Carbon handlebar/stem/seatpost from ebay?

captain3k

Likes Bikes
I second the Light Bike comment ^^ - vested interest in A+ product. I purchase the Bontrager RXL carbon bars off ebay to try on my SS, They looked legit (compared them side by side against the ones on my friends trek) first ones cracked at the taper, then the replacement bar was under-diameter spec (and slightly oval) at the points where you would tighten lock-on grip rings. Got refunded.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I second the Light Bike comment ^^ - vested interest in A+ product. I purchase the Bontrager RXL carbon bars off ebay to try on my SS, They looked legit (compared them side by side against the ones on my friends trek) first ones cracked, then second set was under-diameter spec (and slightly oval) at the points where you would tighten lock-on grip rings. Got refunded.
How/where did it crack...?

captain3k

Likes Bikes
I can send a pic if you are interested as i still have the bars... it cracked on the underside, narrow end of the taper, nearly like a bit of resin popped/chipped out about a 1/4 - 1/3 of circumference from memory - bars where still strong - i still couldn't snap them (put one end in a hole on my work bench and pulled on them). In terms of use, bike is a rigid SS and i'm 6'6 tall and 95kg geared so the bars got pushed and pulled a bit, pretty sure it happened first XC ride - the carbon was smooth but i've gone completely the other direction now, bike is fitted with some old sunline DH bars.

Last edited:

oriion

Likes Dirt
Mate of mine bought some yum-cha carbon bars of ebay a few months back, now has 14 stitches and rather nasty internal injuries from his bars snapping.

So I would not touch them.

Haakon

I can send a pic if you are interested as i still have the bars... it cracked on the underside, narrow end of the taper, nearly like a bit of resin popped/chipped out about a 1/4 - 1/3 of circumference from memory - bars where still strong - i still couldn't snap them (put one end in a hole on my work bench and pulled on them). In terms of use, bike is a rigid SS and i'm 6'6 tall and 95kg geared so the bars got pushed and pulled a bit, pretty sure it happened first XC ride - the carbon was smooth but i've gone completely the other direction now, bike is fitted with some old sunline DH bars.
They will certainly lead a much easier life on my bike, but... At least they let you know before failing catastrophically.

captain3k

Likes Bikes
I loved the way the carbon rode, but i don't think i'll put carbon bars back on any bike i ride unless they were designed for more aggressive use e.g. a set Renthal bars. - i know there are 1000's of people out there riding with carbon bars with 0% issues

Last edited:

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love their Gernglish.

I tested my Syntace bars the other day, crashed them hard into the dirt. Stem turned slightly on the steerer. Bars completely intact. (I'll update if I have catastrophic failure with lost teeth anytime soon).

Haakon

Pretty sure I didn't over tighten these, and it was just the side to side stresses of normal life in a stem clamp... Creaking from day one. It is possible I stuffed it, but I did use a torque wrench progressively, and a very gentle tweak on the trail when the creaking got loud.

Outside damage was;

IMG_7407.jpg

So in the interests of science, I attacked with a hacksaw - result is a clear crack on the inside...

IMG_7424.JPG

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
When I built my wife's bike up I thought I would try some of these carbon bits on ebay. I went for Hylix stuff as it seems to have some brand recognition when talking about ebay carbon bits. The reviews are pretty good, some people swear by them.

This seat post has around 200km of riding on it being used by my wife. Cracked around 2/3 of the way around. Very disappointed, awaiting a reply from the seller.

Attachments

golden path

Banned
Would I trust life and limb to cheap no name stuff?

Yeah nah.

If it's being sold new on eBay for $30 it likely cost $5 to make.....

You can find an OEM manufacturer in China to make most things, and get your own brand on them.

I've imported and sold a heap of lights made to my specs, for the most part things were fine, but there were various issues with a few traceable back to either poor assembly or poor QC and one time I was sent entirely the wrong LED's.

For something critical like a bar, stem or post, no way would I trust cheap generic gear or knockoffs.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Had these cheap ebay bars on the commuter for a total of 5 rides. They were cheap and I needed some short bars to complete the flat bar conversion so thought why not.
Well now I know why not. They were torqued to spec and all good, riding today heard massive amounts of creaking, thought Id cracked my frame. Turns out just the bars, in 3 places.

crackedbars1.jpgcrackedbars2.jpg

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
After the seat post incident I've just taken the Hylix ebay carbon bars off my wife's bike and replaced it with an Easton EC70. It's just not worth it.

I'm still not quite sure about the $26 UNO stem from ebay. Although it gets fantastic reviews on the Euro weight weenie forums and I can't find any photos of them cracking. I guess forged aluminium is a bit more straight forward to make than carbon.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Happiness is a forged stem.

Welds always seem to give out eventually. I'm sure cf makes a nice stem but I still have flashbacks about a friends cf seatpost that went crack right while I was riding behind then the seat fell off.

Some places like seatpost and stems I am wary of cf. If it bends or cracks slowly then you are winning.

----------
Sent with added typos from a tiny mobile keyboard and spellchecker that makes a mess of everything.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/components/catch-counterfeiter-sketchy-world-fake-bike-gear

Hylix gets a mention in here - some dude had his hylix bar let go while doing 30mph, broke his neck in 2 places, apparently.

Buying this sh1t is nuts IMO and just makes the problem worse by giving these fckers more market to sell into.

Kalloy uno has been around for ages in various shapes/forms as suits the time but the principle of bang for buck remains, prob wouldnt use for anything other than seatpost and stem though, simply don't need anything else to think about mid ride.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Kalloy uno has been around for ages in various shapes/forms as suits the time but the principle of bang for buck remains, prob wouldnt use for anything other than seatpost and stem though, simply don't need anything else to think about mid ride.
I think Kalloy provided OEM seatposts for GT for a quite long time too. They work fine.

The CF / alloy bonding points on seatposts are a concern - even if the CF and alloy are fine by themselves then you have to hope the glue / bonding agent stay stuck together.