Canyon spectral Fork upgrades, vorsprung laftkappe or SD DVC Components?

Misfitdave

Likes Bikes
Ive got a canyon spectral ex7 2015 and I love it. Had it for almost 2 years now and am considering upgrades from stock, though I do have offset bushings which have slacken the head angle. Great!

Want to extend my pike 150 forks to I60mm and add either vorsprung or the Sd Dvc. Looking for more plush and mid stroke support.

Vorsprung say on there site that you won’t get full travel from 160 forks, last 5-10mm harder to access due to the pneumatic top out. Which I’m okay about. It’s also relatively cheap compared to ...

The Sd Dvc. Which seems great and simple to install. Not found many user reviews on this one. But really interested.

Do they do the same thing?
Any info or experience appreciated.

I’m also planning other upgrades.
Cc coil inline shock. 190x50 should fit right? Anyone running that and how does it feel?

Carbon handlebars eastern haven

Wheels! With 30id, like flows mk3 or dt’s 1501 spline 2, or even raceface turbine r seem great.

I ride trails all sorts. Ride up slowly to enjoy the downs. Do ride Dh gnarly stuff too but do it in a safe fun way. Got two young kids! In the Uk at the moment and my local is Danny Hart’s descend bike park. Should get a cheap proper dh bike for it but would rather upgrade the spectral.

Cheers David.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The luftkappe and DVC are different products that aim to roughly give you the same outcome, more supple travel off the top and better midstroke support. The luftkappe is fairly simple, it increases your negative chamber volume and at the same time reduces the positive chamber. The DVC is much more complex but gives a similar characteristic by spliting your positive chamber into two, a high and low pressure chamber. The initial stroke is then a much smaller positive chamber with a negative chamber the same size as the stock fork. This also gives a nice supple start stroke but being able to tune the pressure in both chambers you can alter how linear or progressive the spring is infinitely. The SD components site gives a good run down. Have a look at reviews for the manitou IRT for dorado and mattoc forks, they both achieve the same thing for the spring rates.

https://www.sdcomponents.com.au/dynamic-volume-chamber

Misfitdave

Likes Bikes
Thanks shmity, yes had a good look at the sd site and it does seem more tune able than the laftkappe. Have you used one before? I’ll take a look at the manitou irt.

If they both have the desired effect supple beginning stroke and better mid support it would seem the laftkappe is a cheaper option.

Cheers

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks shmity, yes had a good look at the sd site and it does seem more tune able than the laftkappe. Have you used one before? I’ll take a look at the manitou irt.

If they both have the desired effect supple beginning stroke and better mid support it would seem the laftkappe is a cheaper option.

Cheers
The luftkappe is cheaper because its set and forget, it either works for you or it doesn't, this can come down to amount of travel, rider weight style etc etc. The SD DVC offers the opportunity to tune to your specific use case. I have an IRT in both my dorado and mattoc and I can honestly say its the biggest improvement to an airspring you can get. It would be a false economy to look at the luftkappe as a cheaper option to the DVC, they both aim to improve your spring rate in similar ways but they're certainly not the same product.

Misfitdave

Likes Bikes
I see what your saying, thanks for explaining that. With riding between Dh and trail stuff, It’ll be great to be able to tune the fork for specific ride days like Dh or regular trails.

I’ll have to have a honest think about how I ride and what will work best. Thanks again.