Cape town mtb

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
I have a paid holiday trip coming up in June to cape town
Does anyone have any experience with riding over there ?
Is it safe to bring your own bike ?
If i do decide to ride i will most likely go on a guided tour. But is it worth the effort to bring your own bike or do any sort of riding over there

Cheers
Mario

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've go no riding experience but it looked a great place to ride (I was there in 2010) all the trails I've seen on line look pretty good. I'd take my bike if it was insured ;) I'm sure you'd be able to hire a decent bike if it was a day or two more than that I'd bring my own.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Cape Town has awesome trails! I did a little thread on them when I was there a few years back. Hire options are good though, and travel with a bike plus security would need to be well thought out, so unless you are spending weeks there I'd just go the easy route and pick one up in country.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heaps of great trails around Cape Town. Wellington, Jonkershoek Stellenbosch, Tokai - too many to mention. Security is fine if you are sensible - do not leave bike in the car, anywhere out of sight, locked on the street etc.

Cape Town is amazing, you'll love it. I lived there (quite a long time ago now) and have been back a couple of times since so feel free to ask any questions.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I lived there for a few years - well in Stellenbosch. This was a few years ago now, so there might be new trails etc. But my tips would be the following 3 which are near to CT. There is so much more, but depending on your time and transport options, these will get you going:

1. Jonkershoek - amazing place to ride, fantastic selection of trails. Talk to these guys for hire and tips: https://ridein.co.za/

2. Stellenbosch itself - Coetzenberg was recently done up for the world cup XCO - its a fun course and has some really great features. You can also link up to the infamous G-spot trail (youtube it), and Paradayskloof/Eden which I think now extends out pretty far (might need a guide) chat these guys: http://bmtsa.co.za/bmt-tours-trails/ about Stellenbosch rides and tours.

Also Dirtopia (just outside Stellies) has some good trails and hire I believe https://www.dirtopia.co.za/

3. Contermanskloof/Tygerberg - closer to Cape Town - https://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/contermanskloof/

Day trips to Wellington, Elgin, Greyton, Paarl etc can also reap rewards too! Tokai/Table Mountain trails I never got to, it burnt down while I was there, pretty sure its rebuilt though.

Safety is generally fine in all those places - once you are in them. I rode mostly alone in all those places. But leaving bike visible and unattended is asking for trouble.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tokai is back. Just remembered the trails I rode in Wellington - Welvanpas trails. They were seriously good. Also just over the pass is Baines Kloof, just a beautiful spot.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I rode the Table Mountain trails, but it was about 12 years ago and memories are hazy. I did have fun though, and table mountain and Cape Town in general are just stunning. The most picturesque city I've visited.

The dangers of SA are often exaggerated. Shit happens of course, but largely you'll be in a car and you wouldn't leave your bike unattended in many places in Oz either. I wandered around Cape Town on my own plenty of times without feeling unsafe.

Jo'burg is a little rougher, but again, after a few days with the locals you'll forget about it.

Africa is bloody amazing, make the most of it. while you're there.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
thanks fellas. Looks like I'll be taking my bike along then .
Any idea where they filmed this
?
I ride a tallboy too :) but don't ride like Greg

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think that's from the 2016 Epic (which I did but got sick on the 2nd stage - boo)
I think that's probably a bit of a highlights package of the whole event but pretty sure at least some of it would be Welvanpas. I think the steep descent Greg on the video still is probably Tulbagh near Cederberg, I puked my way up there before pulling out at the aid station.

Just reminded me - most if not all trails in the Cape operate on a permit system of some sort. Most are on private land and will be $2-$5 for a day permit.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
So the guide I hired took me out for a day ride around Stellenbosch.
Really stunning area, the ride was 60KM with about 1250m of vertical climb a mix of firetrail and singletracks.

I took my gopro to document the ride, and was fortunate enough to see wild oryx and eland at one section of the trail.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Most parts are amazing ! cape town is very unique and one of the most beautiful places I've been.
The city is a bit unsafe however got mugged on the first day we were out :)
Isn't it just stunning?

And shit on the mugging, there you go disproving my advice earlier in the thread! Hope you didn't lose anything too valuable.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Isn't it just stunning?

And shit on the mugging, there you go disproving my advice earlier in the thread! Hope you didn't lose anything too valuable.
haha it wasn't too bad, the first note I pulled out of my wallet was $10 aussie note, gave him that and he walked away.
I felt safe around the waterfront area, but the main CBD area of cape town reminds me of scenes from the walking dead :)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
So the guide I hired took me out for a day ride around Stellenbosch.
Really stunning area, the ride was 60KM with about 1250m of vertical climb a mix of firetrail and singletracks.

I took my gopro to document the ride, and was fortunate enough to see wild oryx and eland at one section of the trail.

Awesome that you rode Stellies! Nice loop, making me very jealous! Looks like he took you across towards Simonsberg to? That whole place gets you fit pretty fast!

Good to see a bit of water back in Eerst river, crossing looked deeper than usual.

Those oryx (gemsbok) and eland must be on someone's reserve though - don't think they are running totally wild around there?

Sorry to hear about the mugging, but sounds like it wasn't a total disaster.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Did you walk up to Bo Kaap?
No, that was one of the areas we didn't get around to visit, we did go past it on the hop on/off bus. Favourite route of the bus was along the coastline from Hout Bay, a bit like great ocean road.

Awesome that you rode Stellies! Nice loop, making me very jealous! Looks like he took you across towards Simonsberg to? That whole place gets you fit pretty fast!

Good to see a bit of water back in Eerst river, crossing looked deeper than usual.

Those oryx (gemsbok) and eland must be on someone's reserve though - don't think they are running totally wild around there?

Sorry to hear about the mugging, but sounds like it wasn't a total disaster.
I think it was a reserve... we started the ride at Stellenbosch, had lunch at Boschendal and then ride back to Stellenbosch.
Getting fit, for sure ! the climbs were long though not very steep, with very few short descents in between.
Can't imagine myself doing the cape epic anytime soon :)

Last edited: