Car problems, need advice

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Post a GOOD pic of the old plug. If it's oil then your engine is leaking oil from the valve guides or piston rings in one cylinder.

One tank of e-10 shouldn't do much damage, if you've run a few tanks of it there might be a few possibilities of problems occurring. Can you make the car miss fire under load when it's cold?
First pic is the oily one, 2nd pic is what the other 3 look like.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If going near a cylinder with a leaky spark plug tube/valve gasket, wash away the oil first. New plug is probably fouled too now. At 4 bucks a pop, I’d go about replacing it.

Shellite and compressed air does a marvellous job. Put a rag over the hole unless you want a face full of tasty 10w-40

Your OBD scanner, is this with a phone app and wireless adapter? There are apps that do real time data display, showing long and short term fuel trims and ignition timing, plus coolant temp.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If going near a cylinder with a leaky spark plug tube/valve gasket, wash away the oil first. New plug is probably fouled too now. At 4 bucks a pop, I’d go about replacing it.

Shellite and compressed air does a marvellous job. Put a rag over the hole unless you want a face full of tasty 10w-40

Your OBD scanner, is this with a phone app and wireless adapter? There are apps that do real time data display, showing long and short term fuel trims and ignition timing, plus coolant temp.
I didn't want to wipe it away just in case I got something lost/stuck down there.
If I replaced the valve cover gasket would this stop the leaking do you think?

This is just a plug in OBD scanner. Was looking at buying a wireless one.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Also the swift isnt throwing a code, only the cx5.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Reused plugs might leak, but a new plug with the correct installation technique has its crush washer sealing the combustion chamber. Oil getting everywhere while the plug is out would be my concern.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Here is a very common, very well supported obd2 Bluetooth adapter. Works with almost all iOS and android apps.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That plug has been left on the loose side, you can see carbon coming up the thread and on the sealing washer. First plug is oil from the tube dripping down as it's undone.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the help everyone. My first time doing anything like this and I will replace the rocker cover gasket tomorrow.
  1. Any tips to cleaning out the oil on the surface around the top of the spark plug or does it not matter? I assume oil that got inside will just burn out.
  2. Also, the manual only recommends sealant in a couple of places. I assume there is just a generic sealant I can get with my new gasket. Any recommendations?
  3. The very bottom image shows the gasket which makes sense but I have no idea what I am looking at below though where it says to put the sealant. Maybe it's an end view? I assume I will figure it out when I take it all apart.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here is a very common, very well supported obd2 Bluetooth adapter. Works with almost all iOS and android apps.

Awesome, will get.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks for the help everyone. My first time doing anything like this and I will replace the rocker cover gasket tomorrow.
  1. Any tips to cleaning out the oil on the surface around the top of the spark plug or does it not matter? I assume oil that got inside will just burn out.
  2. Also, the manual only recommends sealant in a couple of places. I assume there is just a generic sealant I can get with my new gasket. Any recommendations?
  3. The very bottom image shows the gasket which makes sense but I have no idea what I am looking at below though where it says to put the sealant. Maybe it's an end view? I assume I will figure it out when I take it all apart.
I like using this sealant,. -permatex-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-rigid-high-torque---ultra-grey-

Blow as much oil out of the spark plug holes as you can before removing the cover and use an old towel over the blower or it will end up in your face and all over the car.

Place the sealant where ever you have a tiny gap.

Last edited:

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good news everybody!

Just replaced the gasket in the swift and figured out what that pic meant. You could see the previous gasket where the oil leaked around the edge into the spark plug. Only lost the 10mm socket 3 times.

Pretty sure the CX5 needs an O2 sensor replaced. It needs a belt tensioner replaced too so I think I will bite the bullet and get the mechanic to sort those out.

Thankyou everyone for your help.