Car

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Im moving to Melbourne in about a month and am considering what to do with my car. Im a diehard DHer and have bought my cars in the past to make it easier. I also ride XC and AM but dont really care about it much.

When I lived in sydney I drive a hatch as it was great for the city, got me to all the tracks I needed and I could shuttle (with trailer or rack) on mostly bitumen road/ good gravel

In Perth I bought a ute, as a 4wd was necessary to get to some of the DH tracks, and lots of the shuttle roads are terrible.

I could keep my ute for melbourne but id rather get a smaller car thats better suited to the city. A mate has said that would be fine for victoria - any other opinions?

Cheers

Ideate

Depends where you're shuttling. Lets make a list shall we?

You Yangs - locked
iRide - ocean breeze rusts your bearings
Long Gully - private
Buller - BlueDirt cartel own those roads
Warby - laced with booby traps

mmmm.. Why are you moving to Melbourne again?

cicot

Likes Dirt
Depends where you're shuttling. Lets make a list shall we?

You Yangs - locked
iRide - ocean breeze rusts your bearings
Long Gully - private
Buller - BlueDirt cartel own those roads
Warby - laced with booby traps

and for kinglake and maldon a car would suffice.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Narbethong's shuttle road is the only rough/rocky one I can think of, all the others seem pretty good.
Should still be fine in a normal car though.

Ideate

Joking. You don't need anything special to shuttle in Victoria. Narby is a little rough but you could get up there slowly in a regular hatch. Maldon is tarmac and Kinglake is just as easy. I've shuttled Mt Beauty and Falls Creek in my GTI.

Otherwise, there's always someone keen to invite new people on private shuttle days as long as you're happy to contribute to petrol and fun.

jarrod839

Banned
As the other guys have mentioned nearly all the DH tracks are easily shuttled with most vehicles.
But there are a few shuttle company's running now and shuttles happening every weekend so there is always a few places to choose from depending on conditions.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hahah im guessing you dont know much about wa either?! Ive got a BT50 ad some of the shuttle tracks here are pretty hard work for that, forget a 2wd. Sounds like Vic is more like NSW where an SSUV or something will be fine. Ill get something semi off road capable like an Outback.

Itll be hard selling the ute though...sob...

Cheers for the advise guys

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
hahah im guessing you dont know much about wa either?! Ive got a BT50 ad some of the shuttle tracks here are pretty hard work for that, forget a 2wd. Sounds like Vic is more like NSW where an SSUV or something will be fine. Ill get something semi off road capable like an Outback.

Russ hang on to the BT50 for a bit longer or buy another similar vehicle for your time in Victoria. You're on the doorstep of the Victorian high country and the riding opportunities out there are just stunning. If you have someone else who can drive the car while you bomb down high country tracks - and drive back up the next climb you're in for a rare and terrific treat - whilst the rest of the downhill crowd deals with the agro at the regular parks. Crashing down the Pinnacles, Billy Goat Bluff, Blue Rag, Zeka.... OMG it's fantastic! Camp in the valleys by drop dead gorgeous rivers and repeat the next day.

You'll find that the Victorian high country is a far better experience than the ranges near Sydney.

Ideate

I never asked why you wanted to leave WA ;)

If you want tranquillity and romantic scenic adventures by the river then holding onto the BT50 might be a good option to explore the high country. Otherwise if you're after some fun at the groomed parks, then you don't need anything special.

Depends what type of riding you're after?

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Depends what type of riding you're after?
Easy. Do it all with the one car.

You have XC, AM and DH bicycles Russ. In Vic you have the opportunity to experience them all in one of the most compelling natural environments in the world - no pea gravel..... Knock off work on a Friday afternoon, drive an hour or two out of Melbourne, set up camp and ride your heart out.

We do this all the time. It's good fun and happy to point you towards some of the best of the best Russ.

Ideate

Easy. Do it all with the one car.
Yeah you could but it seems Russ isn't too interested in biking down a muddy 4x4 track on a rigid fat bike (as fun as it might be).

Im a diehard DHer and have bought my cars in the past to make it easier. I also ride XC and AM but dont really care about it much.
I could keep my ute for melbourne but id rather get a smaller car thats better suited to the city.
In light of your comments and plans to move to Melbourne, buy a smaller car. If you're lazy, keep your BT50 and go Fat biking with ISI but be careful, the trip might end up like a Danoz Direct infomercial on repeat.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Yeah you could but it seems Russ isn't too interested in biking down a muddy 4x4 track on a rigid fat bike (as fun as it might be).

In light of your comments and plans to move to Melbourne, buy a smaller car. If you're lazy, keep your BT50 and go Fat biking with ISI but be careful, the trip might end up like a Danoz Direct infomercial on repeat.
Oh. Do you have a problem?

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What are the high country trails like?

Like ideate said, if they're dh I might change my mind but if its xc or am I wont let it change my decision unfortunately. I'm looking at something like an suv - outback / crv etc. So it wont really be able to do proper 4wd, probably not stuff like in that pic isi, although maybe if I hammer it ;)

When we replace my wife's car at some point I could put in a vote for a shuttle pig lol

Ideate

What are the high country trails like?

Like ideate said, if they're dh I might change my mind but if its xc or am I wont let it change my decision unfortunately..
Just went to Long Gully Sunday. You'd like it there (Ben builds some proper steep dh tracks). Again no need for your own 4x4 either.. But I'm not against exploring the high country as George thinks (and likened me to a terrorist). I just oppose his spam and denial but I enjoy rolling up his PR team as unprofessional as they are.

jarrod839

Banned
Just went to Long Gully Sunday. You'd like it there (Ben builds some proper steep dh tracks). Again no need for your own 4x4 either.. But I'm not against exploring the high country as George thinks (and likened me to a terrorist). I just oppose his spam and denial but I enjoy rolling up his PR team as unprofessional as they are.
+1 for long gully its a amazing place.
Was the new track up and running yet

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
+1 for long gully its a amazing place.
Was the new track up and running yet
Is that the hardtail track you're referring to? With all the berms that they posted on FB a short while back?

If so, yeah it's open for business, but it's SUPER short and over all too quickly.
Thursday night track, Thurs into dual slalom, or Cool Runnings into Thurs into Slalom were my fav combos.

Dunno if I'd be happy going back there for the $60 asking price, especially since I can't really participate in the BBQ action.

The drop off into the jumps at the end are pretty fun though.

jarrod839

Banned
Is that the hardtail track you're referring to? With all the berms that they posted on FB a short while back?

If so, yeah it's open for business, but it's SUPER short and over all too quickly.
Thursday night track, Thurs into dual slalom, or Cool Runnings into Thurs into Slalom were my fav combos.

Dunno if I'd be happy going back there for the $60 asking price, especially since I can't really participate in the BBQ action.

The drop off into the jumps at the end are pretty fun though.
yeah i think that's the one was meant to be the extension of the hardtail track
Shame to hear its short but looks fun anyway.
Had no idea it got bumped upto 60 or did you have to buy a day licence.