Carbon Wheels what does it feel like riding one ?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I don't really get the warranty thing with rims. If a rider was to case a biggish step-down with a sharp rocky ledge on the lander and crack a rim, surely it wouldn't be the manufacturers responsibility to replace it? It's always going to be a grey area in terms of what constitutes operator error and genuine manufacturing defects.

With the new SC rims, do they cover them being ridden down concrete stairs with no tyre?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Zelvy ran Hope hubs (Pro2's for a good few years right up to and including the Pro4.
I am not bagging them as such. We had quite a number of bearings fail earlier in the piece when they moved to Pro4. I would think they have been rectified. (Those issues weren't with Pro2)
I know Alan and a few of the guys at Hope, and they are great, and so is the product.
But for our 2016 product range we dropped them, Our opinion (and you are entitled to your own and that's ok) is less than 100 points of engagement compromises performance.
We were hoping (punn not intended) the Pro4 would see significant increase in engagement points, and decrease in weight and price. Unfortunately that didn't happen.
Hope is a great company making some truly awesome products.
So is Industry9, Chris King, FUNN, Onyx, White Industries..
We just took all the things we loved about each of our previous hub suppliers and made our own hub. :)
We loved the removable end caps from Hope for example. The weight and engagement of the I9. The ceramic bearings of the Onyx etc..
You of all people should know that bearing failure isn't specific to one brand of hub, I actually came across a bloke on the trails with your wheels that had Chris king hubs that had wheel bearings with excess movement only after a few weeks of riding and he looked like the type of bloke that didn't get the wheels off the ground also.

As for engagement points and weight, it doesn't make much difference to an armature rider like me because my focus is on reliability first then weight second. I'm old, slightly over weight and I can still get within seconds of some of the top Koms on my local trails, that's good enough hub engagement for me.

Another thing I'd like to add is owning multiply bikes and hope hubs, it's easy to swap and change wheels without waiting weeks or paying a fortune for adaptors. I've had mates that just about pull their hair out trying to find adaptors for some brand of hubs and it's also a good selling point. You should still consider Hope Hubs as an option for your wheels even if you sell your recommend superior hubs. I hope all goes well with Zelvey for the future and it's good to see a local company working hard to compete in the industry.

MrPlow

TMBC
You of all people should know that bearing failure isn't specific to one brand of hub, I actually came across a bloke on the trails with your wheels that had Chris king hubs that had wheel bearings with excess movement only after a few weeks of riding and he looked like the type of bloke that didn't get the wheels off the ground also.
I do know, and while bearing failure can occur to any brand.. We have used a lot of different brands in the past... make of it what you will.

As for engagement points and weight, it doesn't make much difference to an armature rider like me because my focus is on reliability first then weight second. I'm old, slightly over weight and I can still get within seconds of some of the top Koms on my local trails, that's good enough hub engagement for me.
That's ok. But less engagement points and more weight doesn't equal more reliability. Everything is a compromise, nothing is perfect. But our opinion is that fast hub engagement is improves rider performance and rider experience. Especially for the average joe.

Another thing I'd like to add is owning multiply bikes and hope hubs, it's easy to swap and change wheels without waiting weeks or paying a fortune for adaptors. I've had mates that just about pull their hair out trying to find adaptors for some brand of hubs and it's also a good selling point. You should still consider Hope Hubs as an option for your wheels even if you sell your recommend superior hubs. I hope all goes well with Zelvey for the future and it's good to see a local company working hard to compete in the industry.
Horses for courses. Customers can always purchase the rims and have them built up at their LBS, or the LBS can buy through us the rims. But it isn't feasible for us to offer the Hope hubs for many reasons, performance and warranty being just a few. BOOST is compatible with nothing else, and is fast taking over. We carry adaptors for 135x12 as an example for our hubs too, 135x10 is also coming. I get what you mean though, we have had the same experience with adaptors from other brands.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I actually came across a bloke on the trails with your wheels that had Chris king hubs that had wheel bearings with excess movement only after a few weeks of riding and he looked like the type of bloke that didn't get the wheels off the ground also.
Probably just needed to adjust the preload on the axle but didn't know that he had to or how ....

Beej1

Pretty sure RF's warranty is only 2 years. Santa Cruz is the other big player with a lifetime warranty.
You're dead right.

