Carbon handlebars

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I had a bingle in December last year which resulted in a compression fracture on the front of the bar between the stem and left grip. Patched it up & all hunky dory. A couple of weeks ago I was riding down a trail when the right end of the bar started feeling rather wobbly. Pulled up & had a squizz; cracking at the lever clamp, again a compression fracture causing the resin to break down. The majority of the fibres remained intact; the bar bends downward due to the lack of compression resistance from the fractured resin, but held together under tension.

The point is, the bar did not just snap, and although it cut my ride short and needed some careful handling, I was able to safely ride the 5 or so kilometres out of the park & back to where I was parked.

Z

Zaf

Where does the Teflon tape fit in?
Think it works like a good sandwich, you need to alternate slippery with grippy items to make sure it doesn't all fall apart in your hands.
So I think the correct order is as follows:
  • Carbon Grip
  • Teflon Paper
  • Loctite
  • Grease
  • Anti-Seize
  • Jam
This really needs to be stickied.

teK--

Eats Squid
Think it works like a good sandwich, you need to alternate slippery with grippy items to make sure it doesn't all fall apart in your hands.
So I think the correct order is as follows:
  • Carbon Grip
  • Teflon Paper
  • Loctite
  • Grease
  • Anti-Seize
  • Jam
This really needs to be stickied.
Did Chops tell you his secret recipe?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
The point is, the bar did not just snap, and although it cut my ride short and needed some careful handling, I was able to safely ride the 5 or so kilometres out of the park & back to where I was parked.
Hang on, hang on! I was under the impression from many posts on this very site that carbon bars are a catastrophe waiting to happen, that will result in facial and spinal injuries, impotence and strangely enough, a carbon bar breaking will also concurrently result in unwanted pregnancy (I've even seen random alternative medicine practitioners throwing carbon bars off that nice rock slab with a great view on junction track to facilitate clients getting preggers).

Every carbon bar I have seen break in person has also broken at the clamp on grips or at the stem, user error in every case. Not saying spontaneous pregnancy does not occur, it just seems over hyped and often user error.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
user error = over tightening or pranging ?
Both.

Always use friction paste on the carbon part to avoid slippage and galvanic corrosion and anti seize on the bolts and torque wrench to assemble to 5nm or manufacturers spec.

After an accident, inspect visually and by softly tapping with an allen key or screwdriver for changes in sound. If still in doubt get it scanned.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
Both.

Always use friction paste on the carbon part to avoid slippage and galvanic corrosion and anti seize on the bolts and torque wrench to assemble to 5nm or manufacturers spec.

After an accident, inspect visually and by softly tapping with an allen key or screwdriver for changes in sound. If still in doubt get it scanned.

Man I got over that shit and just went back to alloy...

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Man I got over that shit and just went back to alloy...
And then you get old and crotchety and look for any way to alleviate numb palms.

The spank vibrocores are good but nothing beats carbon bars and those big dorky ergon grips for vibration dampening.