Carbonda FM1003 "Super Enduro"

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Wow nice looking bike!

Are you happy with the frame quality. All the bits and bobs appear to be aligned and straight? Might be keen on something like that but slightly lesser travel. I love a single pivot solid rear triangle bikes!

zooks

Likes Dirt
Is there much pedal bob when climbing (thinking shock unlocked, smooth climb trails/fireroad)?
Slight incline very little bob, if any

Does it maintain traction while braking over loose/chattery rocks/braking bumps, or tend to firm up the rear suspension and make it hard not to lock the rear wheel and slide around a bit?
Haven't noticed anything like this. I'll try take note of this over the next few rides. But TBH i dont think i ride that fast as others out there so i may not notice. Although wouldn't this maybe be more of a suspension setup thing?

Wow nice looking bike!

Are you happy with the frame quality. All the bits and bobs appear to be aligned and straight? Might be keen on something like that but slightly lesser travel. I love a single pivot solid rear triangle bikes!
Thanks! Very happy with quality of frame. They have a different model frame which supports less travel

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Slight incline very little bob, if any
Sweet, sounds good.

Haven't noticed anything like this. I'll try take note of this over the next few rides. But TBH i dont think i ride that fast as others out there so i may not notice. Although wouldn't this maybe be more of a suspension setup thing?
Nah, it's a suspension design thing. Some designs try to extend the rear suspension when braking, some try to contract it, and some are kinda neutral.

Don't stress too much about it, if it's not a problem you've noticed it's probably neutral and not worth stressing about.

Thanks for the feedback, just awaiting an e-mail back from Carbonda.

Amusingly I might end up with a very similar colour-scheme as I have a lot of red-anno components left over from my FM936 build! :p

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Sweet, sounds good.

Nah, it's a suspension design thing. Some designs try to extend the rear suspension when braking, some try to contract it, and some are kinda neutral.

Don't stress too much about it, if it's not a problem you've noticed it's probably neutral and not worth stressing about.

Amusingly I might end up with a very similar colour-scheme as I have a lot of red-anno components left over from my FM936 build! :p
You change faster then Melbourne weather.

beeb

You change faster then Melbourne weather.
Haha, don't I though!

I'm going crazy without an MTB though and just need to get riding again, and the value of these is really hard to pass up. Even if it didn't end up being a forever bike it'd still make a damn nice bike in the interim. I was really happy with the quality of both the FM936 and FM1001 I had, and still have about half a bike worth of compatible spares for this frame at home too - so it would make for a damn good "budget" bike with way better spec-to-price ratio than what I'd get otherwise!

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Haha, don't I though!

I'm going crazy without an MTB though and just need to get riding again, and the value of these is really hard to pass up even if it didn't end up being a forever bike it'd still make a damn nice bike in the interim. I was really happy with the quality of both the FM936 and FM1001 I had, and still have about half a bike worth of compatible spares for this frame at home too - so it would make for a damn good "budget" bike with way better spec-to-price ratio than what I'd get otherwise!
1676249020580.gif

zooks

Likes Dirt

Exciting!!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Sweet, sounds good.

Got some rims if you want them too!

beeb

Thank you! How do we read these graphs? Good? Bad?
It's just a graph of how much leverage the swingarm has over the shock as it progresses through its travel. Starts off with a fairly high ratio (lots of mechanical advantage over the shock, ie: softer feel), and ramps up smoothly to a relatively firm ratio. It's what's referred to as a "progressive" linkage design, and thanks to the consistent rate of change the shock's not having to try and mask any weird changes it ratio throughout the travel. (Some suspension design have various parts of the travel progressive, linear (ie: not increasing or decreasing), or regressive (ie: the suspension actually gains more leverage over the shock as it goes through its travel). Fortunately this design ramps up consistently (sometimes confusingly dubbed "linearly progressive") throughout the travel, so there's no weird midstroke dead spots where the suspension would be doughy, or too rough whatever like you can see with some dual-link systems with funky U or S shaped curves. Theoretical downside with this design and an airshock is it might be hard to use all the travel as an air shock typically ramps up towards the end of travel due to the rising spring rate that occurs when compressing air, though you're running the MegNeg aircan anyway so it's probably fairly linear as far as air shocks go. Coil might offer a smidge more midstroke support, and less bottom out resistance. On the flipside, you might like the midstroke feel of your airshock, and want to have more deepstroke resistance in case of "Oh shit!" moments or preventing the BB getting too low on bigger hits. It's a pretty forgiving suspension design.

In a few weeks I'll be able to see how it plays with a coil for myself. ;)

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
It's just a graph of how much leverage the swingarm has over the shock as it progresses through its travel. Starts off with a fairly high ratio (lots of mechanical advantage over the shock, ie: softer feel), and ramps up smoothly to a relatively firm ratio. It's what's referred to as a "progressive" linkage design, so the shock's not trying to mask any weird changes it ratio throughout the travel. Fortunately this means it ramps up consistently throughout the travel, so there's no weird midstroke dead spots where the suspension would be doughy, or too rough whatever like you can see with some dual-link systems. Theoretical downside with an airshock is it might be hard to use all the travel as an air shock ramps up towards the end of travel due to the rising spring rate that occurs when compressing air, though you're running the MegNeg aircan anyway so it's probably fairly linear as far as air shocks go. Coil might offer a smidge more midstroke support, and less bottom out resistance. You might like the midstroke feel of your airshock, and want more deepstroke resistance in case of "Oh shit!" moments or preventing the BB getting too low on bigger hits. It's a pretty forgiving suspension design.

And coil fork?!

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
It's just a graph of how much leverage the swingarm has over the shock as it progresses through its travel. Starts off with a fairly high ratio (lots of mechanical advantage over the shock, ie: softer feel), and ramps up smoothly to a relatively firm ratio. It's what's referred to as a "progressive" linkage design, and thanks to the consistent rate of change the shock's not having to try and mask any weird changes it ratio throughout the travel. (Some suspension design have various parts of the travel progressive, linear (ie: not increasing or decreasing), or regressive (ie: the suspension actually gains more leverage over the shock as it goes through its travel). Fortunately this design ramps up consistently (sometimes confusingly dubbed "linearly progressive") throughout the travel, so there's no weird midstroke dead spots where the suspension would be doughy, or too rough whatever like you can see with some dual-link systems with funky U or S shaped curves. Theoretical downside with this design and an airshock is it might be hard to use all the travel as an air shock typically ramps up towards the end of travel due to the rising spring rate that occurs when compressing air, though you're running the MegNeg aircan anyway so it's probably fairly linear as far as air shocks go. Coil might offer a smidge more midstroke support, and less bottom out resistance. On the flipside, you might like the midstroke feel of your airshock, and want to have more deepstroke resistance in case of "Oh shit!" moments or preventing the BB getting too low on bigger hits. It's a pretty forgiving suspension design.

Nice. I almost bought one too but then Banshee had 25% off.

I do wonder about the accuracy of that graph.