Car Chat....

Frandy

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
Just wondering if chat about your cars/first cars :)
Im only 15, but im lookin into purchasing a 1997 Holden VS Executive 5lt V8 :) Manual of course :D I want it in black with VZ Monaro rims :) What you guyus own/looking into buying :p

Cheers
Francis

Last edited:

-Jordan-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,
Just wondering if you would post sum pics of ur cars/first cars :)
Im only 15, but im lookin into purchasing a 1997 Holden VS Executive 5lt V8 :) Manual of course :D I want it in black with VZ Monaro rims :) What you guyus own/looking into buying :p

Cheers
Francis
Hmm.. good luck with that.

With the new laws coming in (next July I think?) you won't be able to own a V8 until you are 25. And even if you could... did you think about the fuel?

Frandy

Likes Dirt
so those new laws cummin in July?? Bugger :p Then ill just get the V6 and put a 3inch exhaust on it:p

So what u guys own??

CHeerss

Robb

Likes Dirt
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=47127&highlight=cars

Has already been done but in post your ride..

Good luck with the V8. Will cost you a fortune to run very soon, and dont they only make 190kw or so of power? A V6/straight 6 will do that these days.

No V8's until you are 25? are you sure?
They allready have no V8s/turbo's when you are on your p plates, 25 seems to be a bit extereme. Not that I care, we do not have any restrictions in the ACT.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm fairly sure that those restrictions are in only in QLD..well, so i've heard.
I was pretty devostated to hear. Because i'm driving under the current P1 restrictions in NSW which means that i can;t drive a V8, Turbo/Supercharged enginges or any other vehicle which they consider to be a "performance" vehicle.
Because of these restrictions i was considering changing my address (to my aunies house in QLD) and getting my QLD driving lisence, since they had no car restrictions.
Guess i'll just have to wait.

Frandy

Likes Dirt
it might only put out the same amount of power as a new V6, but the Alloytec dont hav as much torque nore the sound and street appeal :) The Alloytec is 190kW/330Nm, whereas the 5lt V8 is 168kW/395Nm, i think thats lyk 17% more torque which means alot more fun and burning rubber :)

Cheers

Last edited:

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it might only put out the same amount of power as a new V6, but the Alloytec dont hav as much torque nore the sound and street appeal :) The Alloytec is 190kW/330Nm, whereas the 5lt V8 is 168kW/395Nm, i think thats lyk 17% more torque which means alot more fun and burning rubber :)

Cheers
yeah but mate 22KW is a fair bit of power difference. Remebering that 1KW is around 1.3HP.
But yeah mate, i totally agree with you a new alloytec v6 sounds like nothing compared to an older v8. Well, same goes for some of the new 8's to a certain extent. They only really start to beat out the good notes when your up it and when idling they sound somewhat like like a timid mouse.
Bit dissapointing because one of the reasons V8's are much loved is for the sound.

Frandy

Likes Dirt
yeah, but get a 3" exhaust and u hav no longer a timid beast :p The new V8's sound real nice with a huge exhaust :) My goal one day is to own a V8 Statesman and then put a $15,000 twin turbo system in it with the upgraded brakes from APS, that would be the ultimate for a 15 y.o. son if his dad came rollin up to skool in that then layded sum rubber on the way out :p But i rekon that most holdens also look good with those VZ Monaro rims :) I dono y, but i luv em on VS' VZ's and even Statesmans :)

Cheers

custard

Banned
yeah, but get a 3" exhaust and u hav no longer a timid beast :p The new V8's sound real nice with a huge exhaust :) My goal one day is to own a V8 Statesman and then put a $15,000 twin turbo system in it with the upgraded brakes from APS, that would be the ultimate for a 15 y.o. son if his dad came rollin up to skool in that then layded sum rubber on the way out :p But i rekon that most holdens also look good with those VZ Monaro rims :) I dono y, but i luv em on VS' VZ's and even Statesmans :)

Cheers
why the hell would you waste 15 grand on a twin turbo???

you dont turbo v8's

you supercharge them....

