Carbon Wheels what does it feel like riding one ?

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hubs off scumtree, 4 wheels, XD and shim driver for $100! Spokes from bikecomponents.de

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've started researching 30-32mm ID rims for the lapierre's new wheels. This is a totally discretionary purchase, like having 8 bikes isn't already, so I'm trying to not buy something on compulsion.

27.5", 30-32mm Inner width. 32 hole. Non UST. Brass nipples. Hoping for under 2000grams total build weight. My budget is 1500ish. Might build myself, might buy complete. Hope Pro4 is almost a given, which I think rules out Zelvy, warranty void if I change my own bearings probably isn't where I want to go, but buying Australian at least keeps a portion of the price domestic.

Contenders so far

Light bicycle
Nextie
Blue Flow Wheels
Zelvy
Enve second hand M730.
Carbonal

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've started researching 30-32mm ID rims for the lapierre's new wheels. This is a totally discretionary purchase, like having 8 bikes isn't already, so I'm trying to not buy something on compulsion.

27.5", 30-32mm Inner width. 32 hole. Non UST. Brass nipples. Hoping for under 2000grams total build weight. My budget is 1500ish. Might build myself, might buy complete. Hope Pro4 is almost a given, which I think rules out Zelvy, warranty void if I change my own bearings probably isn't where I want to go, but buying Australian at least keeps a portion of the price domestic.

Contenders so far

Light bicycle
Nextie
Blue Flow Wheels
Zelvy
Enve second hand M730.
Premium mtb is the local Nextie agent and they will build onto Hope pro 4s.

Nextie also make asymmetric rims which are theoretically stronger. I've got a set of the 33mm asymmetric rims and the 3mm offset allows almost equal spoke length and tension within 75% side to side. I'll send you the spokecalc spreadsheet if you want.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Premium mtb is the local Nextie agent and they will build onto Hope pro 4s.

Nextie also make asymmetric rims which are theoretically stronger. I've got a set of the 33mm asymmetric rims and the 3mm offset allows almost equal spoke length and tension within 75% side to side. I'll send you the spokecalc spreadsheet if you want.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
PMed, thanks dude

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Contenders so far

Light bicycle
Nextie
Blue Flow Wheels
Zelvy
Enve second hand M730.
Check out Carbonal rims; that's what I built my wheels with a couple of years back. I know they're a bit smaller than you're looking at, but 26", 23mm internal width, XTR hubs, Aerolite spokes (x32) & brass nipples came in a touch under 1400g, and around $1k in bits (but exchange rates will affect that).

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Check out Carbonal rims; that's what I built my wheels with a couple of years back. I know they're a bit smaller than you're looking at, but 26", 23mm internal width, XTR hubs, Aerolite spokes (x32) & brass nipples came in a touch under 1400g, and around $1k in bits (but exchange rates will affect that).
Thanks Ducky, they are on the short list. They have rim widths all the way up to fat bike in their offering now.

MrPlow

TMBC

Contenders so far

Light bicycle
Nextie
Blue Flow Wheels
Zelvy
Enve second hand M730.
Carbonal
Why do you want Hope Pro4?
We dropped them for these reasons
>Heavy
>engagement points are only 44t?
>Too many failed bearings.

You can certainly change bearings yourself, if you have the right equipment, but lets face it, there are a LOT of guys out there that think a hammer and a socket is a bearing press. And we warranty our bearings, so if we say online "Yeh change your own bearings" we couldn't cover the warranty.
I am capable of doing an oil change on my own car, but if I do, I void warranty :tsk:
Hope that clears it up for you..
We offer Lifetime Warranty, and a years #zelvymates (essentially insurance against any mishaps) cover with our wheels now.
Sure, you can buy rims from China/Taiwan/ where ever, build them up yourself. And maybe they will ride good, maybe they wont?
PS keep an eye out for the chatbot on our website wheels page ;)

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why do you want Hope Pro4?
We dropped them for these reasons
>Heavy
>engagement points are only 44t?
>Too many failed bearings.
I have had hope hubs in various bikes for the last 10 years and have never once changed a bearing as the need has not arisen.

Maybe i just don't ride in enough mud.

Regardless i do find myself heading to your website and lusting after some zelvy hoops.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've never experienced unreasonable breakdowns from hope either, over 2000kms on hope4s and never touched the hubs once. I think you're dealing with user abuse if you've had many failures.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Brave coming onto the hope love-fest forum and bagging Pro 4s when you're releasing a new to market hub

MrPlow

TMBC
I've never experienced unreasonable breakdowns from hope either, over 2000kms on hope4s and never touched the hubs once. I think you're dealing with user abuse if you've had many failures.
riding carbon rims is like dating a super model and being 30 years younger
Brave coming onto the hope love-fest forum and bagging Pro 4s when you're releasing a new to market hub
Zelvy ran Hope hubs (Pro2's for a good few years right up to and including the Pro4.
I am not bagging them as such. We had quite a number of bearings fail earlier in the piece when they moved to Pro4. I would think they have been rectified. (Those issues weren't with Pro2)
I know Alan and a few of the guys at Hope, and they are great, and so is the product.
But for our 2016 product range we dropped them, Our opinion (and you are entitled to your own and that's ok) is less than 100 points of engagement compromises performance.
We were hoping (punn not intended) the Pro4 would see significant increase in engagement points, and decrease in weight and price. Unfortunately that didn't happen.
Hope is a great company making some truly awesome products.
So is Industry9, Chris King, FUNN, Onyx, White Industries..
We just took all the things we loved about each of our previous hub suppliers and made our own hub. :)
We loved the removable end caps from Hope for example. The weight and engagement of the I9. The ceramic bearings of the Onyx etc..

Beej1

riding carbon rims is like dating a super model and being 30 years younger
Just doing the math there.

Yup ... that's 12 year old Beej hooking up with (looks up current supermodels) ... a 25 yr old Karlie Kloss.

Man, imagine the props I'd get being dropped off at high school by my supermodel girlfriend.

Back to rims ... I notice Mr Plow mentioned the lifetime warranty above. I also noticed Raceface are offering the same. This is a good thing, hopefully more manufacturers jump on board.

MrPlow

TMBC
Just doing the math there.

Yup ... that's 12 year old Beej hooking up with (looks up current supermodels) ... a 25 yr old Karlie Kloss.

Man, imagine the props I'd get being dropped off at high school by my supermodel girlfriend.

Back to rims ... I notice Mr Plow mentioned the lifetime warranty above. I also noticed Raceface are offering the same. This is a good thing, hopefully more manufacturers jump on board.
Haha, we are offering free supermodels with every purchase made in December :)

Careful with your warranty, some "lifetime" warranties are the lifetime of the product, not your lifetime (like ours is your lifetime)
https://www.raceface.com/support/warranty-faqs/
The #Zelvymates program is probably a bigger thing really. Since Warranty, like your car, covers manufacture defects. Your insurance (#Zelvymates) covers them little JRA moments, and is included with new wheels. ;)

BT180

Max Pfaff
Pretty sure RF's warranty is only 2 years. Santa Cruz is the other big player with a lifetime warranty.