Capital Punishment 2012

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
(her first, I'm nervous as hell after convincing her to give it a go...........)
However, Gentlemen out there, what should I do, go for personal glory? Or be the good one and guide the missus to the end?
If you are as nervous as you say you are then there is probably good reason for you to give her plenty of support and guide her to the end. Hopefully this way she will enjoy it and come back for another... then all you have to worry about is her beating you at the next one.

Me and the missus are in for the 100k (her first, I'm nervous as hell after convincing her to give it a go...........) and her friend is in for the 50 (after completing it last year).

Seriously I can't wait, I did it this year in a record time for me in a 100k finishing in just over 6 hours (that's by my watch including the untimed section) I'd like to have a crack at under 6 hours.

Lets hope the weather Gods are smiling on us again this year!

However, Gentlemen out there, what should I do, go for personal glory? Or be the good one and guide the missus to the end?
This sounds almost like the position my better half and I were in this year...We'd both done some 50kers, but it was our first 100 :whoo: We started the ride together as per usual...but then I "lost her" at the 10km mark...woops. If you ask her the only thing that got her across the line was her anger with me for having ridden off :friendly_wink:

There is always 2013 for personal glory. And riding together gives you a riding buddy, and probably some brownie points too.

ps. not sure if I will be getting the other half over the line for the 2012 CP 100k. Hmmm.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Just entered the 50km option for this. It'll be my second race with the first being the Half-Fling, and am already pumped. Looking at the course profile, there's definitely a sting at the end as someone mentioned. I've ridden Stromlo once or twice before and found it enjoyable. Does anyone know the tracks the 50km course takes while there? is it primarily single track once within the park?

I've managed to rope in my better half to do the drop-off/pick-up duties, with compensation being a trip to a winery on the way back up to Sydney on Sunday.. tough life hey? :)

I believe it is XC loop 2 for 50km riders (check stromlo website for map)

if thats correct then yeah it is up cockatoo switchbacks/bobby pin climb/abc switchbacks and down western wedgetail/skyline/luge
i think the 100km goes left at some point out to the western side, might be pork barrel/slick rock etc.

I only started mtbing 3 months ago, have entered the 50km race and am getting pumped for it - should be a good test of fitness and skill.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Postponed - seems like a good idea.

Although it does prove me wrong because I commented the other day "nah, it's too big an event, they will never postpone it"

AROC said:
Capital Punishment MTB Enduro 2012

Hi Tim

Rain, rain and more rain......

The Good News:
We have a great new route through the Defence land. For those who have done the event previously the long, tiring, horrible section through the paddocks has gone. For those new to the race - you will be pleased you'll never have to experience it!

Instead we have a more direct route on the main trail through the Majura Military Training Area - many thanks to the guys out there and the Defence personnel who have helped to make this happen. This also means more space for more single track and the ability to bring in Sparrow Hill for 2013 once the new section of Kings Highway is opened.

The Bad News:
ACT and parts of NSW have had HUGE rainfall totals since last Wednesday. The forecast is for more rain next week. Consequently, we have made an early decision to postpone the Capital Punishment MTB Enduro.

Currently the Molonglo River Bridge is impassable due to huge piles of trees from flood debris and will be closed at least until the end of March. Much of Kowen Forest is now a lake, Majura Pines is boggy to say the least and Mt Stromlo mountain bike tracks are closed until next Tuesday 13 March. All events within Canberra Nature Parks and Forests prior to next Tuesday have been cancelled. The closure status will be reviewed next Tuesday. With the forecast for continuing rain next week it is unlikely that the mud and new ponds and rivers throughout the course will have any chance of drying significantly even if areas are reopened for events. There is a significant chance that these large sections of the course will remain closed into next week and for the event day. The decision to close areas by the relevant land holders is not taken lightly and is extremely rare. We have worked closely with all landholders and they have done, and are doing, everything possible to make this and all events able to take place. However in this instance the environmental damage that would be caused and the large chance of unsafe sections of tracks have made the restrictions absolutely necessary.

We have deliberated over the best course of action since the heavy rain was forecast last week. Our decision is, to announce as early as possible, to postpone the event rather than have the high probability of cancelling on the day, or causing extensive track damage and damage to your bike. We also want you to experience this great course in as good a shape as possible rather than the current poor condition. We hope this gives you enough time to alter your plans.

We are looking at a new date in late April and hope to have this confirmed in the next day or so. If we are able to secure this date in April with land holders, other event clashes etc, the Crowne Plaza has indicated that those people that have booked with them will be able to transfer their accommodation to the new date.

