Carbon Wheels what does it feel like riding one ?

bmar560

Likes Dirt
seems mostly positive feedback, jumps and massive drops ain't my thing, but I like riding rocky stuff.
Bought my new bike for next year's birthday, carbon wheels will be early christmas present :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Bought my new bike for next year's birthday, carbon wheels will be early christmas present :)
Now that's planning ahead :) Be sure to park the new steed under the Xmas tree just so you have something to look at on Xmas day.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
seems mostly positive feedback, jumps and massive drops ain't my thing, but I like riding rocky stuff.
In that case prepare to get lots of chips and scratches! Post up some pics when you get a chance and whilst they are new and unscarred.

Suggest get a Huck Norris or some type of rim bead protector. It was a pointy rock that destroyed my rim and funnily it was the week before I was about to buy a protector.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Go Zelvy! Great wheels, good service, transferable warranty.....

I love mine, what issue do you have with Funn / Indusrty 9 / Onyx hubs?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Zelvy are currently on sale for 2017 display stock.

Those Onyx hubs seem amazing but spending $1000 for a set when standards are changing every 30 secs seems wasteful.

157x12 super boost+ WTF!?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
I bought a 2nd set of Zelvys on Funn hubs....couldn’t see the sense in a set of 30/35 alloys on Hopes for $700+ shipped to Aus....especially with the local support and the first set with I9s have been excellent...just bought a boostinator kit to go boost and a redish all good.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
had the giant p-xc1c; wasn't impressed by them, dveloped a crack around a spoke hole, sub80kg, never had any other problems with alloy wheels; i will mostly stick to alloy. a firend bought some curves, he loves them
To be fair, everyone cracks those though...Have a look at the second hand anthems/trances/reigns that came stock with that wheelset...Very few of them still have the original rear wheel.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Go Zelvy! Great wheels, good service, transferable warranty.....

I love mine, what issue do you have with Funn / Indusrty 9 / Onyx hubs?
Nothing against them, just preferred the dt240

Unfortunately no 29er wheels on that clearance list

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, and by the way, one additional thing to bear in mind with carbon wheels if it's not been mentioned is that you'll probably need to lower your fork pressure.
I was reminded of this earlier today having put carbon wheels on in place of alloy ones. The fork felt more spiky as a direct result. Might need to drop the air pressure by 5psi and see how it goes...

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Better tracking, because there's a lot less deflection in the rims when cornering hard (whoever said above that you can get the same from aluminium by cranking up the spoke tension has it wrong; regardless of tension the carbon rim will always be a lot stiffer than a similar-profiled aluminium rim, plus high tension in aluminium will eventually pull spokes out). The reduced deflection can make the wheels a bit more skittish over chattery surfaces, but that can be corrected with a slight lowering of tyre pressure.

Despite the extra stiffness, the nature of carbon is much better at absorbing high-frequency vibrations, so although you still feel the bumps, the impact of them is softened.

Better responsiveness, because carbon rims are lighter than an equivalent-profile aluminium model.

A hit big enough to break a carbon rim will irreparably deform an aluminium rim too. Carbon is springy right up to the point at which it breaks, so will literally bounce back from many hits that will dent aluminium to some degree.
+2, this is probably the best summary so far. When you hear about people breaking carbon rims, it should always be put in perspective, as in, what would have happened to an alloy rim in the same conditions? All I can add is that I used to dent and crack alloy rims so often that I had to learn how to build wheels, but since I went carbon about 3 years ago, I haven't had to build a single wheel. I did one carbon repair (which is still holding up 2 years on) on a small crack (wheel was still round and true), but that was a massive hit that would have completely destroyed an alloy rim. You can't repair alloy rims when they crack.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If you really feel inclined to dig through the archives of this joint, I did a more detailed piece a year or so ago comparing aluminium & carbon frames, aluminium and carbon wheels, and combinations of the two. That previous post of mine here is a much-abbreviated summary of that larger one. :smile:

EDIT: Found it. Click here to jump over to it.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Been on Zelvys for 3 and a bit years so far, my experiences are somewhat different in regards to ride quality.

I find them quite harsh unless your going flat out, presuming due to the rim stiffness, at casual riding speeds I ping pong off every obstacle. Albeit, this does not occur at fast pace when I am actively pushing the bike along, swapped wheels mid ride to some FLow's and 471's and its definitely the carbon rims doing this. Not a big deal just an observation.

But as mentioned, they track really really well, I still remember the first few rides, over steering off the track.

haven't needed to touch the spokes ever, still dead straight, if Zelvy had some of the burly DH rims they do on special, I might buy another set.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love the tracking of carbon rims, just built up a second pair for less than $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
To be fair, everyone cracks those though...Have a look at the second hand anthems/trances/reigns that came stock with that wheelset...Very few of them still have the original rear wheel.
Mine are the slightly beefier (I think...) P-TRX1 on an Anthem Adv SX. I think it was that year's Trance carbon wheel set. They've been awesome.

MrPlow

TMBC
anyone know if the Funn hubs that comes with Zelvy can be converted to have Torque caps ?
Hey mate, Greg here from Zelvy. (late reply, I don't troll forums too often).

Check out our new hubs mate, not sure what you mean by Torque caps?

By the way, appreciate all the love from the other fellas here!