Cannondale Jekyll vs Trek Remedy

jawry

Likes Dirt
G'day All,

Its new bike time and these are the two i'm currently considering. '18/'19 Jekyll 2 27.5 and '19 Trek Remedy 9.8

Bit of background - last three bikes (from latest to oldest) Transition Covert 27.5 (160 front and rear), Santa Cruz Heckler 26 (150/150) and Cannondale prophet 26 (140/140).

The next bike will need to be able to comfortably handle the 2 - 3 hour weekend blast around Gap Creek, Bunyaville and the occasional big k's day at Hiddenvale etc - but the true love lies with the days at Boomerang Farm, shuttling Toowoomba and Clear etc etc.

I'm no spring chicken at 54 and don't hit the really big stuff (yet?)- but the downs are what i love.

So - i know the Remedy will handle the 2-3 trail rides and i know the jeklyll will love Boomerang, etc.

What about the other way around?

Any thoughts or advice??

Cheers, iain

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
New Jekyll is a pig, no nice way to put it. With so many options out there, there's no room for stuff like the above. The remedy would be my pick

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've the MY17 Remedy 9.8, it's a decent bike out of the box but I needed to update certain aspects to really love it.

The new one you're looking at with steeper STA and carbon wheels plus the Lyrik fork is a winner.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love the look of the Remedy but for riding, gap, bunya, and hiddenvale have you thought about the Fuel? The Remedy has become a lot more downhill focus the last couple of years and I just think the Fuel would be more suited to riding those places.

jawry

Likes Dirt
I love the look of the Remedy but for riding, gap, bunya, and hiddenvale have you thought about the Fuel? The Remedy has become a lot more downhill focus the last couple of years and I just think the Fuel would be more suited to riding those places.
Hi Mas,

Downhill performance is more important - happy to give up a bit of XC/trail performance. Remedy would probs suit better. The Tranny (more travel) is absolutely fine on the big days at Hiddenvale etc

jawry

Likes Dirt
New Jekyll is a pig, no nice way to put it. With so many options out there, there's no room for stuff like the above. The remedy would be my pick
Hi Sethius,

Thanks for the reply. Most reviews (always trust the internet :) ) suggests the Jekyll is ok as a trail bike in hustle 130mm mode. Is that not your experience riding the Jekyll? Be interested in your real world experience. Thanks, Iain

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Hi Sethius,

Thanks for the reply. Most reviews (always trust the internet :) ) suggests the Jekyll is ok as a trail bike in hustle 130mm mode. Is that not your experience riding the Jekyll? Be interested in your real world experience. Thanks, Iain
Was at its first launch in private trade show, even they were honest it needed a generation or 2 to shave the pounds. And no big bike needs it's COG that high or forward, the new shock works well, but Scott's twin loc ended up being more useful. The genius and ransom sadly puts the Jekyll to sleep..I'm all for their dh bike rig though! They just need to do a gemini/judge with asymmetric rear end and flip chips, they can do dope alloy work so get back to it. If the media say it's "OK" then it must be pretty poor..

jawry

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

FYI - got a killer deal on a 2019 Jekyll 1 (27.5) - the all carbon version. A brilliant tangerine/burnt orange colour.

4 rides in and this bike feels so intuitive - can not wait to really get her measure as I become more familiar with the more modern geometry.

Doing Derby in a few weeks time - will have her dialled by then I hope.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

FYI - got a killer deal on a 2019 Jekyll 1 (27.5) - the all carbon version. A brilliant tangerine/burnt orange colour.

4 rides in and this bike feels so intuitive - can not wait to really get her measure as I become more familiar with the more modern geometry.

Doing Derby in a few weeks time - will have her dialled by then I hope.
Start a post your ride with pics and details!
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?forums/post-your-ride.19/