Capital Punishment is GO

ladytoast

Likes Bikes
After the debacle of the Dirt Works photos this year (see the DW thread for info) I have a new found appreciation for Aurora and their dedication Saturday was phenomenal. It was bad enough riding in those condition but those guys sat in places like the Majura quagmire for hours making sure we have the shots to remember the day!
I agree, they were everywhere. Top effort to them and all of the marshals, and happy spectators at the side of the trail. At least we were moving to keep us warm, I made a point to thank everyone one of them I saw.

ming

Likes Bikes
For me, one big reason to participate in MTB races is to push myself to do things I would normally not do.

Would I go on a social ride when the forecast was to rain all day, in May? - no.
Would I go on a social ride through Kowen when it had rained for several days? - no.
Would I ride up Stromlo when I was completely exhausted and had already ridden for longer than planned? no.
Would I keep riding on horrible slippery horse paths if I could go around? - no.

I did all of these things on Saturday, and am happy I did.
Some of the muddiest tracks were the most fun. It is kind of liberating to aim straight for the puddles because that is the safest and fastest line (and you can't get any dirtier anyway).
Going down the super slippery new track in Kowen, realising that using the brakes was going to be instant accident, so simply letting the bike follow the track down - and making it!! Fantastic fun.
I now have a better idea of what my body can do, and what my bike can do.

As said by many others, thanks to everyone for making the day happen.

Ming

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I agree, they were everywhere. Top effort to them and all of the marshals, and happy spectators at the side of the trail. At least we were moving to keep us warm, I made a point to thank everyone one of them I saw.
Me too.

The more I think about environmental issues I don't think there really are any, are there? They're state forests which will eventually be logged and as they were artificially created from the start they contain no natural heritage or significance. The logging will have a far greater impact that a few nuts riding in the rain :D

nayto

Likes Bikes
Just had the chance to fully go over my bike for any repairs needed. Im up for a new chain, possible middle chainring, new bb, good lube all over and new brake pads front and rear. I fitted brand new front pads the day before the race! Was it worth it for the couple hundred bucks in parts.......YES:D
Them photos on Damiens site are awesome!

scbullit

Likes Dirt
Gotta love living next to Stromlo

Just got back from a quick lap of the Stromlo trails used in the race and can report that there was minimal damage, and in fact were in great shape with "hero" grip!

Just a couple of puddles on "the Luge"

Darren was already out there doing some track work as well.

Congratulations to everybody who finished in seriously tough conditions. I'm glad I wasn't entered.

We hosted some Sydney siders for the event, and they all said it was the toughest thing they had done!

And my bike hardly got dirty... (see pic)

Attachments

Last edited:

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would I go on a social ride when the forecast was to rain all day, in May? - no.
It's funny how your perspective gets wierd too. I drove past the golf course on sunday and there were some die hards playing in the rain. I caught myself thinking "screw that, they must be miserable"......then remembered what I had done for 8+ hrs the day before. :p

BMCFatboy

Likes Bikes
Adventure Plus

What an adventure that was! It took more than just fitness to complete that course. I'm sure there weren't too many riders who didn't have to dig deep and deal with some demons.

Would love red racer to tell his story as I'm sure those at the pointy end also had their fair share of crashes and mechanicals to deal with.

The highlight for me was watching the late starting Yeti boys fly by on the fast downhill before we entered the single track at 3.5km. It looked like Perren sitting on his outside pedal while leaning the bike into the corner at 60km/h while the rest of us were braking and timidly cornering at 20km/h.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Would love red racer to tell his story as I'm sure those at the pointy end also had their fair share of crashes and mechanicals to deal with.
I just had a stupid flat to change 10km in. I hate changing flats let alone one with mud everywhere. I just had to stay in the big ring for the last part of the race to avoid chainsuck, cheap XX! or maybe I should have lubed the bike before the race?

I found being towards the front was fine through Kowen, majura was destroyed by the 50km riders. I dont think it really could have got any worse after I went through?

