Carbon road rim on a MTB

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Abstract question but there is a reason.

Thoughts on using a carbon road rim on a MTB, primarily XC.

rim diameter is the same. weights are about the same. Rims are slightly heavier but that could be to support the 100+ psi of the road tyre.

Have a Giant Defy Disc. Also have a 29" race hard tail with Roval SL.

Looking at building a spare set of wheels for both. Occasional road or MTB. Also to support the occasional touring on either bike, eg 28-35mm tyres.

Thinking hope evo pro with 11 speed freehub. 32 spoke and a light bicycle carbon rim (25mm deep and 25mm wide).

1500-1600 grams. Flexible.

Little narrow for XC but should be workable.

what am I missing?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I would just go the other way and get the XC MTB rim instead but that's just my thoughts

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I would just go the other way and get the XC MTB rim instead but that's just my thoughts
That kinda defeats the purpose of running it on a road bike with high tyre pressures.?Whats the general max psi for a MTB rim??

I cant see much of an issue with it not working.... if its the same spacing, same diameter, just narrower.... which is better that being too wide.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
The only issue with MTB rims is the low pressure. Generally between 40 and 60psi. un-workable for road.

Also width can cause difficulties when running a 25mm tyre

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The only issue with MTB rims is the low pressure. Generally between 40 and 60psi. un-workable for road.

Also width can cause difficulties when running a 25mm tyre
I've ran 90psi no problems with a 25c on 19mm id mtb wheels. The limitation is not the pressure, but the width. 25c on anything above 20mm id is shakey imo. That said 2.2" on 19mm is not ideal but works. Should be fine.

Personally, I'd build up either a a great wheel for the mtb or a great wheel for the roadie and use what was originally on there as the spare. There is no point spending on a compromise I rekon.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
I already have great wheelsets for both bikes.

What I am looking for is a spare wheelset for the case when one or the other is taken offline. crash, broken spokes, failure

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The main thing to look out for with a road rim is that being narrow could make fitting heavier-beaded MTB tyres a right pain in the bum. A CX (which is essentially the same as an unfashionable narrow MTB) rim will have just that bit more room, but also not too badly compromise a road tyre if you keep to a sensible width (25mm min.).

I run a 23c road tyre on a cheap old Bontrager 850 wheel as my trainer wheel.
Looks sketchy, but can hold the 95PSI I run in it.

I'd look at a cyclocross designed rim, which i've found some to be rebranded MTB rims, some others to be rebranded road rims. Either way you go, it will work. The load from a road tyre pressure won't be that much due to the lower volume.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm pretty sure good mtb rims would be able to take 100psi, I have run over 80psi on cheap mtb rims for years without a problem.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
It seems alloy are pretty flexible but carbon seem to be pretty specific.

So carbon road/cyclocross, Okay for light MTB/race use?

There were a couple of dads running flat bar road bikes out at The Playground @ Stromlo on the weekend. Doing the See-Saws and skills sections.
No broken wheels from what I could see.