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah man, i aint denying it, a new exhaust does the trick.

As for turboed/suprcharged V8's completely love em. Apart from the HIGH fuel consumption on boost, i think they're grand.
Perfect example of this is the CAPA ute and Monaro which Robbie Bolger drives.
Not sure if it's turboed or supercharged, haven't been paying complete attention to it, but it sure does mix it up and beat the Japanese bred competition.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hahahahaha You will get a rude awakening.
I did an quote for insurance for my first car today $1289 per year for comprehensive. Thats for a late 96 VS series 2 Executive manual. I think it will be a while till you get a v8

Frandy

Likes Dirt
Im pretty sure the CAPA ute is Supercharged, thats the 1000kW one right :confused: . I was just thinkin of a turbo for a V8 cause alot of ppl supercharge them, i know its got no spool time and the power is on tap as soon as u push the accelerator but i luv the sound of a V8 with a B.O.V. :D

Cheers

hubbie

Forever 1,337
you dont turbo v8's

you supercharge them....
lots of the elite car builders think otherwise

Im pretty sure the CAPA ute is Supercharged, thats the 1000kW one right :confused:

i luv the sound of a V8 with a B.O.V. :D
The CAPA ute is supercharged. I saw it at the V8's. Soooo amazing when it hits high boost! Ripped into a burnout right infront of my corporate box, and i just missed meeting the driver, Robby Bolger.

Personally i hate the sound of BOV's. I'd much prefer the sound of a big set of turbo's spooling down, but thats the beauty of individuality!

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
Why bother? A car is a car. Then again people say the same thing about bikes. Are you planning on legally racing or are you just some chum who like to pay $400 for new tires because doing burnouts makes you feel good?

Why do people throw away money on crap like supercharging? A to B mate. It's like 4WD that never get taken off-road, an STP that never gets riden (zing). If something doesn't need to be done why do it? If you are 15 now shouldn't you be focused on other things than having a fully phat car? Instead of spending $15000 on turbos you could go out when you finish school, start a full time job and use that $15000 to help contribute towards your independent life living away from parents.

I know people are enthusiastic about this sort of thing but some people just don't get it.

Sorry about the rant.

Frandy

Likes Dirt
yeah but each to his own :) And about the tyres :p Ill be buying half decend tyres for the front and then re-treads for the back, cheap as chips :) or as u say "uber" cheap :D I wouldnt be wasting $15k on twin turbos when im 18-21, that wouldnt be happening till i was lyk in my 30's maybe even late 30's when i have a BIG pay cheque :) :p

CHeers

P.S. Scott, is that a V6?? THats what i want, a VS Series II Manual :)

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeh V6 considering I am on my P's
there as rare as hens teeth good luck finding a decent one. Series 1 have a cable clutch and series 2 have a hydraulic clutch and they made bugger all series 2

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are 15 now shouldn't you be focused on other things than having a fully phat car? Instead of spending $15000 on turbos you could go out when you finish school, start a full time job and use that $15000 to help contribute towards your independent life living away from parents.
Yeah but fatty, you gotta remember he IS only fifteen.
I can tell you now, all i used to think about when i was fifteen was pulling my dick, cars and food.
And no Frandy, i'm not having a dig at you, because it's the truth!!!

Last edited:

Sov

Likes Dirt
that would be the ultimate for a 15 y.o. son if his dad came rollin up to skool in that then layded sum rubber on the way out :p
Lol, that mentality is the exact reason why the P-plater restrictions came into existence:)

Frandy

Likes Dirt
lol, true true, but not as much pullin mine, but more lyk satisfyin my gf ;) lol...But mum might be going halfs wit me nxt year for a 1st car, Series II are hard to find in a certain spot, but if u search CarSales.com u can find a couple of nice ones all over Aus :) Just a bit of a travel and maybe frieght cost, but not too hard :) But yeah they are real rare

Cheers