Capital Punishment 2012

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
STOP PRESS Correction...!

Canbaroo where did the 100km course enter Majura?
See you all on the track on Saturday, good luck to you all.
The 'new' track [for the 100k] from Kowen over Sutton Road through the Defence land is a nice easy FT XC cruise and enters Majura Pines on the lower side off Majura Rd....... very sweet! Eliminates that shitty grind and pinch up the saddle between Mt Ainslie and Little Majura... been training on and nailing it for the past 12 months in anticipation of 2012 CP.....and i've hated every metre of it, what a f#$@!!** of wasted effort!:distrust:

XXOO to CORC I love urs all

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Results anyone?
That'd be a bit of a record if they were up now wouldn't it?

Result for me: steel hard tail beat me up (with stiff thomson post), stromlo descent never hurt so much, but a great day on a great course. My desire for a nice compliant carbon hard tail was confirmed:).

Well done AROC!!

bt100

Likes Dirt
That'd be a bit of a record if they were up now wouldn't it?

Result for me: steel hard tail beat me up (with stiff thomson post), stromlo descent never hurt so much, but a great day on a great course. My desire for a nice compliant carbon hard tail was confirmed:).

Well done AROC!!
I was on a Carbon HT 29er and my desire for a FS 29er was confirmed :)

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
My carbon ht 29er was a gem for the 50km race except for blowing the tueless
on the rear and then flating my only tube 500m later. Thanks 2912 for allowing me to actually finish the race with a tube it sure beating running down luge like I had to for skyline.

29er dominated the fire roads. Pass at will was great

Congo line in majura was a bit of a joke.

Not keen to see results after 20 minutes worth of stops.

Last edited:

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
treat that as motivation to get faster next year so you are ahead of the conga line :)
Didnt back myself enough and started in the last 20%. Caught people 3 and 4 waves ahead before Majura.

I don't think I'll do the 50km version again not lot of actual mountain biking just 10kms each end and a heap of transit.

Something like Kowalski sideshow sounds far more up my alley

gassyndrome

Likes Bikes
Didnt back myself enough and started in the last 20%. Caught people 3 and 4 waves ahead before Majura.
Same for me. There was people who couldn't take the three foot wide bridge or a number of tiny gullies. A bunch of people were shagged on the first fire trail!

Just glad I got a completely clean run from the shipping container all the way thru the finish at Stromlo. An awesome finish to a great day out.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Trust your training and back your instincts. At the Wombat50 there were 3 groups:
* Group 1 - sub 2:45
* Group 2 - 2:45 - 3:15
* Group 3 - over 3:15

I estimated I would be on the cusp of 2:45 (based on Kona results + general training and 'feel') so was a bit "up in the air". In the end I just thought "f*** it" and lined up in the middle of Group 1. I looked around saw a few riders who I knew were not sub 2:45 standard. You just gotta get out in front of them and stay out in front :)

Was glad I did go out in the front group as I got a literally got a run free from traffic, but at the same time I didn't slow anyone down.

Turns out only 29 people (including me) did a sub 2:45 time so glad I made the call to go in the fast group - it prolly made me go quicker too :)

J3$$3

Likes Dirt
I was much the same, I rode with a purple plate (60-70%) and had caught onto the back of the yellow plates (40-50%) by the end of Black mountain... And it was my first year racing the cap... and I was slack and had no training since the mont :p All in all, legs a bit stiff, was fun as though!!! :very_drunk:

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
A great day out

In the 100km, I started in the 50-60% group, the pace was pretty frenetic for the first hour, met the back markers from the previous group about 7km in. In all I recon I passed more than 100 in the day, and was passed by less than 20. Some of these guys were earlier groups with mechanicals (bummer).

My race time will end up around 5:30 which is OK for an old fart.

The uphill firetrail sections between the single track resolved recalcitrant passing issues. The strategy from the Mont - pass one and sprint to the next, sit for a while recovering, pass another, sprint to the next... was all good - a couple of times, guys would let you pass when I needed to recover :mmph:

For a 100km, the mix of the single track and fire trail was just right for me, and the last 12km around Stromlo was perfect - serious arm pump on the way down :)

In all, a fantastic day out - one of the best days on a mountain bike ever!

- carpetrunner

Cripp

Squid
1st Timer

Did this ride for the first time yesterday. Great day out! I probably underestimated my fitness in the 60-70% start wave for the 50km's. Found Majura a bit frustrating but will be doing the event again just for the run down Stromlo to the finish... Awesome!

Cripp

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I was on a 26inch aluminium hardtail and my ongoing requirement for paracetamol/ibuprofen is confirmed......

Great race though, I had a blast!

The weather was fantastic, may it really fun blasting through the foggy pine forest in the morning and finishing in the sunshine.

The last climb up Stromlo really hurt, but it made the descent even sweeter all the way home!

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tried to sell my ticket at the last minute due to not being finished with my injury recovery but ended up doing the 50km again.
Pretty glad I did as I had a nice race.
Started off at the back of Group 2 and once I passed most of the group on the fire road had a nice cruise through Majura with a few others. Not much traffic.
Ended up riding from Majura to the untimed section nearly alone. Caught up with a few others through the untimed section. They kept going through Black Mountain where I stopped for a break.
Black mountain riding with some legend on a singlespeed hardtail.
Rode through the Arboretum on the back of a couple of older blokes who were pinning it roadie style.
Cruised up Stromlo where the fella on the singlespeed hardtail passed me and schooled me on the descent, RESPECT!
Garmin said 2:31 for the whole course, not sure how that works out with the untimed section.
http://app.strava.com/rides/7478039

Event centre was pretty quiet so I rode back to O'connell. Ended up riding back againt people who were still coming in, couple of people seemed a bit shattered that I had finished and was going home haha.
Same thing when I passed the untimed section where the 100km riders were still going. I cheered a few on!

Only gripe: White socks in the entry pack. I know it's a personal preference but white socks aren't cool for MTB.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
props to the guy dressed as Batman in the untimed section. made us laugh.
Which reminds me of the young bloke wearing some sort of heavy flanno in the 100km. We had a bit of a laugh as we rode into sparrow about the latest in technical cycling wear, swore he wasn't too hot. I then saw him on and off throughout, still with flanno... til he finally crossed line after me STILL in the flanno. He looked shattered. Some sort of dare? I guess he can say he did it...

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
My first marathon and I had a great time. Ive been wanting to do this event since i first got into MTB and after 2 years (and an excellent change of date!). I'm not the best technical rider so I found the first section to the 38km mark a bit arduous. The middle section between there and Majura Vineyard was great (must have been the high dose of buns and bananas!) and was feeling great all the way to Black Mountain... which shattered me! Those low gear pinch climbs sucked the energy out of me and was very happy to see the back of it.

The climb up stromlo just kept going and going but was very happy to come back down again.

If the date is the same next year I'll most certainly be back.

Hope the guy who stacked it at Black Mountain is a-ok. Despite being bandaged up he seemed to be smiling (which may have been concussion!)

Pretty bummed about the lack of results :( Does anyone know what the problem was?