Carbonda FM936 carbon all-rounder

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think people love to bag Chinese carbon but I've got an Epic copy from 2010 that must have 5,000km on it and never had an issuewith it. I'm not saying they are all great but people are far to eager to make comments like 'I hope your health insurance is good' with little or no understanding of carbon and its failure modes. Good work for taking the punt.
This is a concerning change in taste though, I thought you were a Ti man through and through.
I'm looking forward to the ride report.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
needs a touch more fettling
Considered a lightish trail tyre on the front ? I have found the percentage loss of grip is minor to the trail speed gained and makes climbing so much easier.

When I swapped the maxxis out for a race, to a set of aggressive XC tyres. It transformed the bike.
I'll go a little bit more aggressive on the front when the tyre I want becomes available, I'm looking for a Vittoria Agarro or Martello.

You should try a Dissector or maybe a regular Rekon.

Maybe just try it once and see what you think.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Considered a lightish trail tyre on the front ? I have found the percentage loss of grip is minor to the trail speed gained and makes climbing so much easier.

When I swapped the maxxis out for a race, to a set of aggressive XC tyres. It transformed the bike.
I'll go a little bit more aggressive on the front when the tyre I want becomes available, I'm looking for a Vittoria Agarro or Martello.

You should try a Dissector or maybe a regular Rekon.

Maybe just try it once and see what you think.
It’ll be on the cards in Autumn, but Youies turns into a sandpit over summer so I’ll keep the tractor tyre up front for the next few months. :)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Carbonda said:
Business Concept: Quality first, customer supremacy
Dr beebenson, member of the Order of Customer Supremacy. Congratualtions.

AM model looks pretty cool, very steep seat tube though.

Is 67/77 on yours a combo you don't see much? I don't even look if it's higher than 65 these days ;) Does big reach on bikes make the stack smaller? These have a huge reach, I'm comparing to the Banshee Titan, smaller reach, larger stack.

beeb

Dr beebenson, member of the Order of Customer Supremacy. Congratualtions.

AM model looks pretty cool, very steep seat tube though.

Is 67/77 on yours a combo you don't see much? I don't even look if it's higher than 65 these days ;) Does big reach on bikes make the stack smaller? These have a huge reach, I'm comparing to the Banshee Titan, smaller reach, larger stack.
With the longer fork, mine's roughly 66HA/76STA.

Long reach doesn't directly effect stack. The stack height on these is low because they're designed around a 100mm 29er fork. XC bandits love low stack height because climbing efficiency or looking all aero-tuck or something... The 500mm reach is much longer than I normally run, so once the extra fork height and a couple of spacers are added in it all ends up about the same as my Sentinel. 66HA is fine for what I ride, and makes it less prone to the front understeering if I'm not in full "attack" (stance).

Alexxx

Likes Dirt
Looks awesome and I'm tempted to do a similar build if my Fox 34's get delivered by CRC.

With the matte finish are there any issues with frame protection staying in place and where did you end up getting the shock from?

beeb

Looks awesome and I'm tempted to do a similar build if my Fox 34's get delivered by CRC.

With the matte finish are there any issues with frame protection staying in place and where did you end up getting the shock from?
I didn’t put any frame protection on it aside from my Sugru chainstay protector tbh. So far so good with that. Never had issue with the Sugru on my (bare) titanium frames, so should be fine on this too hopefully. If you’re not in a major hurry, I’d honestly recommend getting it painted for a bit of scratch (and additional UV) protection. The “black matte” is really more of a high-fill undercoat to get the frame ready ready for paint (IMO). I got the shock through one of Ze Germans (Bike24 I think?) via a freight forwarder, but it was the last one in stock. Remote options are hard to come by, but non-remote are easier. It pedals pretty well with the shock open, and while the trail mode improves things slightly it doesn’t change things a heap to be truthful. 430lb/f lockout makes it feel like a hard tail when you push that lever all the way in though. ;)

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I didn’t put any frame protection on it aside from my Sugru chainstay protector tbh. So far so good with that. Never had issue with the Sugru on my (bare) titanium frames, so should be fine on this too hopefully. If you’re not in a major hurry, I’d honestly recommend getting it painted for a bit of scratch (and additional UV) protection. The “black matte” is really more of a high-fill undercoat to get the frame ready ready for paint (IMO). I got the shock through one of Ze Germans (Bike24 I think?) via a freight forwarder, but it was the last one in stock. Remote options are hard to come by, but non-remote are easier to come by. It pedals pretty well with the shock open, and while the trail mode improves things slightly it doesn’t change things a heap to be truthful.
I dipped my toe in the rabbit hole, those colours are pretty spectacular. I can already see the design in my head :rolleyes:

beeb

I dipped my toe in the rabbit hole, those colours are pretty spectacular. I can already see the design in my head :rolleyes:
Haha, nice!

What fork are you planning? Are you thinking about staying with a 100mm fork to keep the steering a fraction sharper? The 120mm feels balanced enough, but definitely makes the geo feel pretty eager for descending…

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Haha, nice!

What fork are you planning? Are you thinking about staying with a 100mm fork to keep the steering a fraction sharper? The 120mm feels balanced enough, but definitely makes the geo feel pretty eager for descending…
Oh, no, don't make me solidify my plans you evil swine!

It'll be black and orange, kinda the same design as the Procal but that kinda grates a bit, it is a new bike after all. All I need is forks, shock and a drivetrain, I reckon I have everything else in the shed. 100mm both ends as I don't need more than that, curious about Fox, but I like the SIDs so I don't know......

Edit: that's a Hambo-dream by the way, there's a Trek Y-11 and a Turner 5spot waitng for cash to be spent on them.

beeb