Car hire advice for NZ trip

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
Hi RB brains trust.

Looking for some advice on car hire for an upcoming boys trip to NZ. Four of us flying into Nelson for 12 days around the South Island, all with our own bikes and trying to figure out best transport option as we will move around a fair bit. Originally thought a dual cab ute would be easiest, but finding it hard to source one (through either the big rental players or even some of the smaller ones) so wondering what else would work.

What have others done on trips? A mate has been told a Kia Carnivale will hold four blokes plus bikes, anyone have experience with them? Obviously the last thing we want is to find that our car won’t fit us all + gear + bikes! Otherwise any other suggestions? Minivan? Hire companies that will do a bike rack?

Keen to hear advice. Thanks all!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Not so much on the type of car, but can at least suggest caution be applied to the plethora of small hire companies renting out old cars and jap imports... I wasnt impressed and canned the booking and got a new car from Hertz instead. It was a bit more expensive but way less hassle and was a nice new car and not a rattly hunk of junk...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
caution be applied to the plethora of small hire companies renting out old cars
I had a hub cap explode on me on a well used corolla. I scooped up the pieces and told the guy they should do a better job superglueing the hub cap back together or not bother putting it back on. I think it was something like $24 a day.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I had a hub cap explode on me on a well used corolla. I scooped up the pieces and told the guy they should do a better job superglueing the hub cap back together or not bother putting it back on. I think it was something like $24 a day.
Surprised they didn’t charge you for the damage...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Surprised they didn’t charge you for the damage...
They did try. But it was quite indefensible. I mean zero gutter damage, and tyre showed no marks but the hub cap literally exploded into pieces. I handed them the container. Queenstown is sick for shuttles lol

BB1

Likes Dirt
Once hired a Kia Carnival for a Thredbo road trip, it carried four bikes and riders, just.

I am actually hiring a minivan (Hyundai iMax or equivalent) for a family trip in North Island NZ through Apex rentals, only paying $60/day.

I reckon it's a good option and at least your bikes are secure if you need to stop anywhere.