I managed to ride through most of the mr whippy section before stromlo but Im sure it would have been quicker running!

I didn't see any real stacks, just thanks to the guy who almost lost it big time when I was fixing my flat and sprayed me with slop, you scumbag! :p

I imagine I was like anyone that competed the race with already half used pads and rode the last 20km on the backing plates...

I actually didn't mind the race too much, the lumpy grass sections weren't that exciting but I cant wait to race everything else in the dry.

Just a pity about the size of the presentation hall, and I already knew there was't any money on for the elite as this event would of cost a mint to run!

My highlight was seeing Troy Glennan trying to stop without brakes. Amazing noise and no slowing at all!

Last edited:

BMCFatboy

Likes Bikes
I imagine I was like anyone that competed the race with already half used pads and rode the last 20km on the backing plates...
I seem to have found the ultimate wet weather brakes having now done Del Rio in Feb then this event with levers as solid at the end as they were at the start of the race and pads with enough meat left to stay in the bike for a while. I'm using XTR calipers with FRM rotors and FRM metal pads.

The fact you had to deal with the same slush at Majura and near Stromlo as the rest of us makes your time even more amazing. Great work. I must have fallen a dozen times in Majura with my front wheel doing its own thing.

Cap

Likes Dirt
I just had to stay in the big ring for the last part of the race to avoid chainsuck, cheap XX! or maybe I should have lubed the bike before the race?
Rode with a full XX groupo and had the exact same problem. Coincidence maybe? Also, the organic compond pads for them lasted about 5 seconds on the rear. Rode the whole race with no rear brake. Was great fun though, just wish it was on someone elses bike.

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
Did you pull out after 500m? You're legs are not nearly dirty enough!!!!
the mud had dried a nice skin colour hue - dirt begets dirt - after my shower, I had to clean the shower.

I am still cleaning stuff from the weekend. I don't think my camalback will ever be black again!

I wanted to write and say thanks to all the tail-end 50km riders I passed. From the end of the untimed section there were a steady stream of them, and going up through the pre-Stromlo sludge and then up the mountain itself, I have never felt so much support and encouragement. I was able to ride it all and everyone was whooping and hollering, and it really helped. I really wanted to call out those guys - inevitably, they were the ones with the least appropriate kit, the heavier bikes, and least training, yet most of them were smiling and happy.

Thanks a million - you guys (and the fantastic marshals) pushed me on to a great result. I was done in about 5hrs, and I say 'chapeau' to all those still out there after 6 or 7 or even 8 hours - heros, and for mine, true mountainbikers.

Well done all. It will live with you forever!
I had a ball riding my first 50km event and Antsonline you'd have passed me alog the way.

Our 'race' began in the last group of starters, with one of our group in the portaloo and the starters rushing us along so they could pack up the timing mats. So we were well and truly last to start.

Throughout the day we met groups other riders that we talked to when we met up at our many rest stops like the father and daughter who finished the 50km and two young ladies riding Canberra's trails for the first time and hollering joy when they hit singletrack in Majura.

It was at the end of the untimed section that the first of the 100km riders started to arrive.
A few of us had a chat with one elite we saw as we all rested out our full 30 mins of the untimed section. I think I said something like "Geez mate, you're doing alright, you'd be running third on the road at the moment". It was little later at the feed stop one young lady was chirping on about riding 1km with Jason English during the untimed section. "What? Not, that guy we were talking too at the timing mat"? "Yep that's him" she says. :eek:

It was a pleasure to be passed by the 100km riders, a 'thanks mate' or words of encouragement the norm. I did get to finish the race, despite failing rear brakes. Antsonline you are right, it will live with me forever.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Results seems to have been updated, a lot more riders on there now. Also not listing people as "short coursed" any more so I'm not sure if they are now listed as "withdrawn"??... bit unfair if they are - I would prefer to see them listed with finishing times and "short coursed" because they damn well deserve a result!

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
I had two mates that were short coursed, they've now disappeared!! Can't find them on the search. I wonder if they're still updating....