rideable from chatter, went back to 8 turns, boom, beautiful! Gotta admit, it seems a little backwards to me adding turns would speed it up, but hey, i am only a spray painter! It's not far off spot on now, I'm wrapped. Told ya JT, I'm trying! Cheers!

Ah delighted for ya mate. They are a tricky thing to set up. You need to firstly know what it is actually doing before being able to adjust it correctly. As above, the CC app is great as it explains what each issue actually feels like, and makes you adjust your way out of it.

Anyway, its all a learning curve.......

By the way.... I need the bumper bars on my brothers Liberty painted.... you know anyone that's any good? :thumb:

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt

Not sure what you mean? Turning the dial clockwise does add more

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Not sure what you mean? Turning the dial clockwise does add more
I thought turning the dial clockwise on LSR would ADD dampening/slow the shock return, but it doesn't, it speeds it up. Seemed strange is all.

Z

Zaf

I thought turning the dial clockwise on LSR would ADD dampening/slow the shock return, but it doesn't, it speeds it up. Seemed strange is all.
That is strange, Clockwise turns on the controls are adding dampening to the circuit and it should reduce the shaft speed because of it.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I switched out the Fox Float X Factory on my Bronson to the Cane Creek DB Inline coil as I could never get the Fox dialled right. Best investment in my bike I ever did, don't think I'll ever go back to air again.
I switched from a CCDB air to an Inline Coil on my Norco Range and it's so damn good that the settings can be all over the shop and it's still stupidly plush. Haven't had any trouble setting up either shocks, they were both pretty close with the base setting on the CC website and have only required small tweaks from there. As has been mentioned, the most important part of the process is gaining a good understanding of what each setting actually does. My completely simplistic way of looking at it:

LSR - how fast the shock returns on small hits (first part of stroke), seems to work well quite fast here, which makes it quite lively/poppy while maintaining good traction and doesn't pack up with multiple small hits.
HSR - how fast the shock returns on big hits (last part of stroke), this should be a bit slower that LSR to assist soaking up big hits, like drops.
LSC - how easily the shock moves through it's travel in the first part of the stroke, if it's diving too much or blowing through travel on small/medium hits it needs more dialled in. The compromise here is having the shock stand up in its travel while remaining super plush in the first part of the stroke. Far more easily achieved with a coil shock, which has much less stiction.
HSC - how easily the shock moves through its travel in the last part of the travel - essentially a kind of bottom out control. If the shock is bottoming out too easily it needs more HSC so that it ramps up more in the big hits. Obviously on the air version you can also add more air, but only to the point where you have the correct amount of sag. Better to add HSC and leave sag at ~30% than reduce sag by upping PSI.

Could be completely off here, so feel free to critique.

After having the luxury of all this adjustment, there's no way I could go back to a basic shock like a Monarch or CTD. They seem to be fraught with compromise and it's a pita to mess around with shims/volume spacers/revalving etc rather than just turn some dials.

Last edited:

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
That is strange, Clockwise turns on the controls are adding dampening to the circuit and it should reduce the shaft speed because of it.
That's what i thought! No wonder i couldn't get the fu@ken thing sorted. Not sure about the other dials, but the LSR is def that way.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt

I've got the same shock. And I'm sure it adds LSR damping when I turn clockwise.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I'm tossing up between a DB Air inline CS or Monarch+ RC3. Found both on special for 350-400.

I've read that the DB Air Inline CS isn't suited for heavy riders.
I'm about 90kg with gear on and do mostly trail riding with some downhill/DJ.
Bike is a Specialized Enduro currently running an RP23. 26" chyeah boi

From reading quite a few forums, I've deduced this regarding the DB Air inline CS and Cane creek:
- Customer service is awesome
- 2014/2015 had a high failure rate

How's 2016 and 2017 been for these? Did CC upgrade any of your warrantied shocks and how are they going so far?

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Hey guys! So I finally robbed a few banks (and took JT's advice) and sent this fu@ken shock up to NS Dynamics for an upgrade. Wowee, what a difference! It's like a completely different bike. Like riding a cloud. Apparently, because of my mud guts, it was taking too much PSI to keep the shock at the top, and therefore making it chattery/un rideable with the small bump. Cost me a fu@ken fortune, but well worth it. But now I have another question. Can I still use the CC app if I need to, now the air can/internals etc have been changed? It used to take 210-215psi to set sag, now it's 245! Any thoughts? Cheers!

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hey guys! So I finally robbed a few banks (and took JT's advice) and sent this fu@ken shock up to NS Dynamics for an upgrade. Wowee, what a difference! It's like a completely different bike. Like riding a cloud. Apparently, because of my mud guts, it was taking too much PSI to keep the shock at the top, and therefore making it chattery/un rideable with the small bump. Cost me a fu@ken fortune, but well worth it. But now I have another question. Can I still use the CC app if I need to, now the air can/internals etc have been changed? It used to take 210-215psi to set sag, now it's 245! Any thoughts? Cheers!
How does the app work? I used to just set my CCDBA sag visually with the o-ring on the shaft as a guide. It can be time consuming with all the on/off/on/off but you get there.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
How does the app work? I used to just set my CCDBA sag visually with the o-ring on the shaft as a guide. It can be time consuming with all the on/off/on/off but you get there.
Yeah, the sag wasn't an issue, it was the tuning. It asks you how it's riding, then gives setting suggestions to remedy the problem. Massive pain in the arse, as it wants you to ride the same section over and over, then come back and use the app for setting changes.