Canyon Spectral - creaking headset

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
I'm going to assume the squeeky wheel got some grease as there's been silence for a while, as is normally the case with internet feedback.
I've got some feedback for you,

Canyon(Australia) has still far denied an issue with the headset but have sent me out a plastic sleeve, apparently its "extra protection".

Myself and a few others with this issue have bought a Ritchey 1.5" Upper intergrated headset bearing and IS52/40 bottom bearing. The issue is 100% with the compression ring and not locking on to the steerer tube when torqued corrently. The plastic sleeve is 1mm thick and sits between the compression ring and steerer tube.... so they definately know its an issue with the spectral but fail to acknoledge it as it has already created a 1mm depth groove on my steerer tube(half the circumference - fork side).

ChrisJC(op) had also received this plastic sleeve and he helped me out with the info)

If any other spectral owners want anymore info please feel free to DM me and ill be happy to help with what parts you will need. I will be joining the OP and not posting any further updates in here.

*edited bottom bearing info

Attachments

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've got some feedback for you,

Canyon(Australia) has still far denied an issue with the headset but have sent me out a plastic sleeve, apparently its "extra protection".

Myself and a few others with this issue have bought a Ritchey 1.5" Upper intergrated headset bearing and IS52/40 bottom bearing. The issue is 100% with the compression ring and not locking on to the steerer tube when torqued corrently. The plastic sleeve is 1mm thick and sits between the compression ring and steerer tube.... so they definately know its an issue with the spectral but fail to acknoledge it as it has already created a 1mm depth groove on my steerer tube(half the circumference - fork side).

ChrisJC(op) had also received this plastic sleeve and he helped me out with the info)

*edited bottom bearing info
You got any pics of the groove in the steer, it doesn't sound like a good outcome at all?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Please take a better shot of the steerer. Any damage to the steerer has to be taken seriously.

To dig 1mm into the steerer tube, so a 2mm overall reduction in outer diameter, would take a wedge with no chamfer on the bottom edge. 2mm OD lost = Do not ride unless you want extensive dental work

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Tbh I've pulled it apart 6 times at the request of canyon to grease so I won't be pulling it apart anytime soon as I'm over it. Also its very difficult to take a photo of a small groove like that, it's something you have to feel.... show me how you would take a photo of a small little <1mm depth line with rub marks on a rough surface....
Its 1mm at max, could be less but I can feel a slight groove with my nail. Its only half of the circumference of steerer tube as originally stated so i dont see where you got the 2mm from.

I will be replying to serious concerns/questions ONLY.

You guys asked for feedback, there is obviously damage there and the reason is compression ring.
If it's a 1mm grove then it's a total loss of 2mm because of how circles work. If the above was how you spoke with Canyon then I'm less surprised at their lackluster response.

Seems like you have gotten everything you want out of this so maybe the mods should just lock the thread.

Haylex

Likes Dirt
I have about 750km of hitting rocks on mine since I changed to the cane creek top cap and metal spacers. Including 20k VM of descending at Thredbo in Jan. Its been silent the entire time.

Ill pull it apart shortly to inspect and post results, maybe tonight

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
I have about 750km of hitting rocks on mine since I changed to the cane creek top cap and metal spacers. Including 20k VM of descending at Thredbo in Jan. Its been silent the entire time.

Ill pull it apart shortly to inspect and post results, maybe tonight
Thats awsome news! The FB spectral group posted that was a recommended replacement. Maybe post up the exact type of bearings used so other people searching the forum for the same issue will have the info needed

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I've posted useful relevant info for the issue at hand, unlike both of your posts.

Why are you even posting in here? do you have a spectral or do you have this issue? or are you just looking to troll?
You have also been a bit of a d**ck to members who have been trying to help you by pointing out potential safety issues with you fork. Your clear lack of understanding of the fundamentals involved (when you take 1mm of material off a cylindrical object all the way around it totals 2mm) then attitude (with a post I see you have now removed, see my quoted post below)

If it's a 1mm grove then it's a total loss of 2mm because of how circles work. If the above was how you spoke with Canyon then I'm less surprised at their lackluster response.

Seems like you have gotten everything you want out of this so maybe the mods should just lock the thread.
Yeah I'm here for a bit of trolling and also pointing out someone being a bit of a d**ck to members.

Also didn't you say "I will be replying to serious concerns/questions ONLY" in your now deleted post so what are you doing talking to me?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
@Litenbror - Fixed, I think...
I'm having trouble following this with all the editing and deleting of posts going on. I think you're right if it's 1mm half way round then it's only 2mm if the ends meet on a straight line through the centre (I'm sure there is a technical term for that)

Also 1mm is a lot of material to loose, I'm with @link1896 and would be checking my dental coverage.

Edit: just measured my steer tube wall thickness and it's 2mm so there has potentially been half the material removed from one side. Do with that info what you will @Korbzy

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Thats awsome news! The FB spectral group posted that was a recommended replacement. Maybe post up the exact type of bearings used so other people searching the forum for the same issue will have the info needed

Im using the standard bearings. All I got rid of was the stock plastic top cap and spacers and replaced them with metal items - see first page of this thread.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
@Litenbror - Fixed, I think...
@beeb I believe it should actually be "Created a 1mm deep groove around half of the steerer tube and no groove on the back side which I haven't photographed so you can't see"

Notwithstanding whether the groove is half or all the way around, I think that the advice from members above is that it is a safety concern. I'm the wrong kind of engineer to advise on that.

@Korbzy people are just trying to help so be patient.