Once we have confirmed the new date we will send another update. This will contain all information on the new refund policy, entry transfers etc.

Until then, Stay dry!
The AROC Team

Motorhead

Likes Bikes
It's a shame but it was the right call, even if the rain stopped now which it wont the ground wouldn't be up to that many bikes going through & I'd rather it canned now then the day before.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Was a little disappointed to hear the news, but secretly i'm kind of glad it gives me a bit more time for training. I'm hoping that up to the April date we actually get some decent weather in/around Sydney so that I can actually do the race justice!

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Trust me its the right call. Strommers is closed until Tuesday, Majura is closed for I don't know how long. All the rivers here are still flowing fast, just under flooding & the ground is so wet its not funny.

I have two different commutes on Monday & Tuesday. Monday I ride from home, 30k each way & there are massive puddles & areas where water is still running over the bike paths from the edge. On Tuesday its only 20km each way but yesterday the first 5km of paths were wet just from ground soaking.

With any luck March will dry up a bit & they can get the tracks together.

B.J.

Likes Bikes
The only weekend I'm available in April is 28/29 April, so hopefully it will be rescheduled to then!

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most likely it will be
there is the rte gp at awaba and the tathra marathon on the 21/22nd they have said they want to avoid clashes with other events and have said late April. Hmm will be interesting how i back up for Dirtworks a week later if it is the 29th

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
I was very happy to read this race had been postponed as I'm not in the best shape at the moment and another 5 weeks will be great for more training and recovering from a cold.

See you in April.

Spudatm, with a week off between the two events I reckon you'll be on fire for the DW100, some nice gentle rides mid week and you set a best time.

crowash

Likes Dirt
I understand the decision but I'm seriously disappointed this was my lead up to the convict 100 and I've been making a lot of 5 am training sessions happen to be fit enough. Also I can't make a late April race and according to their current description on the website they won't be making any refunds. Sorry just whinging!

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
After the rain stopped on Sunday I thought Tuesday would give the trails at Kowen some draining and drying time. Plus the cabin fever of the last week made me keen as for a ride.

Firstly I was wrong and the trails are sodden and secondly about half way around the 10km loop the skys opened and the trails are now drenched again.

Good call AROC I felt guilt enough about the trail damage I did yesterday riding as conservatively as possible, let alone what hundreds of people racing over the trails will do to them. To much hard work has gone into Canberra's trails for it to be undone by a single event.

Makes we wonder though what will happen with the Mont if we dont get some sun in the next 2 weeks.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[QUOTE Spudatm, with a week off between the two events I reckon you'll be on fire for the DW100, some nice gentle rides mid week and you set a best time.[/QUOTE]

I hope your right but maybe minus the mid week ride. If the date is the 29th my plan will be something like finnish cp staurday wash the bike sunday don't look at the bike again untill Im on the start line the saturday after. As much as that is going to be a killer 7 days. i at least have a bonus 6 weeks training time.

Great call AROC. I and my drivetrain thank you although the LBS is annoyed because i won't be ducking in to buy those mud tyres this weekend.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Spudatm, with a week off between the two events I reckon you'll be on fire for the DW100, some nice gentle rides mid week and you set a best time.
I hope your right but maybe minus the mid week ride. If the date is the 29th my plan will be something like finnish cp staurday wash the bike sunday don't look at the bike again untill Im on the start line the saturday after. As much as that is going to be a killer 7 days. i at least have a bonus 6 weeks training time.

Great call AROC. I and my drivetrain thank you although the LBS is annoyed because i won't be ducking in to buy those mud tyres this weekend.
I actually think the light ride in the following week is good for the legs - it keeps them moving and helps you recover quicker.

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
Most likely it will be
there is the rte gp at awaba and the tathra marathon on the 21/22nd they have said they want to avoid clashes with other events and have said late April. Hmm will be interesting how i back up for Dirtworks a week later if it is the 29th
28th is Round 1 of SRAM Singletrack Mind series... not just us but the MTB club at Orange will be pretty unhappy if it's rescheduled to that date. I doubt that Max Adventure would be happy with that date either and it puts 3 rounds of the XCM series on 3 consecutive weekends, very tough for those going for the overall title.

hipdos

Likes Bikes
28th is Round 1 of SRAM Singletrack Mind series... not just us but the MTB club at Orange will be pretty unhappy if it's rescheduled to that date. I doubt that Max Adventure would be happy with that date either and it puts 3 rounds of the XCM series on 3 consecutive weekends, very tough for those going for the overall title.
What date would you suggest Pants? It's going to have to be rescheduled, too many people look forward to this each year..