I swear to the universe I read that pinkbike article about Raceface wheels and somehow the '2' turned into 'lifetime' before the database commit;

What's more likely is that I read the Zelvy article about lifetime warranty, concocted a false reality where I remembered reading the same about Raceface, and the rest is history.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's ok. But less engagement points and more weight doesn't equal more reliability. Everything is a compromise, nothing is perfect. But our opinion is that fast hub engagement is improves rider performance and rider experience. Especially for the average joe.
How are they getting the weight down, I've never put the hubs side by side ? I can only think of smaller radiuses, thicknesses, smaller and lighter materials.

Horses for courses. Customers can always purchase the rims and have them built up at their LBS, or the LBS can buy through us the rims. But it isn't feasible for us to offer the Hope hubs for many reasons, performance and warranty being just a few. BOOST is compatible with nothing else, and is fast taking over. We carry adaptors for 135x12 as an example for our hubs too, 135x10 is also coming. I get what you mean though, we have had the same experience with adaptors from other brands.
Not saying there's anything wrong with what you're doing with your wheels but when you own a few bikes it gets expensive if you've a different type of hub on every bike. If you like carrying spares, you'll need to carry a lot and especially if it's not a common hub.
Some of your main competitors sell with hope like LB and Nextie. It's easier for people to go there and get what they want rather than get wheels built outside then when something goes wrong everyone points the finger at each other.

Probably just needed to adjust the preload on the axle but didn't know that he had to or how ....
He said something along the lines of the wheelset was only a few weeks old, not something I've ever come across even with cheap hubs and he also didn't want to touch the hubs due to possible warranty issues latter on.

Last edited:

MrPlow

TMBC
How are they getting the weight down, I've never put the hubs side by side ? I can only think of smaller radiuses, thicknesses, smaller and lighter materials.

Not saying there's anything wrong with what doing with your wheels but when you own a few bikes it gets expensive if you've a different type of hub on every bike. If you like carrying spares, you'll need to carry a lot and especially if it's not a common hub.
Some of your main competitors sell with hope like LB and Nextie. It's easier for people to go there and get what they want rather than get wheels built outside then when something goes wrong everyone points the finger at each other.
Yep. That's why we also offer to build to your supplied hubs ;)
Still though, you don't get the lifetime warranty then. Just 5 years on everything but the hubs.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Still though, you don't get the lifetime warranty then. Just 5 years on everything but the hubs.
That's good that you offer that service and 5 years is still pretty reasonable.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
As an owner of Zelvy on Hope with lifetime warranty, what's the rationale behind that?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Well that kicked off a flurry of discussion.

For me, like flow-rider, I've too many bikes with hope and DT hubs, no going back now. I'm happy with 44poe (even happy with DT's 36poe), don't want to get used to higher Poe for fear of needing onyx hubs on way too many bikes. Will probably stick with DT for XC, and Hope for everything else.

Saying that, MrPlow, your hubs are an OEM Industry nine? sharing internals? What's the price for rims only please in 30mm internal? Any plans for asymmetrical profiles? Btw, great to have your participation here.

MrPlow

TMBC
As an owner of Zelvy on Hope with lifetime warranty, what's the rationale behind that?
If you have Zelvy on Hope you don't have lifetime warranty. Certain products carry certain warranty.
Sorry Boom King. Are you saying you are an owner? Or hypothetical?

MrPlow

TMBC
Saying that, MrPlow, your hubs are an OEM Industry nine? sharing internals? What's the price for rims only please in 30mm internal? Any plans for asymmetrical profiles? Btw, great to have your participation here.
No worries mate. I used to lurk on farkin a fair bit back in the day. Another good Toowoomba product just like Zelvy and Graves
No we haven't used any parts from I9 actually. To be honest their pawls are pretty draggy. Damn sexy hub though!

Assymmetrical to me makes about as much sense as boost. Have never found any noticeable advantages in either to be honest. Remember any Carbon double wall rim has more structural integrity on its own and relies less on individual spokes than an alloy.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
If you have Zelvy on Hope you don't have lifetime warranty. Certain products carry certain warranty.
Sorry Boom King. Are you saying you are an owner? Or hypothetical?
Yep, 26 Zelvy on Hope Pro 2 Evo. Bought off you guys when you were building on Hope.

MrPlow

TMBC
Yep, 26 Zelvy on Hope Pro 2 Evo. Bought off you guys when you were building on Hope.
It depends when you purchased the wheels. But Lifetime warranty is only valid on 2018 wheelsets. You will either have the remainder of the 5 year warranty, or expired 2 year warranty.