Carbon Wheels what does it feel like riding one ?

MrPlow

TMBC
Since we are talking carbon wheels I have a set of 29er carbon fan rims sitting in customs atm. Once I get them laced up I will give a review.
I'm coming from narrowish alloy's, never ridden carbon rims and buying a 29mm Id asymmetrical rim..
My logic, for going with carbon fan over all the chinese jobies (and zelvy,curve,derby etc), is they have a wide rim that is light and not built for "enduro". I want wide rims but 90% of my local riding ain't black diamond runs and a heavy carbon rim is just weight I don't need for the coin spent. I just can't fathom spending $1-2k on a wheelset that is heavier than my few hundred buck dt swiss m1900's..
Anyways, I might have it all wrong but lets see later in Jan.
Why do you want wide rims that wide @Kerplunk ? Just curious. Are you a heavier kinda guy? Are your trails loose and loamy and steep?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why do you want wide rims that wide @Kerplunk ? Just curious. Are you a heavier kinda guy? Are your trails loose and loamy and steep?
I "need" new wheels as the set I have now have rubbish rear engagement that can't be upgraded without re-lacing.. They are 2kg as well.. Everyone that I have ridden with that have wide carbon rims rate them, all the mtb media rate them (don't rate this that highly), and all the big wheel manufacturers have moved across to wider rims. ..
Yep heavier than lighter @96kg, trails are loose over hard or hard pack.. Some are steep some are dead flat. Mainly i'm after a bigger bag with less psi. I'm not racing I just want more grip and cush if possible.
So at <$200 a rim i'm willing to experiment..

Last edited:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry. Who else agrees with @schred ?Do you all want me to stop posting?
I will happily stop giving my opinions if you feel it is out of line, cheers.
No mate, this is all a bit lost in translation, not that I have any sway what you do but I do actually want you to keep posting your general opinions just the same as every body else, really.

MrPlow

TMBC
I "need" new wheels as the set I have now have rubbish rear engagement that can't be upgraded without re-lacing.. They are 2kg as well.. Everyone that I have ridden with that have wide carbon rims rate them, all the mtb media rate them (don't rate this that highly), and all the big wheel manufacturers have moved across to wider rims. ..
Yep heavier than lighter @96kg, trails are loose over hard or hard pack.. Some are steep some are dead flat. Mainly i'm after a bigger bag with less psi. I'm not racing I just want more grip and cush if possible.
So at <$200 a rim i'm willing to experiment..
I think you are spot on the money then. Lighter guys don't need the bigger bag in a lot of situations, Mostly it slows them down.

But I would not suggest any wider than a 30mm internal as you will be limiting tyre choice a fair bit. I weigh 100kg (Thanks Coopers:rolleyes: ) I run a 2.5 WT minion DHF on the front, and a 2.4? SS on the back, Toowoomba tracks are hardpack an fairly pedally in places, I was on a WT on the rear too, but it was like having a brake dragging. Hope this helps!
No mate, this is all a bit lost in translation, not that I have any sway what you do but I do actually want you to keep posting your general opinions just the same as every body else, really.
All good, plenty gets lost in translation on the emotionless keyboard :)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Sorry. Who else agrees with @schred ?Do you all want me to stop posting?
I will happily stop giving my opinions if you feel it is out of line, cheers.
All good, plenty gets lost in translation on the emotionless keyboard :)
I think schred was suggesting that there can be a bit of a fuzzy line at times between expert knowledge and plain old subversive advertising, and the emotionless keyboard only serves to make that line even fuzzier; as a fellow industry insider it is something I try to be wary of.

My view is that more expert knowledge posted in a general context can only be a good thing, but we should be mindful to leave professional allegiances at the door to avoid accusations of spamming, unless the topic is specifically about our products, then go nuts.

Short version, please keep posting valuable insights. :)

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you are spot on the money then. Lighter guys don't need the bigger bag in a lot of situations, Mostly it slows them down.

But I would not suggest any wider than a 30mm internal as you will be limiting tyre choice a fair bit. I weigh 100kg (Thanks Coopers:rolleyes: ) I run a 2.5 WT minion DHF on the front, and a 2.4? SS on the back, Toowoomba tracks are hardpack an fairly pedally in places, I was on a WT on the rear too, but it was like having a brake dragging. Hope this helps!
Yep agree, after trawling mtbr and reading a lot 30 id seems the limit for normal none plus tyres.. Currently running a hans damph on the front, a mate has it on 30 id easton rims and they blow up pretty big.